Park Tool Chain Cleaner Tools

Park Chain Cleaner

[Oct 05, 2002]
Cory Petty

OVERALL
Strength:

This Run-Of-the-Mill Paint Thinner works great.It cuts like a knife: You need to have 4 different kinds of Brushes, from Tooth, to Detail, to Paint.(The Wide One)

Have to have a lot of Paper Towel, and where Rubber gloves. Have to be well ventilated, and if you can soak your chain in thinner, it's all good!!I use a spray bottle.

Clean your chain with solvent, not that P**** Citris
S***! Remember, You can always solve it with solvent!!

Kerosine, Acrylsol,Adhesive Release.

[Oct 05, 2006]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use - using a little less common sense than degreaser, this thing works just fine. Doesn't bind or do any other bad stuff. I use WD-40 in it - works much better than simple green.

Doesn't work well with simple green. The pad that collects the extra solvent sticks to simple green and will bind or just get sucked out of the machine. It seems to drip no matter what. Also, there are no holes for the reservoir below the pad to drain back into the main reservoir. This would be a great help for bike shop use.

This will get a chain, in one run, as clean as you need it. I've used this thing 20 times a day for months and it's great. Use WD-40, wipe it off after you clean it, let it dry, and re-lube with your lube of choice. Let that dry and wipe off before riding. Don't use simple green. Other than that, get one if you like clean chains.

brushes, taking chains off, rags, etc

[Sep 04, 2001]
Matthew

OVERALL
Strength:

seems durable, easy to use

will not perform magical chain cleaning stunts, needs a drain bucket under it to prevent a mess.

I cleaned my chain once and it required about 20 cleaner changes using degreaser then soapy water and finally hot water to rinse. Considering how dirty the chain was this was about what I expected. The very first time I put it on the chain it was impossible to use smoothly and then the chain fell off but I never had that problem again. Considering the inherent difficulty in cleaning chains this product worked well. Don't buy this product if you expect miracles or don't mind taking the chain off and scrubing it by hand.

solvent tank/brush

[Mar 29, 2008]
botski

OVERALL
Strength:

I will stretch here, but I believe the strength of this product is that it is so bad it will inspire Park Tools to make something much better.

How do I count the ways. I love Park Tools with my heart and soul but this device is utterly amazingly crap.
1. The handle is designed to slide off the body. Why???? It's not like this thing is 100 cubic feet in volume and needs to be disassembled for storage. The handle was constantly coming off during use.
2. Cheap plastic. Broke after 3 uses. There are two metal rings that pop over the top plastic part and they kept falling out of the bottom plastic piece consistently as a prelude to the whole thing breaking.
3. Messy. Water and cleaner all over the place.
4. Created too much drag which caused the chain to pop off after 1-2 seconds of pedal rotation. This would not be a problem if you had a stand and could pedal forward.

My inner self will be at peace buying a new chain rather than farting around with this thing. A tool is supposed to help us, not hinder us. It really doesnt even deserve a flamin' chili.

[Jul 21, 2006]
Cross Country

OVERALL
Strength:

It will scrub your chain.

Made of the most brittle plastics on the planet.

This thing cleans my chain OK. But it breaks too easily. The first one I had shattered like glass when I dropped it from chain height. I was surprised to see it break like that, but since I *did* drop it, I figured I was to blame and I bought another. I used the second one about a half dozen times before one of the cogs inside exploded. That time it was clearly not of my doing. My LBS warrantied it, and I'm on number three now , babying it all the way. It is messy, as some reviewers complain, but that doesn't really bother me. I just wish they would stay together.

[Oct 06, 2001]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

It woked well.

The head of the hand brush kept popping out of its holder.

Park must have done a redesign of this thing. Its called the CG-2 chain cleaning system. It worked great. Just put the chain on both smallest cogs, snap the tool around the chain, fill it with supplied cleaner and crank away. It got the into the chain well and scrubbed the sides totally clean with minimal drippage. What the tool missed inside of the chain, the hand brush got afterwards. Just rest the chain on the stay and push bristles into the holes then re-run chain through the tool again to get the stuff the hand brush loosened up. No problems holding the tool or cranking the chain through it.
Did 2 fills on it and the chain looks like new. The old solvent washed out of the tool and its brushes real easy with hot water. It even has a magnet in the bottom to catch metal shards from re-depositing on the clean chain.
I did notice while cleaning it afterwards the pins might slip out of the round brush wheels pretty easy if not careful. Replacement pins can be bought at Bike Nashbar for $2.49
The only thing that sucked was the separate handbrush head kept popping out of its plastic holder. I loaded it up with RTV silicone and snapped it back in to fix that.
I paid WAY too much at Black Mountaqin Bikes but knew that going into the place.
Since I only used it once I'll write back if it turns into junk.
BTW I don't work for Park.

Here's the kit: http://www.parktool.com/tools/CG_2.shtml

Toothbrush and solvent.

[Jul 19, 1999]
Aaron
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Park name.

Does not work.

This thing is terrible. It does not work. I bought it, used it once and took it back for a refund. Hated it. Did not clean more than superficially. The design is fundamentally flawed. You cannot clean a chain with a couple dinky, little brushes in the center of that thing. They are simply and grossly insufficient. Do yourself a favor. Buy something else. Do not waste your money. Park has many wonderful products, but this is not one of them. Until they get a clue, avoid it at all costs. The Finish line product with several large brushes that oblige the chain to move up and down thru the cleaner is far superior. I don´t know if it´s the best, but is sure as hell is better than this design.

Finish Line chain cleaner

[Sep 26, 1998]
chris whitworth
cross-country rider

OVERALL

poor design. the resevoir does not retain the degreasing fluid so that you can dipense it at your own pace. rather, it pours into the lower resevoir at a great clip, so that thourougly cleaning the chain is not an option withou constantly refilling the upper resevoir. assuming you have any left after it has all spilled all over the floor

[Jan 13, 1997]
Richard May
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I do lots of bike work and repairs, and the Park Gear Cleaner does a great job at cleaning the chain. Just look at the dirty gunk that comes out when you are done. Other designs that I have seen like the Bibox have only pokers that just go down into the inside of the chain and do no brushing to get the crap off the chain. The brush that the kit comes with is also nice for manually cleaning the drivetrain. Another plus about the system is that once the Park degreaser runs out you can use paint thinner and it cleans just as well.

[May 25, 2001]
bigbon

OVERALL
Strength:

-cleans chain

can't tell when fluid in resevoir is used up

put some simple green in there turn it till the simple green is used up and let the cleaner sit for a few minutes then wipe off and lube. Somebody shoud be able to make one of these that is perfect.

toothbrush

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.