Bontrager TLR Flash Charger Pump

The pump is high quality and although the effort did increase with the pressure, the pump felt secure and consistent all the way to 160 psi. The handle is plastic so we could feel a bit of flex when pumping at the highest pressures.

[Jul 28, 2015]
ezweave

OVERALL
Strength:

Seats tubeless without fiddling with a compressor... and actually works better than a compressor. Portable.

The dial is small and low-res for MTB applications. When pumping up a tire, you're also filling the charging chamber, so when you take the head off, it lets out all that air. Compared to my Specialized Air Tool MTB pump, it feels kind of cheap. The charging lever and chamber feel fine, but everything else is a bit lacking in refinement.

I have three problems with using my air compressor: first off, it is loud as hell when it's filling the tank and I live in an urban apartment... even with thick walls it still feels obnoxious. Secondly, my 8 gallon tank will only go to 80 PSI which isn't always enough to seat a tire in one go. Thirdly, it isn't really portable (you can use a power inverter to run it off a 9V car outlet, but...).

This pump solves that.

I can seat almost any tire in one charge (though, despite Trek's advice, you do need to put it in the red), two in the worst case. I use it on my cross and mountain bike and it's fine for that. Great, even.

However, the pump itself, when functioning solely as a pump, is a bit undercooked. The handle feels flimsy, the stroke isn't super smooth, and the dial looks kind of cheap. The thing with the chamber letting out air after regular use is bizarre too. I needed a solution for my "don't want to piss off everyone" loud compressor problem and this actually works better than my compressor did for the task of seating tires. I would wager that version 2 will be much better.

Lezyne Alloy Drive, three Topeak Joe Blows, two Specialized pumps (that I still use), Silca, etc.

[Nov 15, 2014]
RockyRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of volume per pump. Does what it says it will

If using it as a standard pump you also pump up the air charge chamber- you can't bypass the chamber for normal pump operation.
Price

I've had this for a month or two now and it's great because finally I don't have to walk out to the garage and fire up the compressor to seat the bead on a tubeless tire. So far its seated every tire on the first try. I'm not running tubeless on my fat tire bike so I don't know if it would handle that or not. Besides the high price my only real complaint is that if you want to use it as just a floor pump you are not only filling your tire but the charging chamber on the pump as well. So when you are finished filling a tire you want to make sure you flip the lever back over and trap the pressure in the chamber to use on the next tire. There is also this weird tendency for the pump to spring back on you at higher pressures if you don't give it a firm, deliberate push. The smart head on it works well although I'm not sure how long it will last when compared to a dual head offering like Topeak and some other brands use.

On the plus side this thing puts out a ton of volume per pump stroke. Even starting with an empty chamber it fills my fatbike tires (26x4.8 Bud or Lou) to 20 psi in about 40 strokes so I can seat the bead properly. This would take a road tire to max pressure in no time.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.