Chain-L Lube Lube

Three most important requirements of a chain lubricant:

• Lubrication
  • Lubrication
  • and Lubrication

While properties like external cleanliness may seem important, the fact is that internal wear of the 112 overloaded, overworked and overlooked bearings is what destroys chains. A road cyclist, riding first-tier equipment, will typically wear a chain out in as little as 50* hours of use -- often destroying the cassette or chainrings in the process. On a high-end bike, drivetrain wear is the most expensive maintenance cost per mile.

That’s why, when developing Chain-L, we approached is as a bearing- wear problem and formulated it consistent with our theory of how chains wear and how best to combat it. We then road tested with racers, messengers, shop staff and others; refining it over the span of almost a year before we began selling to the public in the fall of 2007.

Rather than bore you with sales hype or smoke and mirrors, we prefer to follow the old adage that the “proof of the pudding is in the eating” and encourage you to give it a try and see for yourself if Chain-L is something you should be using.

• USER REVIEWS

[May 28, 2011]
    Shawnc

OVERALL
    Strength:

I have used this lube in sand, dust, mud, creek-crossing and it keeps going. Minimal re-lube required and it keeps the drive-train ultra quite and smooth.

The only potential weakness is the initial application process, but the extra 10 minutes is a small price to pay for a smooth, clean, long-lasting drivetrain

Simply the best lube for your bike. I was concerned that it would be messier than the dry lubes I had previously been using for summer conditions, but found the complete opposite to be the case. Since you only need to apply it very infrequently and wipe off the excess, there is very little lube on the outside of the chain to collect dirt. The majority of the lube stays IN the chain, doing what is suppose to do. I've found that my drive-chain stays noticably cleaner with significantly less effort than require with other lubes. Chain-L is simply the best chain-lube I've used. Invest the extra 10 minutes upfront to apply it according to the directions and you'll be rewarded mile after mile after mile. Not to mention, the price cannot be beat!

Dumonde Tech, White Lightning, Boeshield, Prolink, Finish Line, Pedros Syn Lube, Pedros Ice Lube, Philwood, etc....

[May 20, 2011]
    rollinn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works super well!!! Quiets the chain ALOT and the shifting improved tremendously.

Its a bit messy- but you know what, anything that works as well as this- I will accept some mess as it is a mtn bike anyhow..

This is a superb product!!! I have used prolink for years- and after trying Chain-L no way I could go back to anything else.. Its really that good. Not to mention the fols at Chain-L are so nice they make the experience very pleasing. Whoever switches to Chain-L will be beyond happy!!!

prolink, white lightning, finish line etc.

[May 11, 2011]
    dontheclysdale

OVERALL
    Strength:

Last a LONG time, works well even when the chain is filthy

I really like the Chain-L lube. It requires a little more work to lube the chain than normal but not enough to sway my decision to use it. It seems to last a LOT longer than Prolink and Finishline and the chain is a lot quieter. A quick wipe of the chain after a ride to remove the dirt and it's good to go no need to reapply lube every 100 or so miles. I did an SS race in very dry and dusty conditions and though me, the bike, and the chain were all white from the dust the chain was quiet and still pulled smooth as if it were still fresh lubed. The really noticeable thing I like is when riding on the road and cruising at 95-100 cadence, the sound of the chain is almost quiet but the sound you can hear is like a "well oiled machine" just smoothly operating. The even cooler part, after 400 miles it's still making this sound with no extra lube added. Previously I was lubing my road chain ever 100-150miles. A little added upfront maintenance time applying the lube makes up for time down the road by not having to lube the chain so often.

ProLink, FinishLine, White Lightning, WD-40 (kidding), RockNRoll

[May 03, 2011]
    mtber3737

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works! Quiets the chain & improves shifting.

Can be a little messy... but what the hell, we're mountain bikers... live with it!

I'll be 70 this year and I'm sceptical as hell. I've been riding mountain bikes before some of you were born. Bottom line: There's others out there and some work and some don't ... this stuff works!

You name it, I've tried about everything else on the market and a few that weren't.

[Apr 27, 2011]
    tiSS'er

OVERALL
    Strength:

quiet, long lasting, clean, smooths out your transmission

application

I ride 4-6 times per week in the very dry and dusty Phoenix desert. I am always looking for the next best thing, especially if it is going to extend the life of my bike.

After Francis offered the free sample here on MTB a few years back, I have been a believer in ChainL. My chain is much quieter than anything else I have used, my chain feels like it has some sort of "dampening" to it when I accelerate or shift. Rather than getting a clunking feel, the bike is smooth. My bike shifts much better for longer.

I recently tried a few brands of Bar and Chain oil and came away unimpressed. The lube worked great for one ride, but then my chain would get louder, and shifting performance would drop. I typically get 3-4 rides on ChainL, and could probably get more, but I tend to be on the safe side and overlube.

I have a great system for application. I remove the chain from the bike, wipe it down quick, put one drop on each link and wait about an hour. Wipe the chain down, throw it back on and pedal the bike. Wipe the chain down again and I am all set. By taking the chain off the bike, my pulleys, chainrings, and cassette stay exceptionally clean with no buildup. I think for many people this is a turn off, however, I simply find the application only takes a few minutes and I do it once for several rides.

I like the stuff so much, i just ordered 3 more bottles. At $12 it is a steal, and will last me for quite some time.

bar oil, RNR Extreme and Gold, Tri-Flow, Maima Chain Wax, Bel Ray Super Clean, T9 Boeshield, Dumonde, ATB

[Apr 05, 2011]
    freaky-styley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great lube in all conditions, very little dust accummulation, does not gunk up if appleid right. kept chain lubed through insane winter riding conditions-snow, ice, rain, salt, mud. I lube about once every 3 months!!

viscocity makes it a little hard to apply but I prefer lubing off the bike in a baggy. I place the lubed chain-in-bag on my radiator to bring the viscocity down a notch. helps to move the oil into all the surfaces. smells like motor oil. cant use this on cables and other components

This lube has made my life so much easier. I am a repeat customer now for over 2 years. Not only do my own drivetrains remain lubed and clean but my wife and kids' bikes do not require constant attention. I love it. The only problem is I am worried they will go out of business because I use so little lube that I cannot imagine they can stay in business!! A trial will cost you $4!!!

triflow, pedros, castrol, t-9, finish line (used to be my favorite), ice wax.....

[Mar 30, 2011]
    ProjectDan35

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quiet, well lubed drive train.

Smell, application process is like disecting an animal. Process of applying is not worth it at all. Attracts dirt like a magnet, makes a black thick mess all over your gears.

Not worth the hassle, although it will last a long time.

Pro Link, Finish Line.

[Mar 12, 2011]
    bikestuffreviews

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well it lubes great

Everything else !!!
    Read all about it in my comprehensive review here:

The smell the thinness the mess - it's just not worth it.
    Read about it here:

[Feb 25, 2011]
    Paul Zuba

OVERALL
    Strength:

Sticky and penetrating

Best and quietest shifting lube ever. Goes on smooth but super sticky. Cool glow in the dark yellow. Really penetrates chain links. All noise disappears once thoroughly spread on gears. Noticeable improvement on shifting. This is the last lube I will ever use. I can't say how long it will last because I just applied it but it's so sticky I can't imagine it being anything but what everyone else said and that means I will hardly ever have to re-lube.

Finish Line Wet and Dry Teflon

[Jan 18, 2011]
    david_asulin

OVERALL
    Strength:

1. Easy to apply - hell no!
    2. Lubricate well - oh yeah!
    3. Keeps my chain and drive components clean - no, it attracts dirt and very hard to remove if you want to go back to your old lube.
    4. Stays on for long time - yes. 5-10 rides easily.
    5. Water resistant - yes.

read my full review on:

Smells bad, hard to apply

Will I use it - NO. As much as I love it's performance I can't stand the application process, the smell and thickness. In cold weather you need to warm it up under hot water to put it on.
    Maybe the other lubes don't provide that perfect results but they are way more convenient to use.
    The manufacturer advertises this product as Lubrication, Lubrication, Lubrication.
    True, but it doesn’t smell like Chanel N°5.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.