ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube

ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube is ProGold's finest chain lubricant. Using their proprietary MFR Technology, the Xtreme Lube gets into the tough bushing to plate interface on your chain and it will stay there. Perfect for gnarly offroad rides or those billion-m

[Apr 30, 2016]
thegallery

OVERALL
Strength:

Works in any condition
lasts a long time

hard to find in the UK

A few years back I pulled up to the 72 Mile Hilly Billy Rabaix unprepared. Bruce form ProGold dumped some Xtreme on the chain while the rain was coming down two minutues before the start. A few miles in were a bunch of mudpit bomb holes, and then later the sun started to bake. Normally in races like this I carry a small bottle of lube just in case. Xtreme lasted the entire race and now it's my goto lube. I'm not particularly good at keeping everything clean but Xtreme is just great for the city riding or extreme conditions, or any condition so it seems. The motivation to write this review is based on going for a ride in London today in the sun with a dry lube and it lasted just 17 miles before things started to squeak. They say you don't go any slower with a noisy chain but I definatley feel slower and I can't stand it.

Eventually I'll rig up a little system to lube on the fly for ultra endurance events. If you're ever desperate a squirt from the water bottle will be better than nothing.

COI I've gotten plenty of free Progold lube from all the races they've sponsored. Much appreciated.

[May 25, 2015]
yodal

OVERALL
Strength:

Not sure it has one.

Caked up badly.

I cleaned my chain, cassette and rings with Mineral spirits first then also with Simple green, spotless drive chain to begin. Then applied one drop per link then rolled crank backward with a rag around the chain to catch any extra. Did 15 miles and could hear the chain in about 4 miles. Got home put one more drop per link. I could still hear the chain but not bad enough to be concerned. Two days later while riding I could see build up on the idler pulleys and the chain was black with goo.

I don't like this stuff at all.

[Feb 09, 2015]
Harris W.

OVERALL
Strength:

Clean and long lasting lube with easy application nozzle.

Gets the chain a little more gunked up than pro link lube.

Used this lube for my MTB and all through cyclocross season and performed great. A highlight of the lube is the application bottle, by far. It's great to set at forget for a week or two at a time in mild conditions. A small con-is the chain will attract a tiny bit more grime but thats to be expected when leaving a lube on for longer. Great value especially considering how well it performs, how long it can be left on and still keep the chain quiet.

[Feb 09, 2015]
Robert L.

OVERALL
Strength:

Stops dirt/mud in its tracks and prevents rust.

the cap makes it difficult to get a good flow from the bottle.

You don't need a lot of lube for it to do its job, and it stays on the chain for a long time, so a bottle lasts a long time. I have used it for some of the muddiest races and and it holds up great!

[Feb 02, 2015]
Allison J.

OVERALL
Strength:

long-lasting, protects against rust, shields off mud surprisingly well.

n/a

I used the xtreme lube when things got muddy and wet at cyclocross Nationals in Austin, TX. Really impressed that it held up to the gnarly conditions. I will be trying this lube on my cross country and trail bike set up. Especially excited to have a lube that holds up in 6hr races and 8hr training rides.

[Nov 03, 2014]
Bryan Grygus

OVERALL
Strength:

Rust protection, low dirt collection, flows into the chain well, weatherproof.

Keep it away from disk brakes

I have tried alot of different lubricants aquired as race prizes and in swag bags, this one is by far the best. I have used to name a few. The dry ptfe lubes like tri-flow don't have good rust protection. The other wet and wax lubes attract too much dirt. This lube seeps in to the chain and stays there, protects and stays clean. I use it on my road, mountain and cross bikes. I am maintaining my chains less than ever and they still roll smooth and are rust free.

tri-flow, white lightning, finish line, wd-40 bike, rock-n-role lube

[Oct 20, 2014]
Sarah

OVERALL
Strength:

A fantastic lube for road and MTB chains. The less is more mantra is the key with this lube. If you use too much, it's a waste of product and time. The friction control with this lube is amazing - and it lasts!

You will regret if you use too much!

Absolutely my favorite lube! Works wonderfully for both road and MTB chains.

[Oct 16, 2014]
Andy Guptill

OVERALL
Strength:

Slickest chain lube out there. Long lasting.

Best chain lube on the market today. Apply a quick coat to your chain, wipe off the excess, and your rolling quietly and shifting better for days. Even in wet, muddy conditions, it keeps things spinning smoothly.

[Aug 04, 2014]
Justin Lindine

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a great long-lasting, all-conditions lube that for it's tenacity runs clean and quiet without ever thickening or collecting too much grime. You literally can get away with less lube, less often and still have a quiet and efficient drivetrain.

I've used a lot of lubes over the years, and it always seemed like there was no middle ground between thin lubes that ran clean and quiet but wore away quickly, and thick wax-like lubes that lasted forever but collected a ton of grime and grit and always felt rough. Then I tried ProGold Xtreme lube and honestly, I will never go back. This lube is relatively thin and yet manages to stay in place through all the conditions I can put it through on the mountain bike and cross courses. When I do ride in dry...but dusty conditions like I find in UT a lot now, I find that I can put this lube on once and aside from wiping the dust off the chain post ride, have the lube last for weeks. It's ability to penetrate is one of the things that makes it so great. You put it on heavy, sometimes even the night before a ride, and then wipe away the excess....that's all there is to it. From then on, enjoy clean quiet well-lubed efficiency.

When it is time to finally clean your drivetrain, using some basic degreaser (like my favorite, the ProGold degreaser and bike wash) is all you need. There isn't any film of waxy-crusty residue to have to chip off, and the chain comes out clean and ready for it's next application of lube. I find that not only does this lube work well in almost all conditions, it's durability actually lets you use less lube in the long run....more miles= more fun in my book.

ProGold Prolink

[Jul 24, 2014]
Evan

OVERALL
Strength:

Longevity is second to none. Cleans chain during application. Quick application.

Absolutely None.

A couple weeks ago I race my first 6 hour mountain bike race. Race Preparation was something I was taking serious and I put a lot of time into. Aside from nutrition, I was concerned with keeping my bike running properly during the entirety of the race.
So, I contacted Bruce of Pro Gold and he recommended a thin coat of Xtreme chain lube. To say I was hesitant on applying it sparingly is an understatement. However, it worked beyond all of my expectations.
I have always used Boeshield, but didn’t like how I needed to apply it the night before I wiped it off for the best results. With Xtreme I can apply it, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it clean. It also cleans the chain pretty well if you don’t have the time to properly clean it. Just make sure you get all the excess off.
I should mention, the race was quite dusty and when I finished the chain still had some shine to it and was silent. No grinding that you would normally get with any other all-conditions lube.
Xtreme is the best lube I have used for my mtb. Hands down.

Pedro's, Boeshield, Rock N Roll, Finish Line, some no name German stuff, basically everything.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.