Park Tool Cable and Housing cutter Tools

Best Price At

The new CN-10 Cable and Housing Cutter is a shop quality cutter designed specifically for use on all bicycle cables and housing, including hard-to-cut index housing.

[Jul 29, 2014]
cjsb

OVERALL
Strength:

It is solid enough for self-defense.

It is horrible at its job-making clean cuts.

This is my review of having owned this piece of junk 5+ years and it NEVER providing a clean cut--not once! Today is the first time I have read about the locking nut adjustment, so I am going to try that and then post aanother review. But seriously, I have used maybe once or twice a year and it has sucked out of the box. How about shipping the tool with it properly adjusted? I guess you have to be in the LBS mechanic club for Park to ship the tool properly adjusted, do they send those guys emails on tool tips. I am being a little unfair to Park here, but I am pretty pissed off that I used this for this many years and it sucked and now I learn that it might be a simple adjustment. The next cut I make cannot be frayed, My dropper post won't accept a frayed end through the switch lever, whereas if the cut isn't too bad for a shifter you can get that nub over the end. Hopwfully the adjustment works and I can give this thing a higher rating.

[May 15, 2013]
cb76

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a Park Tool.
Cuts cables and housing flawlessly, once it is adjusted properly

Needs to adjusted properly

I had the same terrible thoughts about this tool. Bought it used it once in a while, had to pick the housing and break off the strands left by the poor cut. Today I was installing a new dropper seatpost and had the same issues. I thought, (no way Park is going to make crap and not do something about it!) Looked on their website and found out that the cutters need to be adjusted, i.e. no play in the handle. Loosen the LOCKNUT, tighten the SCREW, check for play, if none, test it on some crappy frayed cable you just cut with this tool before you adjusted it. Mine now cuts awesome. If you need a visual go to Parks Website

[Jul 29, 2011]
Al Jones

OVERALL
Strength:

Heavy construction, requires little effort to use

You have to use a awl or pick to open up the hole in the housing but from what I've read you need to do that with any cutter on the market

I havent used them a lot but they worked fine for me. I touched up the housing with my drummel but it's my understanding that is necessary with other cutter also.
These are definatly better than trying to use side cutters and making a mess out of the cable and houing

conventional side cutters-I messed up a lot of cables before I decided to spring for the Park Tools cutter

[Dec 12, 2007]
Tim

OVERALL

I'm astounded at all the negative reviews of this product. Either I got lucky and got the only good pair Park ever built, or there are a lot of people who have been using their cable cutters for tin snips.

What I find interesting, is some reviewers reported they have trouble cutting housing, and others had trouble cutting cable. Why is that. It just doesn't add up. If you put all the reviews together, the darn thing does every thing well, and doesn't do anything well.

I've been using the same cutters for about seven years now and have not had any of the problems described in the previous reviews. I always get a clean cut on housing and cable. It's not just gathering dust either. I use it often enough to tell me it is built well enough for shop use.

There is one other possibility I have only just now considered. I've never used any other cable cutters other than the Park's. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Too Baffled Tim

[Dec 06, 2006]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

Park name

Does not work

I am super disapointed with this product. I have a Park fourth hand tool and a park workstand, both of which are great quality. This cutter is not fit for its intended purpose, and is (in my opinion) a defectively designed product. It will not even cut through cable or housing. All it does is crush and mangle, and it is frustrating to no end. BUY THE SHIMANO CUTTERS. I used a pair at my LBS, and it is like butter. Clean, round, perfect cuts everytime. Park really ought to issue a recall and should sit in the corner with a dunce cap and think about what it's done, for this one.

Shimano

[Sep 04, 2006]
Less than 1 month

OVERALL
Strength:

Trek 970, x-9 drivetrain xt cranks, brakes, mx comp eta shocks

Strong

Not worth your money, from what i read the pedros is a better unit. I'll probably toss mine in the trash and buy the pedros.
Pretty expensive for not doing it's job.
First Park tool to let me down :<|>N

[Jan 02, 2006]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolutely NONE!!!

Everything, it crushes the end of the cable housing so you have to re-open the ends with like a pick. And the cables always fray sooo much when you try to cut them. If you ask me they should totally redesign the product

This product is just that the bottom line. I cannot get over how much I get frustrated over this product. I want something that cuts clean and doesn't leave a mess to deal with. I am now thinking about Paying the extra money to purchase something from shimano.

regular wire cutters

[May 23, 2000]
Larry

OVERALL

I was pretty diappointed with the quality of the cut from
a new Park cable cutting tool that I recently purchased.
I expected maybe a somewhat better cut from a tool specifically designed for cutting cable. First Park
tool that I regretted purchasing.

[Jan 11, 2001]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

It has the cable end crimper on the jaws. Does an ok job at cutting cable. I use another cutter for housing (Delta) and the Park tool for cables and cable ends.

For SIS and brake cable housing the cuts are not clean. I've had to make several passes with SIS housing.

The Shimano cutter may be the best bet overall since it does a nice job with cutting housing and crimps cable ends. Its hard to pay $35 - $50 for a Shimano cutter. Park usually delivers a better product.

Delta cutter

[May 06, 2000]
Ed

OVERALL
Strength:

Infinitely better than wire cutters, etc.

Kind of expensive, but dirt cheap compare to Shimano version.

In the process of building my bike, I borrowed a friends to do all the cable work. My god, it's like heroin, once you try it you'll never be able to go back. Get some.

wire cutters

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.