Park Tool TS-3 Master Truing Stand Tools

When only the best will do, choose the Park TS-3 Truing Stand. Build wheels with incredible trueness and roundness. Top quality materials ensure many years of service.

[Dec 18, 2002]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

This stand accomodates extra-wide axle spacing as used on many modern tandems. Looks great; precise; replacement parts are available, as with most Park Tool products. Takes optional dial gauges if desired. Comes with a calibration gauge that allows you to quickly calibrate for accurate wheel-dish indication, without using a separate dishing tool. Faster to load a wheel than a stock TS-2, thanks to the slide bearings.

Could use more clearance for large mountain tires. In my experience, dial gauges haven't proven to be very practical in day-to-day usage, so the ability to add dial gauges may not be a benefit. I prefer my custom (flywheel-equipped) TS-2 as a "daily driver" in a bicycle-shop setting.

"Performing art" is the phrase that comes to mind. Everyone will be jealous of your TS-3, but the TS-2 with TSB-2 (plus a dishing tool) is a worthy alternative. Buy it if you want "the best" instead of "the best for the dollar."

Customized TS-2 with TSB-2 base, see http://mechbgon.tripod.com for picture.

[Dec 31, 2003]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff, well machined, precise, stable, able to use dial indicators

Does not dish as well as advertised

I would not have bought this if it weren't for Park Tool having these on their website at the beginning of the year at only $269.00 direct, anybody able to order it. IMO it is not worth the $469.00 list. But, it IS worth the $100 over the TS-2 that I paid for it. It is more percise and easier to use, and stays straight in line to the hub, unlike the TS-2. Plus, you load the hub by using a quick release to clamp the wheel in, so if you are building from scratch it is more precise. A TS-2 is better for speed, or for truing up wheels, but the TS-3 is by far better for quality hand built wheels. I have built 3 sets of expensive exotic wheels with mine (and trued others wheels) and I am VERY pleased with it, but like I said before, at the price I paid for it. I do use a dishing tool to be sure of the dish though, and their is a discrepency between the 2, so I will not say that it is 100% reliable w/o a dishing tool, but it is close. There is no need for dial indicators on this thing because you can really get the rim down to about absolutely perfect and be sooo close that you can hardly see any irregularities in the truness of the rim. It is also nice to be able to have side to side and hop of the rim be measured both at once, which you can't do w/ the TS-2 all at one time. I guess it just comes down to whether or not you will take the time and build a few sets of rims that have very good components with it. If so, it's a very worthy tool to have, and will last a lifetime of use, even pass it down the line to the next generation! I will rate this 5 for 5 in both categories, but if you pay retail I think it's only worth about 3 in value.

Park TS-2

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.