Manitou Air Pump Pump

Available At

-Compact design with 360-degree hose and ergonomic handle -For forks and shocks utilizing a high-pressure adjustable air spring -Alloy and molded composite construction with built-in no-leak Schrader fitting

[Oct 06, 2008]
Eclectus

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use. Very little air loss when disconnectin

Gauge inaccurate on mine. Fox's clone pump I got is accurate.

I purchased this for a RockShox Tora fork. The following month I got a Fox fork which included nearly the same model pump--the two are supplied to Fox and Manitou by an outside manufacturer. (A slight handle difference allows the Manitou to be 1 inch shorter when carrying, and Manitou has black body, handle and dial face, while Fox is Silver and with white dial face.)

After filling the Fox fork to 70 pounds using the Fox pump last week, I checked the pressure today, but grabbed the Manitou pump without thinking about it. It read 50 PSI. That worried me about a faulty fork seal (one ride). Switching to the Fox pump, I got 65. Hmmm.

I had several tire gauges but they wouldn't fit on the recessed fork valve, so I checked the gauges using a Specialized Air Pro to inflate a tire to 60 PSI. Manitou showed 40, Fox showed 62, a professional car-truck large-dial gauge read just under 60. A Topeak SmartAir digital gauge read 59.5.

So the Fox's pump gauge read only 2-3 PSI higher than 3 independent gauges, while the Manitou underread by 19-20 psi.

Testing the two pumps at higher pressures on the fork the Manitou read 130 when the Fox read 150, so the differential seems to stable over wide-ranging pressures.

Take-home lesson: check the gauge when you get it (best to try it in the store if not ordering online), using other reference instruments. You can use it, of course, even if it's off by 20 pounds since you basically set fork pressures to your ride feel preferences. Or you can return it for a more accurate gauge.

I give it 2 chilis because I think the basic pump mechanics are fine, so far, but the gauge is an important part of a shock pump, and since the Fox version I got is accurate, I think the Manitou clone should be as well. (I have no idea if Fox techs check their pump dial readings and cull defects, or if the product quality control is identical and I was just luckier with the Fox.)

[May 15, 2003]
MK Ultra

OVERALL
Strength:

It works like it should, and is not too expensive.

Should be included with air shocks..

I bought this pump to replace the Topeak one I had gotten from the bike shop which I could not figure out how to keep air in the shock with. I should have gotten the Manitou pump to start with, it works great. No loss of pressure when removing the fitting, easy to read gague, good solid feel.

Topeak Shock Master Blaster

[Jan 02, 2008]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

worked great

valve air tube cracked and leaked, where it clipped to the pump handle during storage.

Don't clip the tube to the pump handle clip, and it should last a lot longer than the 1.5 years mine lasted.

fox shock pump

[Jun 15, 2002]
Keefer Ward

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and it works

Numbers are in red should be in white for easy reads

Works fine, used it 10 times on the fox shock. For 20 bucks it's a good deal.

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.