Bike Medicine Purple Extreme Lube

Purple Extreme is an advanced, high performance, synthetic bike chain lubricant. It provides excellent protection for chains, open gears and exposed metal surfaces subjected to severe loading. In addition, it works extremely well even in abrasive, cold, wet or acidic environments. Purple Extreme's additive technology forms a slippery, super-tough, synthetic film on metal surfaces that protects drivetrain parts far beyond the ability of conventional oils or waxes.

[Nov 14, 2013]
SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lasting (not as long as advertised)
Doesn't attract a lot of dirt and grime
Chain runs super smooth

A little pricey

I upgraded to this lube. I really like it so far.

[Jan 23, 2010]
pahart

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely clean, drivetrain stays very clean.

Does not last nearly as long as advertised. Comes off rapidly in wet riding. Chain wears out quickly unless reapplied frequently to a very clean chain.

Great if you have a fetish about keeping your chain and everything it contacts very clean. Downside: requires frequent re-application, not good in wet weather, may cause chain to wear out prematurely.

Rock & Roll Gold

[Jul 16, 2009]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps the chain clean. Reduces chain wear.

Hard to find. It might not last as long as they claim but it lasts at least three times as long as T9

My XTR chain is now 2yrs old and has almost no stretch

T9 prolink rock and roll

[Jul 14, 2008]
rdoogan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very clean running, doesn't collect dirt in even the worst conditions. This also makes it very easy to clean up and re-lube.

Didn't last anywhere near as long as they suggested. About 100 miles and it was like no lube at all. Very wet/muddy conditions would reduce that even further.

I had big hopes for the mileage after reading the manufacturers promises, but I failed to realise those. You also have to clean up before you re-apply, and I'm a bit lazy.

On the positive side, cleaning is easy as it is very good at staying clean.

Personally I won't buy it again. I get about the same mileage out of the White Lightning Epic, and that has the advantage of being able to squirt and go when I'm in a rush.

I'm going to try Green Oil next, so I'll review that soon!

White Lightning Epic

[Dec 21, 2007]
Wayne Mews

OVERALL
Strength:

CLean Chain

durability.

LBS recommended that it was a good lube. I found it was only good for about 200 to 250 km in dry conditions and disappeared rapidly in wet condition. I felt it let my chain wear prematurely. The chain did stay nicely clean.

I lubed every week and cleaned the drive train with a citrus based cleaner. The best I mileage betwwen lubes was about 250km one week. I am light at 135 lbs.

A satisfactory lube but maybe not the best

[Jan 23, 2008]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

No buildup, chain stays clean

Wears off in harsh elements

I tend to be extremely shall we say anal about drivetrain care. Purple Extreme is the best I've found with the caveat that you need to keep on top of it. That means regular relubing, more than you're used to probably. And cleaning between applications, altho PE requires minimal cleaning because it doesn't build up. If you like to slather on lube and fugeddaboutit, PE is not for you. If you figure on replacing your entire drivetrain (cluster, one or more rings and chain) when the chain finally breaks, use engine oil. If you like a smooth-rolling, slick-shifting chain and a drivetrain that lasts through several chain-lives, PE delivers in spades.

Hey I've used every lube on earth; ProLink may be closest to this stuff

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.