Park Tool TR5 Truing Stand Attachment for PCS/PRS Tools

[Jul 03, 2002]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Small size, easy to attach to Park stands, simple.

Not as good as a regular truing stand.

This is better than using the brake pads for me as I have a disc set up. It is more accurate too. Although you have to flip the wheel to get at both sides it still works fine considering the price and size. It is simple, and for the most part, works for it's intended purpose. I suppose you can try yo build a set of wheels with this device, but I'm sure a regular stand would be better for that. I'm satisfied with it.
3 flamers for value as a more reasonable price would be less than $20 in my opinion.

Unknown name truing stand.

[Jan 03, 2004]
Wally

OVERALL
Strength:

It's cheap, and adjust for any size wheel. It doesn't take up valuable work bench space. It appeals to the minimalist in me.

Difficult to use as designed, because you need to push the wheel UP into the stand and then tighten the skewer (See below for my suggestion for correcting this problem). It doesn't hold the wheel very well, as it only attaches to one side. You need to add a spacer to the other side, or else you can't tighten the QR skewer (I use a 10mm open-face wrench). It doesn't allow for extremely precise adjustments, and is rather inaccurate for wheel dishing purposes, as any play in your axle will cause the wheel to sag to one side. It's probably not suitable for wheel building, but I haven't tried that yet. I seriously wonder if the design engineers at Park Tool actually tried using this thing...

You get what you pay for... If you plan to build wheels, or enjoy the satisfaction of working with quality tools, and you're not a cheap-skate like I am, then you probably don't want to buy this thing. However, if you do, I would propose the following performance modification: Flip the mount over and move it to the other side of the workstand, so the wheel can slip down into the bent-plate steel bracket. You may need to grind off one corner of the bent plate to make it fit. Good luck!

Upside down bike.

[Aug 05, 2003]
Phillip

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and simple. Does the job.

Not as good as a real trueing stand, but what do you expect for $20.00.

It'll do you fine for the most part, I wouldn't be building any wheels from scratch with it, but to get that slight warp out it's great. Of course it's not as precise as the real trueing stand, but I don't think anyone would expect to be.

[Jun 18, 2002]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

cost

Not functional

I had this product for a week and returned it because the break pads on the bike did a better job. It was clumsy to set up, and not accurate. You could use a block of wood and do the same thing. Since it only holds the wheel with one side of the axil, and only checks one side for high and low spots, it is not very useful.

Break pads on the bike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.