NiteRider Commuter Lights

Nightrider Commuter Light

[Nov 04, 2012]
JD

OVERALL
Strength:

Its bright when it works.

problems with battery recharge

U don't want this light. It sounds like a great light, and it very bright when it works, but its unreliable. The battery charge is spotty, it charges for a awhile, then it poops out, leaving you in the dark. Really in the dark.

[Jan 03, 2000]
Dan
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Extremely Reliable
2. Extremely Bright
3. Great Support from NiteRider

No NiMH battery option for classic system.

I use this light to commute 23 miles on road/trails to work. When I first purchased the light 3 years ago, the switch failed on my way to work. I called Nite Rider when I got to work. They were extremely helpful, called my local bike ship and had an immediate replacement ready for my ride home.One day I hit a set of RR Tracks really hard to avoid getting hit by traffic from behind. The force ejected the battery from the water bottle cage. Amazingly, the battery stayed connected as it was dragged about 100 feet to a point where I could safely turn off the road. The watter bottle batery had some road rash but was fully intact with cable and it kept working. It's the same battery I use today (it's getting a little tired now).

Nite Sun

[Jun 03, 1996]
Khanh Dinh

OVERALL

I've used a friend's commuter to compare to my nightsun and here are the results: the niterider commuter is the timex of lights, it takes a lickin' and keeps on shinin'. Compared to the nightsun, the niterider is a clydesdale of a light. It is the workhorse, being extremely durable. I'm not sure if i like the spot/lowbeam, flood/highbeam setup though. When i'm going fast, i like to see as far down the trail as possible. comparing the niterider to the nightsun is like comparing apples to oranges, they are completely opposite of each other. if the light patterns were reversed and the high beam had more punch, i would have gone with this light.

[May 21, 1998]
Carlos J. Montanez
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I installed not one but two Niterider Dual Beams on my mountain bike and I am very pleased with their performance. We regularly ride the Phoenix Mountain Park at night, a 3 to 4 hour roundtrip, and the lamps pierce the night. I've been able to appreciate the superiority of the Niterider over other brands. The Niterider is exactly what you need. These lamps are pricey, but then again, these are not toys; these lamps are the real thing. I believe it is safer to ride at night for two reasons: (1) the angle of the light beam creates a shadow over the terrain that gives you more information about the ruggedness ahead, and (2) it is not necessary to travel at high speed to reach the desired adrenaline rush. If you live in Arizona, summer days are tough, but summer nights are o.k.
The bottom line is -- if you want to master the night -- pay a little extra and get the real McCoy -- you'll be glad. Also, buy a timer at Radio Shack to time your recharge cycle to the letter. NiCad batteries last a long time when you take good care of them -- or none at all if you don't. You must understand NiCads very well before using them!

[Jun 30, 1998]
Kelvin Tan Kok Ann

OVERALL

Best desribe as a sun. Because even 4 hours of using in a jungle,the surrounding still look like it was day time.From far away,my bikes look likes a car.That is because i have installed two Nightrider Commuter Light.Best luck to u all.I can't wait for u guys of what are u all developing next!!!!

[Dec 17, 1997]
Alan

OVERALL

Best light I have ever owned - cyclops. Totally weather proof, tough as nails, construction rarely seen outside military pecs. One thing - I thought to upgrade to your top of the line system - it looks awsome - excpet that it is in gray - bogus! Bring back the black. And about the $300.00 price - I fell ass-backwards - twice. You gotta do something about that! Sorry bud, I'll buy another cyclops. Remember, most of us live in the real world and and have jobs, morgages,bills,...

[Feb 09, 1997]
victor sagie

OVERALL

while my niterider premium works ok,I have come to
realize that it's over priced compared to other
lights.my friend has a nightsun that seems brighter
than mine and also runs after mine goes dead,but he
spent less $ for it.

[Dec 01, 1996]
Peter

OVERALL

I bought a NiteRider XCL Pro aka Nighthawk as an addition to my NiteRider 10 watt single beam system I’ve owned for a year. I have the XCL mounted on my handlebar and the single mounted on my helmet. This set up works really well, allowing me to direct my helmet light around corners on trails, and while riding to the trails allows me to alert cars by directing the helmet light at them - 10 watts isn’t bright enough to blind them. The XCL obviously provides the bulk of the illumination.I looked at the G-Whiz Ultra Death Ray (an acquaintance makes them) and the Stadium Light before buying the XCL. The G-Whiz emits a prodigious amount of light, but I didn’t like the mounting system or the battery, and the Stadium Light had unproven reliability, a hideously expensive $100 replacement bulb, and much less flexibility than the XCL. Also, I don’t always ride with my light on, but when I turn it on I want light NOW. There is a delay between the time one turns the Stadium Light on and the time it actually provides light. I had visions of a tangled and bloody mess that once was me and my bike lying at the bottom of a cliff, and as I take my dying breath the Stadium light flashes ON.
Anyhow, the XCL is very nicely built and is breeze to operate. Although changing modes can be somewhat challenging while trying to remain upright on a bumpy trail, the single button arrangement is well thought out. The light is admirably bright with the two beams providing enough variance in what they cover for both to be useful separately and very effective when used in concert with each other. Unlike the other NiteRider dual beam system, there is no dark time in between high and low beam - just more or less light. A neat touch: when the light is off, a touch of the button allows you to flash the lights on, like on a car. Very cool! And especially useful during dusk when you’re not sure if the driver of that car sees you.Charging is easy, with no worries about over charging, and the fuel gauge works well. The only nit I can pick is that while the mount allows one to change the position of the light on the fly, the graduations are too large to allow any but one position to be effective. I would prefer a pivot with a friction clamp. The XCL is highly recommended for those that don’t have the time to train during the day.

[Dec 01, 1996]
Freddy Edgemon
racer

This light rules. I've tried older Cateye's, Specialized, and also the
Night Rider Cyclops. The commuter works awsome compared to these. The
rechargeable battery is great. And the 12watt bulb is perfect for roads,
but the whole 32watts is just perfect for the trail. There's no need not to
go not to go nightridding if you have the NR. Awsome!!!!!!!!

[Nov 17, 1996]
Jeff
racer

OVERALL

This is on the new NiteHawk light:WHOOAAA $300 dollars for a bicycle light??
That was my first reaction and I have tried many combinations of cheapy lights. I finally bit the bullet and bought what I considered the best light on the market. I already have a cyclops by Niterider, and have thoughly enjoyed it but found it lacking in light at times. Well that has all changed!!This is THE BEST LIGHT PERIOD!!In Anchorage we only have about 5.5 hours of daylight each day right now. That means that you need a light the other 18.5(You get the point, I use it a lot!!) After strapping this baby on and setting it up(required doing a quick ride on a flat road to ensure I had the beam pointed right) I was off. I rode for just under two hours in 14 degree temps. I had to stop once to adjust my helmet and left the light on the whole time(most the time on the spot beam at 12Watts) and when I got home it still had 1/4 its charge.
The truely amazing thing is the amount ++ quality of the light. Even compared to my Pro 6 / Cyclops(also made by Niterider) the NiteHawk was awesome.I don't know what else to say other than it hurt to pay for it BUT it adds about 8 months onto the riding season and provides EXCELLENT light!! And how many times are you going to buy a light, with this one it will only be once!!If anyone has specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them at [email protected]'t let the night slow you down!!
Jeffif they had a sixth star this would get it!!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.