Crank Brothers Power Pump Ultra Pump

Available At

-Dual piston high volume/pressure alloy pump -Air Switch changes pump to high or low volume -Twin head fits both Presta and Schrader valves

[Sep 21, 2010]
burcak

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, Light, Good performance wrt size, ease of use

None yet

I first hesitated to buy this pump by the reviews here, but after I saw it in the shop, I was convinced it is not just a downscaled version of a regular hand pump. It has a genuine design, with respectible innovation! And after I tried it I found out that it was working in practice too. It's a breeze to seal any of my valves (I have to mention I only use Presta, cannot say anything for Schrader) The keypoint is to press the head of the pump firmly and engage it COMPLETELY onto the valve BEFORE locking the head. (Otherwise you get slight leaks) Getting to high pressures may be a problem, but so it is with any other hand pump..

I did not read or watch any instructions and was able to inflate to 20 psi in half a minute or so in my first attempt on my mtb (with a bruised rib!). After that I had to switch to high pressure mode and went up to 30psi before my rib started aching. And I am a really small person!

I cannot see how this can be the same product that is mentioned in the negative reviews?! It is really brilliant!

And how does someone justify writing a review for a product that is "found on the trail" :D ?!?

I think this pump rightfully deserves 5 chilis!

[Sep 14, 2009]
Santacruzer

OVERALL
Strength:

compact size

Simply will not seal for the entire fill. Internal seal leaks back into the plastic chamber. After letting me down for the third time this POS is in the trash.

Do not throw your money away on this pump, you can just about match the performance of this pump with your mouth!

[Jul 16, 2009]
mtbiker13

OVERALL
Strength:

Small,light and compact

This pump is great. I've never had a problem with it. I think people don't know how to use. I can get my tire pumped up on the trail in less than 5 minutes.

lots

[Apr 23, 2009]
bob erickson

OVERALL
Strength:

Construction, small size, both valve types on the head and a a switch to change from high volume to high pressure.

I agree with the reviewers questioning those that have dissed this pump. What do they want, the pump to attach itself and pump up the tire? It is clear to me that if you are having problems, it is most likely operator error.
I have pumped up both mountain and road bike tires and find this pump to work better than any other compact tire pump that I have owned.
The KEY is to lay the bike/wheel down with the valve stem closest to the surface that you are pumping on. Set the pump to the setting you want before attaching it to the valve stem.
Then put something, wood, rag, whatever between the head of the pump and the surface you are pumping on. You will still need to hold the head on the valve but at least you do not have to counter the pump stroke.
Frankly, I am amazed how quickly the tires pumped up. I did put 100+ pounds in the road bike tire in less time than I have ever with any small pump. This will definitely get you back to your lbs or garage pump to top it off.
I'm dumbfounded by some of these negative reviews.

Bell, Topeak

[Nov 26, 2008]
Marquism1

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, light, and cheap. Also works well if you follow the instructions.

It doesn't pump up the tire all by itself?

I currently use this version and the plastic, non-ultra version. These pumps work fine if you take the 30 seconds or so required to understand how they work. I've done many trailside repairs with the pumps with no problems at all. The negative reviewers below almost certainly did not know how to use the pump. The hi-volume setting easily pumps up a mountain bike tire without too much effort. They are ultraportable and fit into the smallest of seat bags, which is key for me. They're about the size of a CO2 inflator, but they can actually be used multiple times without any waste. For portable emergency repair use, these pumps can't be beat for the price.

Many other frame pumps and CO2 inflators

[May 19, 2008]
Jeremy

OVERALL
Strength:

Small-ish, seems very well made, easy to use, fits both types of valves, durable, light weight.

No mounting bracket.

Good little pump for the price (if you can find a deal on it). Small enough where you don't NEED a mounting bracket, but it is just barely small enough to fit in my seat bag. Unlike some of the other reviewers I have had no problem filling my tires with it. Plenty of air volume for a hand pump when setup for high volume as opposed to high pressure.

[Aug 16, 2007]
Cameron

OVERALL
Strength:

Small and light, Easy to use, seems well built

Tough to get a seal on Presta Valves

I used this pump with ease to fix two flats on my road bike, ran over two pieces of glass on two consecutive road rides! I had to fight a little to get a good seal on the presta valve, but, once I did, it was very easy to pump up, I used the High Volume setting for most of the pumping and then switched to High Pressure to finish it off, and, I was able to pump up the tubes quickly and with not too much effort, so, I am happy with it! My Blackburn pump I've had for over 5 years gave up on me finally, I still have a great Topeak one, but, that stays with my mountain bike. Not sure why this pump gets such crappy reviews in its different variations. It is a good pump for as cheap as it is!!

Blackburn, Topeak

[Aug 06, 2007]
Marty

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, compact

Pump will not seal on any valve. There is no way you can get a road or mtb tube to any where near capacity. I pumped my tire up three times, and the pump leaked all the air out as I reached a rideable volume every time. This is total junk.

Small carryable pumps are for emergency use only. This one won't get you out of emergency. You'll be walking. Get a better pump, or a cell phone.

Topeak

[Mar 24, 2007]
Dan0

OVERALL
Strength:

small

too sloooooooow

total waste of money, this pump has too little air no matter the setting, takes about half an hour to get your tire to 20lbs. threw mine away

einstein, mtn. morph

[Dec 17, 2007]
Antonio

OVERALL
Strength:

Size

Difficulty to pump a tire

Don't pump well

Blacburn

• Available At

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.