Park Tool PRS-5 Professional Race Stand Tools

Park Professional Race Stand (PRS-5)

[Dec 12, 2001]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Holds bike securely in any position. Portable. Pretty indestructable.

Bolts rust (hey Park! use stainless!)
Clamp needs slow manual adjust for different tube sizes.

If you have only one stand, this is the one. Works great, portable to take to the races, or to take outside to wash the bike. Holds the bike securely at any angle, even upside down. Clamp won't crush tubing *IF* used correctly.

But: if you wash the bike with this stand, the bolts holding it together rust. $10 at the local metric hardware emporium will replace them all with stainless ones, but on a $200 stand, Park should supply them.

And: every time you grab a different bike, you need to readjust the clamp - a tricky operation if you're holding the bike in one hand. I always clamp to the seat tube (well, if the seat tube is installed) but there are still several sizes. (That's why you see so many pro mechanics just hang the bike on the stand if they're only doing minor work).

If you've got a discount coupon for a single item, or want a christmas present, get one. Even if you win the lottery and can afford anything, get one.

Tree and rope.

[Sep 21, 1998]
eboos
racer

OVERALL

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit disipointed with the PRS-5. It is not very stable when you have to realy wrench down (removing cranks or bottom brackets). One thing that I think would help is if you could lock the legs in the open position. I do a lot of repairs and servicing for mine and my friends bikes. In the past week I have worked on 8 bikes plus 2 complete overhauls. I got this stand, because my space is very limited and I will be moving a couple of times soon. This is my first stand, so I realy can't compare it with any other. On the plus side, it is very portible, and very easy to set up and use. The clamp is strong.

[Mar 27, 1998]
Kent Smith
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I bought the PRS-5 over the Ultimate. The Ultimate I viewed in the shop had a stripped out clamp bolt. I ordered the Park stand from Performance and have used it extensively since. It is great, and I would recommend it. Very portable. It includes a carry case with a special inside zippered pouch for the clamp.

[Jun 29, 2000]
Sherman

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable height
Foldable
Comes with a bag
Strong Clamp
Adjustability

Plastic parts

This is a great stand, it does cost more than the consumer model but in my opinion I think it is well worth it. It has height adjustment and it can fold up in a bag so you can travel with it easily. Some of the parts are plastic but I think they will be durable enough. The clamp holds the bike in place and it is excellent for working on your brakes or drivetrain. If you are debating on whether you should buy this stand or the consumer then get this one because you will regret getting the cheaper one when this one has the better clamp and the foldability, which by the way comes in handy when you live in a small house or apartment.

[Jun 29, 2000]
Randy

OVERALL
Strength:

Infinitely Adjustable
Portable

Stability becomes an issue on uneven ground
A little on the expensive side

Undoubtedly the most valuable tool in my possession. I've been doing a lot of work on both my bikes and this stand has been an invaluable piece of equipment. The portability and adjustability means I can take it just about anywhere & everywhere and have decent space to work.

A couple issues though. It gets a little tough to get it stable when the groung underneath isn't exactly level. I especially find it tilting somewhat towards the front of the bike. I suppose if I removed the front wheel everytime it might be more stable. And it is a little expensive. I mean, $230 isn't the most appealling price.

Either way, if you do decide to buy it and find that you use it alot (like myself), the price justifies the purchase many times over. Definitely, not for the occassional tweaker.

3 for the price, 4.5 overall (I guess I'll round up to 5)

Now, if there was only a better base...

[Feb 23, 2000]
Russell Seaton

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, easy to move with bike clamped in it, great adjustable clamp.

Great adjustable clamp does not work with oversize frame tubing. $230 is not cheap.

Get a workstand. It makes working on the bike so much nicer. I've had my Park for about 3 years or so. Numerous complete overhauls and constant maintenance/tinkering. It is permanently setup in the living room. Having a workstand seems to promote constant working on bikes. Folded up this one is very compact and easy to carry in its bag. The clamp is infinitely adjustable for pressure. You can grip a tube tightly or loosely. It does not open up wide enough for oversize tubes. I am forced to grip the seatpost on the mountain bike. Maybe not a bad thing. But on some of the road bikes there is not enough seatpost exposed to get the clamp on. At least 4 inches of post must be exposed. The arm with the clamp does sag when a bike is in it. So when gripping a seatpost the bike is not exactly vertical. Mine had a stripped nut on one of the black brackets. I called Park and explained the problem and they sent a new one. Good customer service. The whole thing is some kind of plastic, composite, etc. Mine has not broken so it must be strong enough. I do not make the stand take the force of hard wrenching. I hold the bike with one hand and the tool with the other. Or counter balance the force in some other way. If heavy duty use is your goal then get the heavy duty PRS-3 stand. Height adjustability is nice. I don't use it too much but its nice to have it. When the bike is held at an odd angle up high the stand is not super steady but it still won't tip over. The all steel PRS-3 would undoubtedly be more steady at odd angles. The stand does not get in the way too much when working on the bike. You cannot trip over the legs. Something you can do with the Trek ultimate stand. Get the Park handlebar holder. Its also wonderful and essential when the front wheel is off the ground. I don't regret buying the PRS-5.

Floor and string tied to floor joists in the basement. Wasn't very stable.

[Dec 23, 1999]
Spud

OVERALL
Strength:

Folds up and stashes away in a storage bag, clamp, fairly steady

Expensive, $200 from Bikeworld.com, unstable when you rotate the bike away from the vertical

It makes working on the bike a pleasure. It has been stable for most operations including pulling cranks and the like. I like being able to fold it up and take it with me.

Little crutch doodad that hooks under downtube, walls, sofa, etc.

[Nov 14, 1999]
fastsnail

OVERALL
Strength:

Folds up and away. Easy to set up, take down. Sturdy.

None.

Good investment if you have a decent set of tools and you work on your bike frequently. If not, go for the cheaper model or ask the LBS to help out.

The ones at the bike shop.

[Oct 04, 1999]
Ben
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Light,portible and easy to use. Clamp works great.

None.

This is a very good stand for the price,and works great on almost any bike.
Very strong and holds bikes solid.

[Jun 01, 1999]
Amateur Wrench

OVERALL
Strength:

Portable; great clamp; height adjustment

Excellent product. Because it's portable I can work on bikes indoors or out, rain or shine. It will not clamp oversize tubes (OCLV and Fat aluminum)but clamping the seatpost is better anyway. Worth the extra bucks over the consumer stand.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.