Park Tool Mini Tool Kit Tools

Park Mini Tool Kit (PPM-1)

[Jul 16, 2009]
Nubster

OVERALL
Strength:

Compact, fits in my seat pouch. Decent assortment of tools including a chain tool (see weakness).

Lacks a phillips head screw driver. Did not notice that until I needed it on the trail. Allen wrenches could be a little longer to make them more usable. The chain tool SUX. I used it once and the pin on the tool bent so bad it cannot be used anymore. Have not contact Park yet to see if they will do anything about it. But that alone is enough for me to not recommend this product. I would rather carry a multi-tool that is a little better designed and a separate chain tool.

The idea behind the tool is good, but the execution is lacking. If you only want it for a very occasional use then it might be a good choice but if you ride hard your going to break things and you need a good tool in your bag. I will be replacing this one for sure. I am giving it 3 for value because the assortment of tools is decent but a 2 for overall because it just does not work as well as it should. Again, not bad if your not going to need it often, but for those who will I say look elsewhere.

None.

[Apr 11, 2006]
Dusty

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatility. Available hex and metric bolt sizes. Compactness. Light weight.

Pig iron/pot metal construction.

This review is for the MT-1 tool. I have owned 2 of these. The first one broke in half midshaft closer to the 3-6-8 mm hex end while tightening a crank bolt (LBS promptly replaced). Probably should've used a proper shop wrench. The slotted screwdriver rounded out on some cleat bolts.
The second one has lasted longer. Rounded out the 4 mm hex wrench on seatpost bolts. This is supposed to be tool steel. Have not had to use the metric bolt wrenches yet. I think I'll stick with the Craftsman hex wrenches for now, thank you very much.

Craftsman hex wrenches.

[Sep 14, 2000]
Paul Patterson

OVERALL
Strength:

Great quality, seperate tools, all tools are available seperately if replacement is needed.

The MT-1 multi-tool is useless and the non-availability of the newer MT-2 tool.

The tool kit is very well thought out and is much more useable than some of those 30-in-one types. I found the MT-1 multi-tool to be useless and replaced it with a 4 inch adjustable wrench and a Topeak folding hex tool that included - and + screwdrivers. This added some weight, but the setup is still very compact and easy to carry. The tire boots work surprisingly well. Last year I busted a tire and had to use the TB-1 to get home on, and it worked. The chain tool and spoke wrench work very well. The TL-1 tire levers work really well on high pressure road tires and the new glueless patches are a pleasure to use.

I found it interesting that Park on their web-site, www.parktool.com (Go to "tool lists") recommend that you carry the AWS-9 and the RW-3 with these tools, why are they not included to begin with? One additional bone I have with Park tools is that the new PPM-2 includes an 8,9,and 10mm open end wrench that is not available seperately for those of us who would like to upgrade.

Overall I like these tools and still carry them. I would recommend this kit to both road and MTB riders who actually intend to use their tools. Unlike those 30-in-one's out there, thses tools really work. The new PPM-2 seems to be an improvement, but is clearly aimed at MTB riders. The new flat tire levers will work fine on MTB tires, but I'm not sure how they'll work on higher pressure road tires. It's because of the mostly useless MT-1 that I'm only giving this a four flammer rating.

Regular hand tools.

[Mar 31, 2000]
Ewan M

OVERALL
Strength:

The chain tool is great.The tire leavers are very strong and useful.

The screwdriver/wrench is mostly useless

The tool is great and has pulled my friends and myself out of a lot of trouble in the middle of nowhere. The chain tool is outstanding and very useful. I recommend this tool to anyone who considers quality a necessity in their tool.

Topeak Alien

[Feb 22, 2000]
Russell Seaton

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice pouch. Excellent chain tool. OK spoke wrench. Good tire levers. Most of the tools are separate.

The little combination wrench/allen seems useless.

I paid $15 on closeout from Colorado Cyclist a year or so ago for the older version. Could not pass it up since the excellent chain tool is $12 separately. Pouch keeps everything together. Fits in the seatpack pretty well. Overall its not the lightest thing in the world but weight doesn't matter that much really. Tire levers are good. Never tried the patches yet. I just put the spare tube in and go. I keep a regular glue patch kit in the seatbag too. Spoke wrench is nice to have just in case. 3 size wrench will fit other people's bikes. I had to use it at home to true up the wheels on my new Raleigh mountain bike which came with Asian size nipples instead of DT size. I have never tried to use the combination wrench/allen tool. It sits in my cycling toolbox unused. I have lots of spare Allen wrenches so I just rubber banded the 2,3,4,5,6 sizes and put them in the pouch. I also put a little 3 inch Crescent wrench in the pouch too. It would be really nice if Park sold the pouch separately. Its quite useful.

regular tools only

[May 14, 1999]
Matt Bender
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Chain tool is nice, I have had the pins break on cheaper non-park models

the tools need to be more ergonomic.

This is a pretty nice trail kit, however like many of the other tools that park makes these are not hand friendly. They don't allow for a lot of leverage or a good grip. I should mention that the cheaper stuff is even worse. I wish that the case had a zipper or anything other than velcro on one side - I always wonder if somethings going to fall out. I haven't seen the new model yet, but I've heard that they have made many improvements. This model only gets three because I think that they have a long way to go.

other el`cheapos

[May 11, 1997]
Al Bisasky
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Good, basic tool kit, high quality, but not everything you need. I also carry a Park combination hex-, flathead-, phillips tool (looks like a Swiss Army Knife). The glueless patches beat heck outta the gooey-gluey ones. The nylon pouch is roomy enough and durable. $30 may seem a bit pricey to some, but I have found that a US made tools generaaly fit better and last longer. Based on the quality of this kit, I would not hesitate to buy the home outfit ($130).My only criticism is the spoke wrench. It's good, bu not great.

[Mar 30, 1997]
Tag
cross-country rider

OVERALL

Nice little kit. The patches gget a A+, The tire irons get a A, The wheel truing tool gets a B(My first one broke), and the Chain tool gets a B. All this in a convinient, durable case. I would recomend not depending on the multi tool to fix any thing, because its to hard to get into tight spaces.

[Mar 04, 1997]
Mike Harris
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I have yet to have a problem that this kit couldn't handle. Nice to have a pouch to keep everything together and from rattling around in my camelback pocket. I previously had a Richey CPR tool and I think it is better to have the separate tools.

[Feb 07, 1997]
Joseph Poerschke
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I don't have the whole took kit but I do have the MT-1 tool and the patches.
The patches work well, and I've repaired tubes at 25 degrees with them. I love
my MT-1 tool. Extreamly light weight. Wrench design gives lots of leverage
on the allen heads. Great for stems, cranks, and brake adjustment.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.