Light & Motion Taz 1200 Lights

Available At
Best Price At

The Light & Motion TAZ 1200 will blow you away with its amazing 1200 lumen output, from only three LED's, and in a self-contained package. The Taz 1200 is ideal for either a super-bright commuter light or as a hefty supplement to a helmet-mounted light for night rides on the trail.

[Dec 21, 2018]
elerner61

OVERALL
Strength:

I’ve been using the Taz 1200 for three years now. Had some teething pains with my first one but the beam pattern is so fantastic I worked through them. Here’s my tips. 1.) You’ve got to use the supplied rubber that you stick on the handlebar, otherwise the light will slip and rotate. 2.) Charging of this light is heavily sensitive and dependent on the cable and perhaps the charger. If you use a thin gauge USB cable the light will take longer to charge. Use the thick USB cable that comes with it and a standalone 2.0 amp charger and charge time is cut to around 2 hours.

Weaknesses? I’d say getting the charging squared away. If I recall, it would give me a charging error until I started using the L&M cable AND charger.

Purchased:
New
[Jul 10, 2014]
Cb

OVERALL
Strength:

Good beam pattern. Ease of use. Very good construction. MUSA (if that matters to you).

DOESN'T GRIP BAR WELL AT ALL. Not balanced. Unrealistic stated run times.

I had to put TWO thicknesses of the included bar wrap AND use the thickest shim AND yank down with pretty much all my strength to the last hole in the silicone (?) strip to keep this thing from dropping down to just give my front tire a real nice light up..lol. I've used other lights with this strap type mount and this wasn't an issue so maybe they're using some cheap material. The unit doesn't feel balanced; feels front heavy. It will DEFINITELY flip over on you. It did this to me just riding on pavement riding to a trail.

Run times aren't as long as they state. On high, it's good for an hour max.

It DOES have an awesome beam pattern. No too bright spots that make it hard to see the edges. VERY even lighting with no weird transition areas. That's a nice and a most under-appreciated design element. Very well constructed and highly water resistant (proof maybe?). Made in U.S.,Inc. if that matters to you.

Definitely NOT worth 3 bills. Stores are heavily discounting these. DONT pay a cent more than $200.

Pay $200 MAX. Use on sub 1.5 hour rides. Best for the THICKEST bars or wrap a lot of tape and REALLY crank down on the mounting strap or will for sure be useless.

[Mar 26, 2014]
jrm

OVERALL
Strength:

compact self contained design, multiple led and side light solid and pulsing modes, USB charging.

battery reliability

This light has been a regular fixture on my commute rig for about the last 4 or so months. I like this light b/c its battery charger, mounting mechanism and light are all contained in one nicely sized compact package. The light features multiple solid and battery conserving flashing and pulsating modes with lumars ranging from 1200 to 300.

Accessing all of the light modes involves using a single button on top of the light to cycling thru a preset single press and press-hold menu. This makes accessing the lights many modes kind of complicated though and at times frustrating b/c the burn times associated with each mode are significant enough in that if you chose the wrong mode you could find yourself without a light if your rides exceed 2 hours or if you need a single charge to last more than one day so be careful. This isn't a game changer by any means but for any one interested in this light its just a heads up.

The bar mounting mechanism is simple strap/belt that wraps around the handlebar. The strap can be kinda of hard to grip, stretch and latch due to the durometer of the rubber used for the strap and the lack of a textured surface to grip when stretching and latching the the strap around the handlebar.

Since i bought the light it was working flawlessly until after charging the light over night it failed to light when i was rolling out of the driveway at o dark 30 on my commute earlier this week. That day I called L & M, described what was going on and they said that they'd get a replacment light out to me ASAP at no cost to me. Great company that stands behind their product.

MS 808, L&M ARC HID , Night Rider

[Oct 26, 2012]
Kirk Black
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

bright widely dispersed beam, light weight, no external battery or cord

none yet

I've been night riding single track for at least 10 years. I started out using Nite Rider products. They are suspect quality in my opinion and seem to last only a season or two. I have 3 in the garage that dont work. I became aquainted with Light and Motion after a friend recommended I purchase a Stella 300 as a replacement for a disfunct Nite Rider helmet mounted light. The Light and Motion Stella 300 has served me well for 5 years with flawless operation.

The TAZ 1200 is a new product so there arent many if any reviews out there. I decided to purchase one because the technology appeared cutting edge and I trust the company based on prior expierence with the Stella light. Wow, am I happy I made the purchase! The TAZ 1200 is a game changer. No external wires, batteries etc involved with this self contained unit that simply charges in a few hours on my iPad charger and then mounts to bars in seconds. The medium 600 lumen setting is very bright and battery life is good for a 3hr ride at 600 lumens. It casts a widely dispersed beam, essentially eliminating the need for a helmet mounted light. For technical descents, you can easily click over to the 1200 lumen setting and turn night into day. Amazing! For shorter rides the 1200 lumen setting is good for 1 1/2 hour. I highly recommend this light.

Various Nite Rider products, Light and Motion Stella 300

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.