Chain-L Lube Lube

Three most important requirements of a chain lubricant:

• Lubrication
  • Lubrication
  • and Lubrication

While properties like external cleanliness may seem important, the fact is that internal wear of the 112 overloaded, overworked and overlooked bearings is what destroys chains. A road cyclist, riding first-tier equipment, will typically wear a chain out in as little as 50* hours of use -- often destroying the cassette or chainrings in the process. On a high-end bike, drivetrain wear is the most expensive maintenance cost per mile.

That’s why, when developing Chain-L, we approached is as a bearing- wear problem and formulated it consistent with our theory of how chains wear and how best to combat it. We then road tested with racers, messengers, shop staff and others; refining it over the span of almost a year before we began selling to the public in the fall of 2007.

Rather than bore you with sales hype or smoke and mirrors, we prefer to follow the old adage that the “proof of the pudding is in the eating” and encourage you to give it a try and see for yourself if Chain-L is something you should be using.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 31, 2014]
    Peter

OVERALL
    Strength:

Highly durable, silencer, pretty cheap, easy clean up.

None, really, unless you really over-do it...

I have used this since its introduction in 2008 was it or 07. This is by far the best bike chain lube I have ever used and I won't switch. I have used all the other stuff, some was ok, some not so much, but here is the scoop on this stuff: I ride my urban bike( 29r rigid) everywhere in town and I ride it in all wether , 5 days a week without exceptions. Chain l endures 3-5 rides in the pouring rain ('bout 50-60 milles for me), and it last more than a month in the summer. Its easy to apply(I don't do the put on and wipe off, just smear some on there and that's it) and unless you over do it, it does not build up. Its excellent in hot weather(hottest it got here was 102 last year) and extremely cold(12 this winter). I get consistent performance and I don't even use the entire bottle for the whole year! It totally keeps your rusty junk chain quiet and it surely protects the chain from wear. I'm not a hard rider but I got about 7000 miles out of my last 8sp xt drive on the 29r, and that used only chain-l. Now that's some good stuff! I also use it on my MTB and on my DeRosa's Campy Record 10sp. We also use it on our fleet bikes at Bike And Roll and It does a perfect job! I highly recommend it, just be moderate with its application! It really does not take much and applying it and wiping it off is just a waste...

Shimano Slippery spit(remember that?), All Finish Line products(all decent except the ceramic crap), Rock and Roll(junk), T9(junk), Triflow(ok), Trflow Organic(total Crap!) And a bunch of other come-and-go hipster junk...

[Sep 29, 2013]
    Aba Grizzly

OVERALL
    Strength:

Long-lasting all-in-one all-seasons all-terrain lube

I'm using it for dusty powdery trails. The only one that gives me peace of mind and silence for 60 kms of riding. None of any other commercial lube not even close.

[Aug 24, 2013]
    pelts79

OVERALL
    Strength:

This is the best lube I have tried. It endures anything from fine dust to heavy water. Best stuff on the market in my opinion and I have used quite a few of them. This stuff makes your drive train run as smooth as butter. I'm not concerned about how shinny and clean my drive train looks, I'm more concerned how well lubed it is.

Can build up some gunk if over applied, but it's a drive train, it's not meant to look pretty.

Been using this stuff for a couple of years with great results form desert to wet riding conditions.

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Johan Greeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooooooth, quiet, does not wash off - ever. If you are not getting exactly that result, you have two left hands and lack opposing thumbs. Just follow the instructions.

The bottle. Does a dentist work on your fillings with a power drill? Then why use a bottle that spills way too much lube when you need SO LITTLE. Little lube is the key here.

I ditched the bottle. I use an old Joe's lube bottle. The nossle is so fine, the lube only comes out when I warm the lube up a bit - perfect, because it then creeps into the rollers. A tiny drop is enough! I lube/wipe down a section at a time - the outside of the chain stays dry! And the results are amazing. But the bottle sucks.
    I bought this lube out of desperation. Chains take a beating in winter. Between the snow/ice/water and the salt on the roads, nothing keeps a chain happy - untill now!

Don't get me started.... THE LIES!!!!

[Nov 10, 2012]
    alan

OVERALL
    Strength:

long lasting, quiets drive train, clean when used properly

spendy compared to a lot of other options

I love this stuff. I've been on a quest for nearly thirty years to find the best chain lube and since I've found this I haven't been looking much more. It really lasts and keeps the chain running quietly. I can go quite a while between applications. Harsh conditions require more frequent applications of course, but I might get 4-5 rides before needing to reapply - just hose things down and wipe the chain down, vs some lubes that don't even make it through the ride.

Cleanliness: My chain is as clean or cleaner than it has been with most other lubes. To have it be clean, you need do follow the proper application techniques. If you over do it and don't wipe the chain down well after application, as well as on a regular basis, it it will get dirty. This lube keeps the chain from getting as dirty as others though because it stays put inside the chain. Others keep working their way out of the chain.

Application: I've found the following to work quite well
    1) Use a chain catcher to keep the extra lube off of the cassette. Put the chain on the big ring so it is easier to clean the excess off after application.
    2) Wipe the chain down well. You may have to do more than this if it is really dirty.
    3) Apply just enough to each roller. Work on a few rollers at a time, starting at the derailleur. By the time the lubed section reaches the chainring it should have started to soak in.
    4) Once every roller is lubed, use a heat gun to warm the chain as you slowly rotate the cranks backwards. This will accelerate the wicking of the lube into the chain.
    5) Wipe the chain down well. Usually I do this with a dry rag, but I've also used a wax based lube (Like Rock n Roll) sprayed on a rag to wipe the chain down. Wipe the chainring down as well.
    6) Wipe the chain down often (every ride if conditions require it, but clean road rides don't require this as often). Like above, usually a dry rag is sufficient.
    7) Avoid reapplying when it isn't necessary. I like to tend to my bikes and am prone to overlubing, but I find that wiping things down is usually enough. When things get dry and noisy, then I reapply.

happy pedaling.

[Oct 15, 2012]
    zbear
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Best chain lube period!

I've tried a lot of chain lubes out there and Chain-L is the best. Chain-L isn't a big company backed by big advertising dollars, but it's the best chain lube I've used. I've used ProGold ProLink Chain, TriFlow, Finish Line Dry Teflon, Finish Line Wet, and even DW40.

Chain-L is thick and sticky and stays on the chain. Shifts are silky smooth and the drivetrain is completely silent. The metal to metal contact feeling and sound is almost nonexistent.

Works well in all conditions: dry, wet, muddy.

ProGold ProLink Chain
    TriFlow
    Finish Line Dry Teflon
    Finish Line Wet
    DW40

[Sep 05, 2012]
    MarcoL

OVERALL
    Strength:

Works excellent on wet, on hot sand, on mug, on water...

smells on the first hour...have to take some time to get it hot and lube, but you save more time after...

I have used this Lube on many races; La Ruta in Costa Rica, many river crossings, lots of mud, my friend use to lube every river crossing, and I did not!
    Titan Dessert on the morocco desert, lots of sand!! and the chain is only lubed on the inside, just clean with a rag aver day, this was a 6 day stage race, and 700 kms! lube every 2 day after the race...
    Transportugal Race, 1200 kms, the lube worked again very well,
    I even use this one on my road bike every 500 kms, very good product..

white lighting, clean and epic, and many more

[Nov 14, 2011]
    kevin29r

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quiet running, long lasting, water resistant, reduced maintenance, small amount needed per chain, easy to apply, wicks inside the rollers, dependable after crossing streams

Attacts dirt, but after stream crossings wet chains pick up dust regardless of lube used.

This is a back to basics chain lube of a heavy mineral oil type with friction modifiers. Think of it as a heavy duty lube similar to that of automotive use. Chains are under extreme pressure and need a heavy duty oil that stays inside the rollers. Thinner lubes allow more metal to metal contact. The thicker lube tends to occupy the gaps between roller and side plates so the dirt is mostly on the outside of the chain. Just wipe off the outside before each ride. I usually get 8 or so rides of about 13 miles each with 6 or so stream crossings before I decide to clean and re-lube. There is no rust on the chain with Chain-L. Lighter lubes resulted in a dirty chain also and required lubing and wiping and re-lubing after every ride.

Prolink, Icewax, Triflow, Dupont Teflon spray

[Sep 13, 2011]
    joefi

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable and fuss free. Great for commuter bikes dealing with rain, snow and mud.

Time consuming application, but well worth the wait.

Excellent Product. Follow the directions and you won't be dissapointed. I'm a maintenance geek, but the chain is now one component that I don't have to lose sleep over. Yeah, I was skeptical about this stuff, but it's been the best lube I've put on my mountain bike and commuter bike that I don't have to fuss with. I still wipe my chain from time to time, and clean my cassette and chainrings to help extend the life of my components, but the nice thing about this lube is that you don’t have to worry about it wearing off in the middle of your ride (b/c of muddy conditions or rain).

Rock'n'Roll Extreme, Pro-Gold, Pedros, Finish Line Wet, Squirt.

[Aug 27, 2011]
    PissedOffCil

OVERALL
    Strength:

Holds on to your chain like no other lube
    Lubes for a long time, even in the worst conditions

Smells bad, but I only care when I leave my biek in the car

This is by far the best lube I have ever used and I'll never use anything else. We had a very muddy summer this year and often it rained in races, this lube has kept my chains lubed in all these foul conditions and then some. I used it on all my mountain bikes and my GFs as well. Going to some endurance races in the next weeks, I won't leave without it!

Name it I probably tried it. My 2nd best lube would be Finish Line wet though.