Park Tool PFP-3 Home Mechanic Pump

The PFP-3 is a high performance, feature-packed pump at a great price. Perfect for the home mechanic.

[Jun 15, 2010]
AD4E

OVERALL
Strength:

see my review under the other PFP-3 heading--same pump.
this is an excellent floor-pump for the money. don't know what others are complaining about.

far as i'm concerned, this is must be one of the best values in floor pumps going. u can take it apart & lube the cylinder seal; & the gauge is nice quaility too.

silca

[May 05, 2010]
rockymountainrider69

OVERALL
Strength:

Low-ish price and brand name were initial attractions, but ...

With light use one season, the chuck broke. $10 part to fix. Second season, plastic threaded male fitting at base cracked. Now unusable. Not sure if can be fixed, doesn't matter, threw it in garbage. Also, when it did work, it is difficult to get the chuck off a presta valve.

Puzzling... Park Tools generally has a reputation for quality. I don't understand why they put their name on this pump.

Bought a Lezyne steel drive floor pump ($50) to replace the Park pump. Since it's new I can't address its long term durability, but the quality of the construction sure looks good and I like the fact that it has metal fittings.

[Jul 05, 2009]
fred

OVERALL
Strength:

none...

annoying all around. I bought this pump to inflate my presta valve tubes. This pump refuses to let go of the valve once the tire is inflated. the ONLY way to get the pump free is to twist it, which bends or breaks the valve 9 out of 10 times. I've gone through mroe tubes for broken or bent valves than for flats. Given that I ride on some pretty aweful streets in the Boston area that is really saying something. Specialized and countless others make a much better, more reliable product. at least for presta valves...

dont get this pump if you have presta valves...

[Oct 12, 2008]
minimalist

OVERALL
Strength:

Readable gauge, good seal on schrader at least

tips over easily

Has been good to me so far. I don't pump over 80psi, though. I usually store it in the already-tipped-over position, because it will wind up that way anyway.

$10 crap from K-mart

[Sep 21, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Attractive, well-built pump for a good price. Good pump until it failed.

It's a $30 pump. Tips easily (like many pumps in this price range). Uses a segment 8 mm pneumatic tubing instead of more common 10 mm in crucial spot.

After two years of careful use, a section of pneumatic tubing in burst. No biggie, right? Bike shops carry loads of the stuff.

Unfortunately, while most pumps use 10 mm tubing (including a majority of this one, actually), the small section of connector tubing that burst is 8 mm.

My LBS had plenty of 10 mm lying around, but no 8 mm. So we looked up its part number the Park Tool web site and attempted to ordered it from the company (the company is headquartered about 5 miles from here in St. Paul.) My LBS considered this a bit of a long shot, as the part was cheap, somewhat incidental, and didn't show up on their list of orderable parts.

I checked up with my LBS a few times over the next month, and the part never arrived. I'm now calling hardware stores and pneumatic-hose distributors trying to find this 10-cent headache.

I should mention also that the gauge was damaged (broke plexiglass window) after one of many tipping episodes. The unit has an unstable base and falls easily when left unattended.

I really like Park Tool and its DYI ethic, but my experience with this pump is disappointing, not because the pump didn't work (it did), or that hose blew after two years (it happens), but because I, apparently, can't purchase a cheap replacement part that would restore the pump's function.

Why should I throw away a perfectly good pump because the company can't provide a 4-inch length of hose? I shouldn't. But in an era when it seems every consumer product is manufactured under "if it breaks, just buy another" philosophy, I seek companies that build products that are servicable and built to last.

By that measure, this isn't a Park Tool brand pump, it's just a pump like any other.

Specialized Air Tool Pro, numerous mini pumps.

[Sep 10, 2008]
Vassili
Downhiller

OVERALL

the PSI reader broke after 2 years of heavy use.

[Sep 12, 2007]
Brendan

OVERALL
Strength:

It has a gauge and pumps air.

It is difficult to seat the valve stem. After a short time the gauge quits reading accuratly. After a slightly longer short time the seals in the pump wear out and it inflates tubes very slowly.

We have two of these in our shop and neither work properly. I wouldn't buy one.

PFP-2

[Jan 24, 2007]
Christopher Koch

OVERALL
Strength:

Stable base
Readable gauge

Cheap and poorly made

It's so flimsy and insubstantial that you're just waiting for it to break as soon as you pull it out of the box for the first time. I think I filled my tires three times before the valve seal blew out for good. Air just whistles through the head now. Yup, you really do get what you pay for. It may cost less, but you will invest more time and aggravation in the end. Please look elsewhere.

Blackburn

[Oct 20, 2005]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

Pumps well (often to 115psi), good gauge, duelhead.
FANTASTIC customer service.

Product valve after a good amount of time did fail. Could use a wider base.

Product did have a problem, emailed customer service got a response THAT day. Got a resolution sent to me with out hassle without a fuss. Would purchase park again perhaps next time a higher end pump.

Giving it 5 + 5 due very inexpensive pump + great customers service I recieved.

Department store purchased pumps. Morph pumps Topek (good) and German made Sigma Sport (poor)

[Sep 21, 2006]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

The pump works well. It is easy to use and pumps up my road tires quite easily. The gauge (although mounted somewhat low) is fairly easy to read.

It doesn't stand by itself real well. The head is the same as the Nashbar pump that I owned previously (which had given me problems) but it works better.

It is a good pump that gets the job done. It is reliable and works like a charm.

Nashbar

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.