Specialized 04 Airtool Pro Floor Pump Pump

Pinnacle of floor pump design which incorporates our latest innovative features into a durable and reliable design

[Jul 17, 2017]
Jack Johnson

OVERALL
Strength:

large capacity, relief valve in handle, tripod base and easy to read gauge

head does not seal well, expensive

the head doesn't seal well on presta, the handle end caps always fall out and the head is too large for my TT wheel period

My Joe Blow floor pump has a nicer fitting head

[Nov 03, 2013]
Urban

OVERALL
Strength:

Long hose

Head

The head requires more exposed valve stem than any other pump I've ever used (30 years) and fits poorly on presta valves. An older standard presta valve in a standard-depth rim won't work. Not enough valve for the head to grab. I'm not a big fan of long-stem tubes in standard rims, so I have to use my old pump. Bad design. The universal (presta or schrader without switching) head is unnecessary and requires more fiddling than it's worth. On presta valves it tends to flop around and come loose. It doesn't easily let go of the valve when done. More fiddling is required to make sure not to bend a presta valve core or tear the tube back at the base of the valve stem.

Keep looking

[Aug 06, 2011]
Marv

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought this pump about a year ago to use on my road bike with Presta valves. The pump is very solid and the gauge easy to read. The head hooks up to the presta valve easily and does not leak. With the easy to read gauge it's possible to pump up the tire to an exact pressure by adjusting the pump handle height on the last stroke. Very happy with the pump for Presta valves. Have not tried the pump on Schrader valves.
of them
I have had several pumps before, although all cheaper than the Air Tool. I frequently had difficulty getting the head to seal tightly on the presta valve. Not so with the Air Tool.

I rated this down slightly only because I have not use the pump on scharder valves and thus cannot give it a perfect recommendation

I would buy this pump again pump.

[Dec 08, 2009]
AGG-Austin

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, sturdy, reliable.

Trim pressure release button in the middle of the handle, only a problem if you pump one handed on the center.

This is a very solid pump. I'll buy another one just like it if I ever need to replace it. The only time I have problems with leaks is if the valve stem is too short for the wheel and the tire is completely flat. Even then I can get the pressure started by just holding the chuck down and pressing against the tire to push the valve out. I don't see that as a problem specific to this pump. As far as the hose cracking, that is normal for any rubber material, especially if stored in the garage or close to ozone generating machines. A friend warned me about hose cracking where it bends as you clip it, so I vary where I clip it so it's not in the same place every time. I keep the pump indoors too. I have mostly used on presta valves but have used on schraeder a couple of times with no problems.

[May 31, 2008]
Shiloh Ballard

OVERALL
Strength:

Long hose. Sturdy. Solid base. And, at least I don't smash my knuckles into the cogs when I try to get he head off. Specialized got that part right.

Gauge doesn't work. Leaky pressure release valve. Switch hitter head doesn't go on easily, or rather, it's difficult to get it on correctly.

From the get-go this pump never worked well. The gauge reads incorrectly. The head is weird to get on correctly and the pressure release valve just hisses the entire time. Not happy with this pump at all, especially given the dollar amount.

[Jun 30, 2007]
Chewy

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, solid, good air flow, easy to read guage

Can be hard to lock onto tire with little air; lock mechanism seems backwards -- you pull up instead of push down, but that may just be my preference

I'd give this a 4 o5 5 up until the hose cracked at the spot where it was bending at the storage clamp, after 3-4 years. I taped it up and it got me up and running, but today, the hose broke off at the base; no way to tape that. I checked with the mfr a while back and got a rather dismissive, if not downright rude, response. Like, tough, you must be to blame for the cracks all up and down the faulty materials of the hose. Oh, the recommendation was to buy a new pump! That or I could try to get it fixed -- the replacement hose was something like $15, PLUS S/H! I won't buy another product from this company.

[Jan 11, 2006]
ATBScott

OVERALL
Strength:

Very efficient, seems to be built to last, long hose, bleed valve (useful more on my Mtn bike than the road bike), comfy handle, large gauge is easy to read.

Platform/foot rest design is a bit funky, but it may be more of a personal dislike more than anything - not a big deal but would prefer something that folded for stashing in the car for a trip or race.

This pump is probably the best pump I havee used. As a professional mechanic for many years, and doing race support for a while, I have used about everything at one point or another. Silca Track Pump at one point was the high point. This pump is as efficient in pumping as that old Silca, and easier to use with the dual-valve head and larger gauge. It is pricey, but it works very well. Specialized is usually pretty good about maintaining small-parts inventory, so if that is true for this pump it could last for 10+ years. If it doesn't, then the price may be it's only weakness, but that remains to be seen. Mr. Synyard, if you read this then I hope you'll support the rubber parts for this line of pumps. I'll give a "4" for value (great) but it's close to getting a fiver. Definitely "5" for use and function!
If you wrench on your (and/or others) bikes or have multiple vehicles, consider this pump an investment and get one.

Medai, Park, Blackburn, Silca Track pump many moons ago...

[Dec 21, 2005]
Jeremy Cottle

OVERALL
Strength:

Air Tool Pro is built like a tank. The pump head is easy to get on and off the valve stem. I bought this pump due to the annoyance of cutting my fingers on my bladed spokes each time I tried to use my older Park Professional Floor pump. (the pump head just won't let go!). The pressure guage also reads accurately from the moment you hook it up to your tire (You have to pump the Park up to equal your tire pressure before the guage fucntions!). Pressure release button on top of pump is a nice touch.

Maybe need to replace gasket eventually, like other reviewers mention. For now though, mine doesn't leak at all, even above 120psi. However, my Park Pro leaks at anything above 100, so it's no comparison. Kind of expensive, but if you only want to buy ONE pump, it's worth the price.

The Specialized Air Tool PRO (don't bother with the comp) is *the* pump to buy. If you ride in a group/on a team, this is the pump everyone else will want to borrow, even if they have their own, inferior pumps on hand. Remember to write your name on it!

Park Professional Floor Pump

[Aug 29, 2005]
darren brown

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability, huge gage, pressure relief valve, long hose, switch hitter head, thick alloy body - I'm not worried about denting this baby.

Hose routing could be placed further away from the main body a la Joe Blow Pro to prevent scratching and clanking when put away, steep price, short learning curve for switch hitter head - for presta, unscrew valve completely and push the pump head on firmly and flip the head closed

A good pump time will tell if it is a great pump. I think I have the 05 model though. Almost seventy bucks is a lot to shell out for a bike pump, but it is lasts 15 years and there are replacemeent parts, its well worth it. I gave it only four chilis because of the hose routing and the uncertain reliability.

Medai - was a great pump, but no longer made nor replacement are parts available.

[Nov 02, 2005]
joe therider

OVERALL
Strength:

sturdy construction, valve release on handle, long hose, delivers alot of air

switch hitter chuck leaks horribly, even after the rubber thing was replaced.

I hate this pump. There is nothing more frustrating than hearing the hiss of air as u attempt to pump yer tires. I have tried pushing the chuck onto the valve stem (all the way to the rim) and the damn thing still leaks, the rubber squash gasket thing was replaced but it didnt reduce the excessive crappieness of this pump. Im gonna try to replace the chuck from a different pump. everything else seems to be designed ok,which seems a little more insulting somehow

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.