Topeak QR Beam Rack Rack

Designed for the tough world of mountain biking. The MTX is great for mountain bike touring with a full-suspension rig. It features a new universal deck design for mounting any one of our QuickTrack Trunk Bags.

[Jun 08, 2020]
Shyabang

OVERALL
Strength:

After 1 month with. 4kg pakage. Q/r bolt and hinge pin broke

Qr bolt m5. Hinge pin m3. Weak. Aware broke just 4kg!

Purchased:
New
[Mar 30, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and simple to use, well priced, does exactly what is needed of it.

At first the rack would sway a little, but really cranking the bolt with the provided shims soon fixed that. Similarly the quick release would rub my inside thigh, again simply setting the quick release lever to th3 2 o' clock position remedied that problem. I use the bar with the matching bag (with zip out side bags) and commute over 250km a week with about 10kg of load, it is excellent and at the price a real bargain. Before I bought this I was using a great tatonka X-vent backpack, but having the load off my back makes commuting so much more pleasurable.

[Jun 16, 2003]
Knut

OVERALL
Strength:

kind of lightweight for such a thing, stiff(but only in itself)

rotates on the seatpost, allows only 12kg(though enough for short trips), ruins the suspension bearings

I used the thing for two 2-3day trips. First time I had only my sleeping bag on it, 2kg weight are ok with the thing, slight roations though. Second trip: 12kg(sb, tent,sidebags). Held the weight quite well, but it got loose every hour( plastic distance plates around the seatpost were shrinking)and it rotates while riding corners, standing up, leaning the bike on a wall... .
the trip also included root tracks and that was the end for my bearings, kind of. 12kg roating on your seatpost have a real bad effect on your riding and your frame.

30 NZ$ dollar taiwan rack...but on a hardtail.

[Jun 25, 2007]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

It works! I got it on closeout with the bag that slides into it for $50 2 years ago. Does exactly what it's supposed to.

I use it on a cross bike. Read: short exposed seat post. So, it rides a little high on this bike. Not a problem on my compact frame mtn. bike. That high on the bike, and your center of gravity is a little wacky for a while, and the big-ass clamp rubs your legs until you get used to it... Lose the quick release.

Replace the quick release right away with a bolt and a washer, and crank it down.
1. It's going to slow someone down from taking it. Commuters can't use quick release anything unless you want to carry it everywhere.
2. My rack does not move a fraction of an inch under daily use, 8 miles a day, five days a week, packed to at least 20 pounds.

No more sweaty back from a backpack when I get to work! (If only my laptop fit in the thing!)

Blackburn frame-mounted

[Feb 08, 2006]
KEITH SPANGLER

OVERALL
Strength:

LOOKS GOOD / MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR TRUNK BAG IS SMARTLY DESIGNED FOR EASY ON AND OFF / LOOK STURDY

RACK DRIFTS OFF CENTER DURING RIDING / QUICK RELEASE SYSTEM DOESN'T ALLOW FOR SECURE MOUNTING OF THE RACK TO THE SEAT POST WITH SHIMS.

WOULD RECOMMEND IF I CAN GET THE DRIFTING TO STOP WITH RUBBER SHIMS - WE'LL SEE.

NONE

[Feb 27, 2002]
Roy Burnham

OVERALL
Strength:

The Topeak QR Beam rack offers a great deal of flexiblity to the commuter in terms of the ablity to put the rack on and off. If you are going for a longer ride without the need for ther extra weight, the rack comes off easliy. The rack is fairly light and easy to use. The integrated straps work well. Overall quality is good.

The quick release mechanism tends to not hold the seat post as firmly in the 27.2 size. The use of the provided shims is required and impedes the removal/installation of the rack, almost negating the QR function. The rach also has no place to tie painiers that decend. I fabricated a bracket so I could use painiers. Capicity for weight is also a little low.

This is a good rack for commuting. I wouldn't use it for cross-country bike tours but I don't think that is it's market. The quick release could use improvement but overall, it's a solid performer.

Blackburn bolt on rack

[Oct 09, 2003]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

nice looking design, light-weight, able to remove with little hassle, rubber bungee works great to hold down u-lock

swayed on seatpost, even with rubber shims supplied. a little bouncy over the curbs when weighted out.

My problem is that a conventional rack won't attach to my bike due to the cable disc brakes are in the way.

The best shim I've used is a sheet of rubber gasket material from the auto parts store. I'm anxious to get the quick release bag with the fold-out panniers (really nice!), but need to make sure the rack stays put so the pannier frames stay out of the spokes. I'll might consider getting the Topeak QR Basket.

Topeak would do well making a bolt-on version with a smaller post hole.

blackburn mtn rack

[Dec 19, 2001]
Mike Syria

OVERALL
Strength:

Q/R is ok & rack bag slides on & off
Thats way I Bought it.

This is The 2nd rack I have used the first one crack at Q/R
on bottom At weld bead. I return the first one And received
a new one And now it has crack in the same spot.
I only pack xtra pants & socks light coat, so i know I am
not packing more 20#

piece of crap I would like to return it but I do not have sale slip.

bell rack Cheap and never cracked

[Jan 24, 2004]
Gary White

OVERALL
Strength:

Very well made, good vfm, light, looks good, bungees and platform area just right, can use on my hardtail or full suspension bike. easy to fit

Not designed for Kona seat posts, which are 27.0mm. Using the shims supplied, it was impossible to get the mounting tight enough without over-stressing the bolts, hence to rack swings away from its centre position. I had to experiment with improvised shims (e.g. cut-offs from old inner tubes!)

(I have the non-QR version - two allen key bolts on a locking collar). A good idea but they need to sort out the locking collar and shim business - it's a struggle to set up on narrow seat posts.

[Feb 28, 2003]
DAVE

OVERALL
Strength:

LOOKS NICE

THIS RACK WILL NOT HOLD TO SEAT POST. KEEPS ROTATING

THIS RACK IS A NICE LOOKING PIECE OF JUNK. SAVE YOUR MONEY

BOUGHT A TREK RACK AND IT WORKS GREAT.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.