White Lightning Epic Lube Lube

Epic is a durable lubricant that provides super smooth and noticeably quieter shifting. Like Original White Lightning, Epic is a non-oil lubricant.

[Sep 08, 2015]
Newsboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Chain Stays Clean & Quiet

Have not tried in wet weather, so can't say how it performs in the wet.

I've been using Pedros Ice Wax for many years, and have been very satisfied. Lately, I've noticed that my chain and derraileur pully wheels have been attracting a gummy buildup, so I tried White Lightning Epic Ride. Have been very satisfied. I apply one drop to each link on my Mountain and Road bikes. Drivetrain operates smoothly with no noise. Chain seems to stay very clean.I clean drivetrain after about every 3rd ride(appox 50 miles) and re apply the lube.

Pedros Ice Wax, Pro link Gold

[Nov 01, 2008]
Csaba

OVERALL
Strength:

maybe rust prevention

attracts dirt and sand like motor oil

I am new to road cycling. I used the regular wax based white lightning for mountain biking (which I really liked), so I though this would be fine for road cycling, but an amazing amount of sand is getting on my chain. My chain is worn out after only 800 kms. If you ride in dusty or sandy environment, this will not work for you. It might work in very humid and rainy places.

regular white lightning, motor oil

[May 07, 2008]
Finch Platte

OVERALL
Strength:

Chain runs clean, cleans chain (& other stuff) w/out gunking up. Does NOT attract dirt, IMO. You can apply it just before the big ride, and wipe it off or not. I've applied the lube to other riders' chain when they don't have any, and it won't gunk up their chains- it seems to work just fine. I also use it on my fork stanchions, because it doesn't attract dirt.

End of the ride, wipe off the dust on your chain (compare to other rider's chains & see whose is cleaner, and whose cleans up easier. Yours, right?

Not a wet weather lube. But if you do use it in the wet, you can apply it during the ride & it will work just fine. It's a pretty thin lube.

Wow. I really thought I'd see more positive reviews for WL's Epic lube. I've been using it for years, and am extremely happy w/ the performance.

Dropped the value rating because as one reviewer says, "why is lube so expensive??" It's usually around $8 a bottle, so I wait for it to go on sale. A bottle should last a couple of months, unless you ride every day.

T-9, Pedro's, other WL waxy lubes, etc.

[Sep 03, 2007]
Richard Doogan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very smooth even if you crank down the gears whilst pushing up a hill.
Lasts well in bad weather conditions.
Good price (6 of my English Pounds).
You can use it to clean the mech too (but that's probably an expensive way to do it).

Picks up dirt/dust very easily and then you have to fully clean it up before you ride again.

In clean conditions it lasts well and stays on in rain/snow. In summer on dusty trails it soon turns into a sticky mess. If it's not too dirty you can just re-apply without having to clean the bike up, useful when you're on an all-weekender.

If you ride on the road a lot, then you'll love it. If you ride loose dusty tracks, then you'll hate it.

Purple Extreme

[Apr 22, 2007]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Comes in a nice bottle

This stuff is a dirt magnet. Can't get 100Km on a road bike much less a day on my mtn. bike without the chain looking like a sasquatch's beard

Look elsewhere for your lube needs.

White Lightning dry lube

[Apr 07, 2007]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolutely none unless you like using what is left in the bottle to clean your chain with sticks so that you can make it home. My bike had the worse chain suck I have ever seen. It was like I was using a wide 7 speed chain on a narrow 9. That bad. I guess you could use it on your cables but they would probably start grinding like sand, then proceed to break on a huge downhill.

Mostly everything. I used it on 10+ bikes of every riding style because I though it was me, or my bike, etc. with the exact same results. Even on a road bike every piece of dirt on the road sticks to your chain. It wasn't me. I tried a new chain and solvent cleaned it. No luck. Used on a few buddies bikes and they were very angry at me for putting it on there expensive drivetrains after a few miles. White lightning's regular lube is great. This is horrible. I had to stop on the side of my favorite trail (road every weekend twice, 20 miles) and clean my chain every couple miles to make it home after I road through some mud and water about 3 inches deep. This stuff is scarrrryy... If I was going downhill at the time it would have been bad. This product was sucking my sproket so bad that I may have slipped the chain and wrecked. Seriously not good, I hit 30-40mph down some hills here.

Deserves no flammin chilli... I ride a lot as I work from home. The weather here in Cleveland changes a lot and I need a lube that works in all conditions. Getting to the trail, riding home, running errands, etc. This lube does none of this unless you like messing around with it every 2 miles and cleaning a natural f$%king disaster from your cogs and chain. Yes, it is that bad. I normally don't review anything but this lube is that bad and angers me so much because it has ruined my day of riding a few times that I am writting this. Go buy Rock n Roll and spend your time riding. I clean my chain 1 time a week with RnR and it is still almost clean after mud, dirt, dust and water.

Rock n' Roll (awesomely amazing I average 2mph better with this lube!!), Mobil 1 5w30(best for cables), Tetra gun lube($$$), Original White Lightning and many many others but those are my favorites in order...

[Aug 10, 2005]
Matt N..........

OVERALL
Strength:

more water resistant

collects way to much dirt. After doing a 3o mile even in trabuco canyon my drive traine was full of dirt because i replied it a couple because of mutilble stream crossings. AT the end i head terribel chain suck.

Buy regular wl this stuff attracts way to much dirt.

ice wax regualr wl

[Mar 04, 2005]
Brandon Kirk

OVERALL
Strength:

Lubes your chain

goes really fast

The stuff works like regular WL, except you have to use twice as much of it. It seems to bind with dirt particles more easily and 'shed' a bit more, but this also means you end up spending lots of money on lube. I guess all things considered, it's only a few cents more per ride, but it's still pretty annoying when you've gone through half a bottle in a month.

WL original, raceday

[Mar 14, 2005]
Gerald Badoz

Strength:

Attracts sand and dirt!!!! Wet lube.

I tried it out this weekend and by the time I rode one mile, I could hear the sand grinding away my chain. My drive train was caked black and nasty. I never experienced that with the regular White Lighting; which is GREAT!!!
The weakness of this product for my application is that its a wet lube and riding in sandy conditions just cakes the chain with sand. I thought the EPIC lube was the same formula as the regular White Lighting; dry lube.

White Lighting (regular stuff; dry lube wax based)

[May 06, 2007]
JP

OVERALL
Strength:

Seems to last a long time. Cleans chain better than Prolink.

Smells toxic - probably bad for the environment.

Works fine to me. I ride on dry-sandy trails, and it picks up dirt like any other 'clean' lube. But it lasts longer than the King of Lubes crap, and it seems to be smoother than Prolink. I've never really been satisfied by lubes that claim to keep your chain clean. This one is no different.

Why is lube so expensive?

Prolink, King of Lubes

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.