Silca Super Pista Floor Pump

Best Price At
Best Price At

The Silca Super Pista was introduced as a higher volume alternative to the venerable Pista that we've all had since back in the day. When we tried to fill our mountain bike tires, we realized the small volume/high pressure Pista, while perfect for road tires, meant way too much exertion to fill a knobby tire. The Super Pista has all the virtues of the Pista, but with a larger air chamber, which means 20% more stroke volume and faster pumping. The 8" Beechwood handle was a vast improvement over the tiny plastic handle on the Pista (though the newest version of the Pista also has a wooden handle). There's plenty of room for man hands, and the Super Pista is taller as well to make life easy on your back when you need to top off a few sets of wheels at once. Silca pumps are so well-loved because they seem to last forever, and when something wears out after your first decade of usage, you can replace it for a few dollars and get loads more use out of it. That's what we've always done -- a replacement leather cup here and a fresh rubber washer there. The Silca Super Pista has a large base for greater stability. The gauge is mounted down low, out of harms way should the pump get knocked over. And you know it will get knocked over. That's no big deal because the pump housing is made of steel. The two-part head can be used for either Presta or Schrader valves. It comes in Black only.

[Sep 10, 2010]
Chia

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use and fills up rather quickly. The Presta Chuck fits easily and if you dont push it all the way in the presta valve, it comes off rather easily. No air leaks. Use two thumbs to pry off the chuck if you accidently push the chuck all the way to Presta valve and becomes too tight. I have no problem seeing the gauge although it is located at the bottom. I love retro and this retro construction and look just works for me.
Since parts are replaceable, it is seaviceable.

None so far

One for keepers and hopefully many many years of faithful service.

[Aug 08, 2009]
FrankieJoe

OVERALL
Strength:

Silca brand, nice steel tube, wooden handle, rebuildable unit,replacement parts available, protected gauge

included Presta and Schrader chuck are worthless, gauge is kinda hard to read while using/standing, leather plunger bends out of shape if stored on its side.

My Silca had arrived with a damaged schrader chuck, which was fine. I had read reviews about brand new silca pumps that people were buying and about how retarded they thought the included chucks are. I had read the review from the guy on this page who replaced the chuck on his silca with a upgrade kit from topeak. The sales guy "rob" had kindly offered to replaced the entire pump from just this one issue. I could tell (from working customer service myself) that rob offers quality customer service on behalf of his company. I kept the pump anyway and ordered a twinhead upgrade kit from topeak. When it finally arrived I cut the silca hose in half and attached the twinhead. The upgrade kit is quite simple to install. So, now I had Sweet looking Silca pump with a 4 foot hose. I tried on my bike and it inflated the tire but, the handle on pump slowly would rise up to its extended position when I let go of the handle. The valve on the pump was letting air come back through! I let the air leak through the pump and figured I was losing about 1 PSI a minute,not a big deal really but, I resolved to fix this problem. I downloaded the users manual: http://www.silcapompe.it/instruction-silca/AWVM0155.pdf
and found out that I needed to disasemble the value body. Inside the valve body is a spring loaded pin that has a cone shaped end (AKA the non return valve). That cone shape end has a rubber o-ring on it. Once disasembled, I found some metal shavings inside the valve body and some stuck on the o-ring of this cone shaped pin. These shavings were getting in the way of the non return valve being properly seated and thus letting the air return to pump tube instead of keeping the PSI in my tire. Just a simple cleaning to flush out the shavings and then I could reasemble the valve. I used some PTFE tape on the closure cap to make sure it was airtight and put the whole pump back together. This pump now works perfectly! I can also tell that, dispite the intial fustration. This really is a quality pump that will last for many years, I may even pass it on when I'm too old to ride. I have 2 others pumps but, I now just use this one, its my fav.... Those who don't mind or, enjoy working on their own bike, also won't mind a little work to maintain this pump might like it too. But, if your used to paying someone else to work on your bike for you, don't bother.

Hurricane pro team

[May 19, 2009]
patersg

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality. Not made in China

Chuck

Decent pump, but not quite the same quality as the Silca I bought 18 years ago. Still better than average. Bought this because I couldn't find any other that reached the 140 psi needed for my roadbike.
Chuck takes getting used to, mainly with removal, can be a real b***h to pull off. Once in a while it leaks a bit, requiring a couple seconds of repositioning. Otherwise, I have no issues, so I'm satisfied. Haven't tried it on schraeder valves.

Zefal

[Dec 02, 2008]
Econoline

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality construction
Reaches high pressures quickly

I have both the Super Pista and Pista pumps, and much prefer the Super. It does require somewhat more force to achieve higher pressures than the regular Pista because you are moving more air per stroke, but the big wooden handle makes it pretty easy. I would recommend replacing the OEM Silca chuck with a Presta only Silca chuck, and shot a little silicon spray into the chuck if it binds on the tube stem.

This is a great pump, simple to maintain, and will last forever as spare parts are readily available.

Silca Pista, Medai Super

[Aug 27, 2007]
FREDERICK

OVERALL
Strength:

Silca name, extreme pumping effeciency, very comfortable wood handle, also own the Pista.

None so far.

I cannot believe the complaints some people have logged about such a great pump. A suggestion is to squirt a small amount of silicone into the chuck and some of the valve stem, then simply SCREW the chuck on and screw it off, very simple and i never tear a tube. The super pista has amazing pumping effeciency and the wooden handle is very comfortable and looks great, no my pump does not leak air anywhere and the chuck does not blow off, etc. It's a great pump, i feel it's not being used properly, no, i do not work for silca, yes the gauge would be better positioned higher but i will live with it.

Basic Pista + another pump that i traded in/unloaded because of it being nearly impossible to remove chuck without tearing tube so i bought the basic Pista.

[Aug 05, 2007]
R

OVERALL

If, like me, you already own one of these darn pumps and aren't happy, do yourself a favor and buy the Topeak Smarthead kit from Performance Bicycle for about $15. Use the little hoseclamp to fit the Topeak hose assembly on the Silca pump. It will at least make it something more than a tall doorstop.

[Jul 15, 2007]
R

OVERALL
Strength:

None...oh, I suppose it'll make me more likely to check a website such as this before I buy something.

The chuck is designed by an idiot. However, it will work well for anybody born with three arms....two to pump and one to hold the chuck on the valve stem to prevent leaking. What a waste of money.

Do not waste your money on this product. Please, just by a Specialized or Joe Blow. I only wish I would have read a review or two instead of believing the Nashbar hype. No wonder it was on sale. I would give it a zero rating if that was listed.

Joe Blow, which is still working fine two years later.

[Jun 18, 2007]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Fancy name, fancy looking

The chuck, the wooden handle, the guage

We thought we'd try this pump because it would accommodate both mountain bike tire pressures and high pressure required for road tires.

It seemed like a quality product when it first arrived. We soon found out it was junk. The chuck wouldn't seat on the valve, so it leaked and leaked. The higher the pressure, the faster the leak. It was so bad we couldn't even get 40psi in a mountain tire.

Because there is no washer or stop on the handle, it's incredibly noisy to use. And uncomfortable.

The guage is way, way low and the numbers are really, really small and there is no arrow on the guage rim to point out the proper inflation point, so unless you have microscopic vision, you'll need a second person to tell you when you've reached the proper pressure (because if you stop to look, you'll lose any pressure you might have had because of the stupid, leaky chuck).

In a nutshell, I cannot imagine a worse designed product. I can't imagine how the manufacturer actually offered it up for sale without laughing his or her butt off.

We are returning it. If they will not accept the return (and we don't know why they wouldn't), we will salvage the pretty wood handle for some other purpose, cannibalize any other parts we can and call it a lesson in not checking reviews before purchasing.

Lots

[Jun 10, 2007]
Mike B.

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall construction is better than the average $20 pump. Parts can be replaced.

The presta adapter is comical. It's not threaded, it's merely a big rubber washer in a huge brass can. The shrader valve connector works fine until it's under pressure. At high pressures (120 psi) it's very hard to remove. Pumping efficiency overall is fair to poor.

The new generation of Silca Super Pista isn't the one you may have heard about that's been "working great for 20 years." It's overpriced and the connections to the valve stem are poorly designed.

Wrench Force, Serfas.

[Apr 26, 2007]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity, Built to old world standards,Brass & Steel forget the plastic junk on the market. How about the fact they been in business for 80 years and owned and ran by the same family.

Have had some problems with the chuck but just replaced with the new 40.0 lock on chuck works on both my short stem MTB & my Road Bikes

Just get one you'll have it for years

Other junk such as topeak & blackburn

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.