Topeak Power 21 Tools

21 Functions to take care of any mechanical problem thrown at you. Two piece design allows you to use both tools in conjunction with each other. This is one tool that would make McGyver proud. Features: 21 Functions - the most of any multi-tool available. Tools all fit conveniently into two compartment neoprene case Tough heat treated cromoly construction Tools include: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 mm Allen Wrenches 8, 9, 10, 14, 15 mm Box Wrenches, Small flat head screwdriver, Universal chain tool, 2 Spoke Wrenches for 14g and DT, Combo T Wrench and leverage bar, Stainless Steel U chain hook, 3 Glueless patches, sandpaper and 2 tire levers Size: (LxWxH) 3.6 x 2.24 x 1 inch

[May 21, 2018]
donjuggalo

OVERALL
Strength:

So many tools in one small package, good quality for price, excellent tire levers, lasted me 20 years!

Chain holding wire is too easy to lose (I did), chain tool broke...but took 20 years. Still, it's the one part that doesn't feel so sturdy. Can't complain though as long as it lasted. The inner of the pouch should be more reinforced. I do have a few small holes in mine, and I'm very careful. Overall...minor things. This is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Price Paid:
2017
[May 01, 2017]
coufeyrac

OVERALL
Strength:

multi multi multi MULTI tool

Allen keys wear down after a while, some poor tool positions

I bought this tool in 1996 and it is still going strong for me. I don't know what people are doing with the chain tool - my pin has never fallen out and it's never broken, but then I also picked up a pair of amazing carbon wheels because they had gone out of true and the person thought you had to replace them when that happened. He never heard of a spoke wrench.

I've used it on everything from 3-speeds to 11-speeds without any trouble. In the Dolomites when a friend's pedal kept unscrewing itself I was the only guy around with a 15mm wrench to put it back on. Coming down the hills of Umbria when another friend's headset started chattering away, i pulled out my trusty Power 21 with its headset wrenches and tightened it back up. When I spotted a guy training in France with only one crankarm, reached into my bag, put the two bits together like some kind of Transformer (more than meets the eye) and had more than enough torque to wrench that puppy back on and let him ride home normally. When my front brakes failed coming downhill from work, thanks to the 2 tools I could hold the spring tensioner and tighten the allen bolt.

And yes, you can open a beer with it.

Basically the box says it all - carry this, or carry your bike.

I admit though, that some of the tools are poorly positioned. The flathead screwdriver adjusting front derailleur screws on a road bike... 1/8 turn at a time (maybe that's a feature to prevent you from over turning them?), small allen keys that can stick in your palm if you don't watch out or learn from day one to use the neoprene cover as a handle or to use the second piece as an extension to give you more torque, some difficult to access box wrench heads (nope... doesn't fit this way, let me flip it and... still no... how about, OOH OOH! Almost! Now if I just... AH!!! There we go! Now only 1/4 turn and let me flip it again...)

[May 08, 2008]
Miguel

OVERALL
Strength:

When I bought this tool back in 1997, I thought it was a neat little design. I especially liked how you could combine both sides to give you extra leverage and torque when you needed it.

I was solo biking in Moose Pass, Alaska- on a trail to Johnson Lake. Suddenly my chain went snap. No problem, I thought, I have this trusty Topeak tool. Wrong- I broke the chain tool after removing the pins. Damn thing failed me when I most needed it. Not good. Since I started late in the afternoon- about 5pm- and since it was September, I could not walk the twenty-something mile hike out of there before dark. I forgot all about night. I hadn't experienced it for three months, though the heavy cloud cover didn't help the light conditions. So I ended up spending the night alone on the side of the trail, under-geared, in the rain, smack-dab in the middle of grizzly country. Between my paranoia and the multitude of curses I uttered at Topeak, I didn't sleep a wink.

Emergency tools should function in emergency situations. If you hear about the a specific failure repeated by numerous customers you should be very wary indeed.

Topeak Alien, Cook Bros., and others

[Jun 06, 2003]
RockinRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Has everything you really need in an emergency.

Pay no attention to the people beeyatchin' about this tool. If you're looking for something fairly light that gets the job done, look no further. I've gone through two (only because I lost the first one) in five years and it's tough to beat.
Yeah the tire levers may be crap, but a real man could use his hands for that anyway.

numerous Aliens

[Jan 03, 2002]
jacob lea

OVERALL
Strength:

Its light and has alot of tools

The bag sucks it gets holes in it every where the tool touches it. The tools arn't situated in very good position's. Where is the phillips head screwdriver.

This product is reasonable but a bit dear for what it realy is. If you are just a casual rider this tool would be ideal.
But if you are a bit of a hard core rider you want some thing a little better.

[Sep 21, 2000]
Luke

OVERALL
Strength:

Functional, comes with rattle free pouch, tons of tools,compact design

Tool heads are cramped.

Excellent tool. Practically everything you will need for an emergency repair except perhaps a really fat (8mm for shocks/cranks) allen, but if you maintain your bike off the trail, that'll never be a problem.
The tool heads are really close together. I work in a bike shop so I guess im just a little resourceful, and I don't mind having to turn a screw only 1/2 of a turn each time, afterall, it's an emergency tool.
If I wanted convenience, Id carry a $300 Park pit kit and a $300 race stand. I can't whine, its well built and very useful.
I'd reccomend this to anyone who wants a sturdy, compact, well engineered trail tool who keeps care of their babies off of the trail.
If you don't have the patience to turn screws a little tiny bit each time, find a fold out tool kit (bulkier, heavier, noisier) that will suit your needs better.

Ritcheys, and parks

[Jul 23, 1997]
John Escaleira
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I purchased the Topeak Power 21 rated 4 stars by Bicycling magazine (Nov. '96). Well it works great it fits nicely underneath my saddle and has so many different tools to choose from. One thing, the tire levers are very thin so that they will fit nicely in the bag and they break pretty easy and they only give you two.

[Jul 16, 1997]
Jim
weekend warrior

OVERALL

The allen's are rough and slightly undersized. They have a tendency to strip bolts. Heve no use on my bike for the box/socket wrenches. No philips. Haven't needed to use the spoke wrench or chain tool. I have had this tool for a week. I think I will return it. Nice and compact. Missing some required tools, (i.e., good screw drivers). Should be updated for current bike repair requirements. Great concept. Poor craftsmanship. It will work in a pinch (i.e., it will tighten, but can strip bolts).

[Aug 07, 1999]
BlueDevil

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, own bag, lots of useful tools, a guide for what to use where (how to put the 2 pieces together to maximize torque etc.)

Haven't found any yet

I never want another multi tool because this one works great! I've used it for minor adjustments on the trail quite a few times. The chain tool worked when I needed it to as did everything else.
5 chilis for no complaints!

[Aug 04, 1999]
thecool533
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

has alot of tools and compact.

One of the small allen wrenches broke off.

Good overall tool.

A handful of tools.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.