Specialized Afterburner Sport Taillight Lights

• High output single LED taillight for safe nighttime riding.
  • Compact size mounts just about anywhere; universal mounting bracket included
  • Single ultra high output LED's with Specialized "Photon Funnel" lens system
  • Uses same high capacity Lithium battery as SpeedZone computers (included).
  • Steady and flashing modes
  • Extended run time: over 72 hours in flashing mode

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 06, 2013]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Battery life, size, ease of installation.

battery cap seems like it would come off easy but I've never had a problem with it.

I've had this light for about 10 years and I love it. I can use it on both my bike and a backpack because of the little clip. It's bright and the flash is effective.

[Dec 03, 2001]
    Car

OVERALL
    Strength:

It's very bright when you first use it. Cute design. Worked well for commuting in the city, at first...

If it touches water forget it...it dies. Not a good idea for Seattle weather. The housing unscrews too easily, too.

Don't waste your money on this product. It completely sucks and you end up having to buy another light when it dies anyway.

[Nov 20, 2003]
    Dave

OVERALL
    Strength:

None. It is complete junk.

I purchased this product. For some reason, I decided to install the battery and test it as soon as I hopped into my truck in the LBS parking lot. It didn't work...at all. I went inside, explained that I was going on a ride this evening and needed the light to work. They gave me a new one, no questions asked. At home, I began installing the light on my seatpost. It wouldn't work. I pushed the on/off button, held it down for a few seconds, whatever I could think of. This is the second one in two hours! Unreal. I can't beleive what garbage these are.

Look for something else. I can't recommend other taillights, as this was the first one I picked up. 3M reflective tape, anything else!

Only Niterider front lights.

[Sep 13, 2001]
    Klaus

OVERALL
    Strength:

bright WHEN WORKING
    photon tunnel widens LED light source to usable degree

damn light just does for 3 HOURS, then dead.
    opens by itself while mounted (unscrews)

I wear my lights clipped to my left sock not the bike, so the crappy mounting stuff does not affect me,

BUT it was really ugly for me to see the light to be dark while uphilling in a 6 km long tunnel (40 minutes) and being the only one of my buddies to have a "light" with me in last weeks holiday at lago di garda / italy.

here at home I bought some new batts and tested:
    after 3 hours the light is dead.
    also i noticed that the mounting clip unscrews itself while riding and after 90 degrees bent You will loose the light, battery and sealing.
    should this happen while in traffic, the light is lost, luckily it happended on a bike route

now i got back to the proway, which is not even as bright, but same small size and weight, clippable to sock, reflector included and blinking (for unknown reason we have a EURO-version of the afterburner here, just have steady mode)

proway PWL 600

[Sep 09, 2002]
    Mark

OVERALL
    Strength:

good looking box

Without a doubt the worst LED product ever made. The light on my keychain is ten times brighter, and cost half as much. I brought it back after one ride. IMHO one bright LED should be enough, so I was attracted to the small size. Whoever decided to put the big fancy "S" on this product must have been high, or thought it was "bright" in comparison to the joint they were smoking at the time.

bottom of the barrel

vista & trek...I always seem to break the mounting bracket within a year

[Aug 02, 2001]
    Astro

OVERALL
    Strength:

Small

It's so sucks!!!!!!!!
    I've rode this light maybe 2 or 3 times. If it enter in contact with water it's dead, it's really bad for a rear lampe who's fixed where all the splashes of the wheel comes.
    And the strap to fix it is so weak.

!NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT!

[Jun 30, 2001]
    Michael Moore

OVERALL

I believe your other rater, along with a liquored up mob,
    has hung this tail light in the town square. It isn't advertised
    as an International Airport Runway Beacon. It is also not
    presented to the perspective buyer as a red glowing bullet proof
    anvil tough object with intensely glowing properties and an unexplainable
    source of luminescence. I also feel that if he ordered a magnifying glass,
    he'd wait in the front yard for the postman to deliver a Hubbell
    telescope.
    This is a red rear bike light that functions as such. It is the
    size and weight of a normal marshmallow and is powered by an
    inexpensive battery the size and weight of one of those little bitty
    marshmallows SMUSHED. It does what is says it will do an it does it
    well.
    I've had girl friends that weren't as cute and cool as this
    product but I realized that they, like anvils and beacons aren't
    bike lights. I like mine emensly and if they made one I could wear
    on my head like a coronet, I'd buy two. Credit wher due.
    Let's rate tis baby a 4.3926!

[Apr 20, 2001]
    KK

Strength:

The whole product is weak!

This light sucks!!! I have owned lots of specialized products over the years and have usually been happy with their products..until now!!! First of all the light is only bright when viewed directly at their "photon tunnel" lens. It is not even close to bright when viewed from any other angle.
    But more dissapointing than the light itself is the ridiculous contraption they give you to mount it to your seatpost. The whole thing is supposed to be held to your bike with a rubber strap and a "turret". Thats right, no buckle, no locking mechanism, just a little knob that fits in a hole on the strap. This thing would not stay on jumping off the curb let alone an actual ride. There are so many good ways to mount something to a round tube and why they decided on a cheesy design like this is beyond me. Hopefullly the designers over their at Specialized will look at this thing again, especially the mounting bracket.
    Bottom line is that for 15 bones you could get a much better tail light, maybe even one that will stay on your bike!

[Jul 26, 2003]
    Wa

OVERALL
    Strength:

Small.

Somehow either discharges battery when not in use or always seems to last only as long as one ride. Serious waste of money.

Don't buy this worthless light.

Cateye

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.