NiteRider MiNewt 600 Cordless Lights

If you're like us, during your poorer university and post-grad days you would have to make do with whatever equipment you could afford. Long sleeve cotton tee shirts sufficed over summer jerseys well into December; flashlight attachments for hunting rifles latched precariously onto our handlebars. Now that you can afford Castelli or Assos winter gear, isn't it time to upgrade that bike light too? The NiteRider MiNewt.600 Cordless Light has an economy of space that makes it painless and easy to use, but it cranks out more than enough light to keep you visible on unlit roads. In fact, the 600 lumen output makes it a capable light for off-road use on singletrack trails.NiteRider builds their all-in-one headlamps as a way of giving the nighttime rider the best of both worlds. Since it's cordless, there won't be any irritating wires or battery cables to fuss with. It's entirely self contained, and the tool-less quick release mounting means that you can have it ready for use at a moment's notice. The output is impressive for such a small package, and it can run on the 600 lumens high setting for 1.5 hours. As with its little brother, the MiNewt.350, this stronger MiNewt.600 has three additional settings: 400 lumens medium level that lasts 3 hours, 250 lumens low level that lasts 4.5 hours, and what NiteRider calls walk level which can give you 10 hours at 100 lumens. With this version of the MiNewt, you have the option of mounting it on your handlebars or your helmet. The helmet option is great for those times when you need to be hands free, like changing a flat in the middle of the night.The MiNewt.600 comes with a low battery indicator so that you'll know when it's time to recharge the unit. Using the NiteRider smart charger will make the process simple, and the integrated Li-Ion Battery takes 5.5 hours to charge. The unit can fit on all handlebars up to 31.8mm in diameter. Weighing in at 190g the NiteRider MiNewt.600 Cordless Light is a perfect option for no-fuss, rapid mounting onto the handlebars.

[May 30, 2016]
Richard
All Mountain Rider

Battery

Used it one time for less than an hour. As most of my riding is during the day, when I went to use it again several months later it would not charge. Worthless, and essentially $180/hour.

[Sep 21, 2015]
Patti Spellmeyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Bright light

I used it twice. Now it will not charge at all, a terrible waste of valuable dollars.

In reading I see so many with the same problem. Seems like a flagrant lack of testing.

[Jun 08, 2013]
Dwight

OVERALL
Strength:

It did last for 1.5 hrs of a two hour night lap at Moab 24. Has not held a charge since. Typical NR questionable quality.

Only held a charge once.

Worthless. Low quality. Bright and light enough, if it works, but like other NR lights I have had, it too died very prematurely. Spend more for better quality. Cygolite's similar model is still working quite well for me, and got it at the same time

[Nov 05, 2012]
JDGreen

OVERALL
Strength:

bright light when it works

Battery won't hold charge reliably. Unforetunately I bought the light during the summer, but when it came time to use in fall (after daylight savings), it didn't work and I lost the receipt. The batteries can be "overcharged", but if you leave them uncharged for a long time, like the "off season" if you are a commuter in the north, they can't be recharged. The technology is not reliable

Do't buy the niterider brand. I have two ibn my garage thay don't work, that's about $400 of useless lights.

light and motion

[Aug 28, 2012]
Straz85

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice beam - very evenly distributed with no artifacts. Lights the trail or street nicely. Compact design, each to unclip from the handlebar mount. I like that you can leave the mount on and just disconnect the light unlike some other lights that you need to take off the rubber band mount. Makes it very convenient for commuting. I also got the helmet mount which is great for night mountain biking. I put this on my helmet and my 1000 lumen light with the external battery on my handlebars.

There are 2 things I think need to be improved. First, the handlebar mount is not very secure. I have 31.8mm handlebars and the clip only closes to the first click. I'm just waiting for it to crash to the ground one day when I hit a bump. I recently ordered the mount for the new light Niterider just released to replace the MiNewt Cordless which is supposed to be much better.

Second, needs a more precise battery meter. The power button turns red when you have about 15 minutes of light left. If you're not careful, you can end up with no headlight in the dark. I have another brand light that every 20% the power button changes colors so you know when you get to 80, 60, 40, 20.

Overall, I really like this light. Great for the price, built extremely well and NiteRider has amazing customer service.

[Aug 11, 2012]
Fuzz

OVERALL
Strength:

Killer spectrum and nicely focused beam.
USB charger.
Fast to charge.
Long run time relative to size, weight, and lumens.

The pads on the bar mount are just a bit too thick for 31.8 mm bars, so it takes some modifications to get the mount on solid enough to keep the light in place.

I find a single, well-focused LED, with a good spectrum, beats multiple LED lights any day. Two 300 lumen lights just isn't the same as one good 600. And the particular LED they use in the 600 is just a cut above in terms of spectrum as well. On the lowest setting, 275 lumens, it blows right through my MiNewt 250. I just bought a second 600 to replace the 250 on my bars, and the first thing I did was to charge it up and see how it compared to the last year's model. It looks identical.

The one thing Niterider did poorly was the handlebar mount. The pad is too thick, so it's really hard to get the thing clicked on tight enough to stay in place. I used double stick tape with a thinner pad on the bottom half to get the mount to really work right. Once I did that it worked great all last winter. I tried the new one and it's better, but it still needs to be thinner to fully engage (3 clicks). At this point it's just kind of funny that in all these years they've never managed to put in the right size pad, or even come up with a better handlebar clamp.

One the flip side, the helmet mount is fantastic. Best I've ever used. I like the clips in lieu of the more typical Velcro attach. The slide attach works so well that I find I can typical put the light on easily without take the helmet off. And the mount itself is so innocuous that I can just leave it on the helmet all winter.

MiNewt 250, as well as various halogens and HIDs.

[Aug 01, 2012]
lazybeaner

OVERALL
Strength:

Bright, well made light unit. easy recharging.

The POS handle bar mount

I have finally had it with this mount, it wont even stay in place on my commute to work, let alone on a trail. Road bike or mountain bike. This was my second niterider light, the first was a trail rat 2.0, it was a good light but had some issues also, but after this light I will not be buying another niterider product.

[Jul 10, 2012]
rachel

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent company and product. The warranty is also excellent. The clasp on the mount broke off after about 2 years of use and I called NiteRider and since the mount falls under the LIFETIME warranty they quickly sent me a new one. The customer service was great and the product is tough, durable, and effective. I've dropped it several times and it still keeps going. When I'm not biking I use it in lieu of a flashlight because the light is so powerful and clear.

none.

[May 29, 2012]
Mike E.

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, easy to use, good mounts included, fast charger, good battery life.

I use this on my helmet for night trail riding. It really is the only light I need but I also have a MiNewt 150 on the bars for a back up. It casts a bright, white and wide pattern. Excellent quality and cost ratio.

[Apr 24, 2012]
wXman
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Pricepoint - bang for the buck, bright, excellent beam pattern, lightweight, USB charging - could be recharged in the field with a solar USB charger.

Bar mount - poorly designed - epic fail

This light is an excellent value, with solid construction, great beam pattern, and true to advertised light output. It is lightweight, and because of it's USB charging capability, it could be charged in the field on longer over-night, multi-day trips. Charging, and helmet mount are both functional and seem well thought out, as does just about everything else about this light.

The Bar mount, however - is not... it is not a good design. It is next to impossible to close the clamp tight enough around the bars (and keep it closed) to keep the light from shifting position.

I have over-sized CF bars and with the rubber "shim" installed I can close the clasp, but not tight enough to keep the light from "sagging" during a descent due to normal chop on a relatively smooth trail. If I remove the shim from the mount, while it can be closed with more contact around the bar, it slips easier on the bar being plastic (instead of the grippy rubber shim in contact with the bar). Without the shim, the light nearly spins freely on the bar for me - even riding pavement. I've seen a couple places online that suggest a zip-tie to apply constant pressure to the clamping mechanism, but that is just hokey IMO.

The "light" portion vs. the trail weight of the MiNewt 600 is awesome, spectacular even given the price. If Niterider redesigns the bar clamp, then it will be a 5/5 flaming chilies product.

Niterider HID, and first generation Niterider Digital 12

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.