Cygolite Night Rover Lights

Night-Rover is the most popular and economical rechargeable headlight system for the night time commuter. This 12.5-watt dual beam system is compact and lightweight, with a rechargeable frame mount Gel-Cel battery pack that will continue charging for years. Night-Rover comes with a CYGO LITE exclusive, PITCHED DUAL BEAM, giving the rider a 5 degree difference of beam aiming angles allowing full road coverage. Thumbscrew easily adjust beam direction up and down

• Easy-to-mount, compact rechargeable battery pack
  • Runs up to 3 hours on single beam- 1 1/2 hours on dual
  • 3 beam patterns (6.3w narrow, 6.2w wide, 12.5w combined)
  • Frame mount compact battery pouch
  • Charge time 10-12 hrs

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 16, 2012]
    timmcdonald

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, durability,

Heavy battery, not near as bright now since battery wearing down, pricey repair/replacement parts

The Cygolite Rover was my first and still only light. I bought it 7 or so years ago and it's still going strong. The battery is coming to the end of it's life cycle though and it doesn't get quite as bright as it did when new. However it still works for nightly 30 minute round trip. It's good for about 60-90 minutes of run time but dims drastically if it goes past an hour running. I finally just burned out the 2nd halogen bulb after years of use. I found a Phillips LED 20watt equivalent bulb at 140 lumens that is an MR11 size and it fit perfectly in the casing. So I put it and one of the burned out bulbs back in to seal it up. It was $25 at Home Depot. They also had a 100 lumen bulb for $20. I figure it was worth it to try since the Cygolite website has replacement bulbs for $11.99 plus shipping. The packaging says this bulb is good for 23 years of working life and is ok for damp conditions. It's meant for track lighting though so it will be interesting to see how it lasts out in the rainy Seattle elements. There are better LED options out there now but if you found a cheap used Rover, you can upgrade it to LED lights for $25. If I can, I'll post an update down the road sometime after I've used the Phillips LED bulb for awhile.

[Oct 20, 2008]
    rooftop77

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy to Use

Battery Life

For the price it's a nice light. I have always disliked the battery. I only ever got about an hour out of a charge. It lasted about two years. The charger and the light itself are still in great working condition dispite being beat to crap.

As an entry level light for less than $100 it is well worth the investment. I am older and more pickey now and would like a Li-Ion battery that lights up the world.

[Sep 04, 2003]
    adam

OVERALL
    Strength:

5 degree difference between spot and flood very clever and nice. ok value. ok battery life

switches suck if you don't have a third arm (please keep the laughing to a minimum. lol). very dim for XC. bearly acceptable under city lights. might make other night riders laugh at you compared to their 20+ watt systems, but who cares about that?

the only real nice feature is the 5 degree rise on the spot. i am not someone who rates things harshly when i use the product in a situation it was not designed for. if someone buys a HID system and rides a lot of XC at night, they made a good decision. if they use that in a city situation, good luck avoiding the police! when i ride at night (and more often when falls rolls in), i ride through a couple miles on well-lit sidewalks and streets. then my destination is almost pitch black. this light honestly performs poorly in both situations. it is simply not bright enough. i would recommend it to anyone who commutes under low-light conditions and have healthy night eyes. this is a tough review because i need something bright for my type of riding. someone else may find it plenty for their needs. oh well. i eventually replaced this product with a 25 watt bar-mounted system and a 12 watt helmut system. i guess that is needed for my riding.

[Feb 22, 2002]
    Eric Gilkison

OVERALL
    Strength:

For the dollar, its an awesome light. There is nothing in this price range that can beat it. More than enough illumination to cover anywhere I ride. The exception would be in north Hawaii back country, its so dark I even have trouble seeing with car headlights.

After 2 years and hundreds of night rides... (riding at night is just way to cool, feel like a cat prowling around)
    I wore out the switch for the high beam. It would be REAL nice if it had a remote switch to mount another on my helmet.

Like I said above... U can not beat this light for the price. Nothing as solid or dependable for the price. Good light output and the bulbs LAST! THe powercell lasts too!

Would be nice if it had a remote switch to make it easier to turn it on and off when its on my helmet.

If you are not Bill Gates and you want to try night ride this is your light. I bought the first 2 years ago and the second over a year and a half ago. My exgirlfriend has it now.

One recomendation, These lights are so cheap compared to whats out there.... Buy one for the bar and the other for your helmet mount.. Makes it easier to blind naughty barking dogs.

Over all rating of 4 chilies for not having a remote switch.

Glo-sticks, Maglights, Bic lighters, cheap AA thingys and a coleman lantern.

[Oct 16, 2002]
    J.

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap?

Not bright enough for XC riding

I returned it after using it once, and am going Franken-light. These things are just way too expensive. 12 watts is not bright enough for single track at night. Maybe okay for riding the local commuter path or rail trail or to be seen by cars. For about the same amount of money and some time in the workshop, you can build a dual beam, 35 watt system with a 1.5 to 2.5 hr run time.

I've ridden with others with brighter lights. This one is too dim

[Aug 18, 2006]
    Patrick

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, bright.

Bad switches, delicate battery.

The ability to break the battery by overcharging or overdischarging is a great weakness. Damn switches work fine in the garage, then go bad on the road. I'm looking forward to an upgrade, but it has served me well as a decent entry-level light.

This is my first decent (>3W) headlight.

[Dec 13, 2001]
    Doug Sloan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Simple, reliable, sufficiently bright

must be careful not to overcharge battery; not self-regulating

This light is sufficiently bright, and flat out works every time; it is perfectly reliable, which is fantastic compared to $350 Niterider systems that don't work; great value.

I like the battery in the little bag that hangs over the top tube, as is doesn't use up a bottle mount. Could mount it on a long stem, too.

I like this light. For it's price, you could buy 4 or 5 of them for one Niterider. I bought Niteriders expecting more brightness and longer battery life, but he hassle just isn't worth it compared to zero hassle for the Cygolight.

I lost the handlebar mount, and Cygolight politely took my call (no run-around in phone purgatory) and sent me two of them immediately. Good customer service.

Niterider Digital Pro 12 LCD (2); 2.5 watt lights

[Dec 30, 2001]
    eddie ortiz

OVERALL
    Strength:

great price, worked to perfection. took it out in pitch black nite, and it wasn't bad. Didn't lose way or hit anything. Pretty bright beams.

handlebar mount doesn't illuminate well on turns because beams point in direction handlebar is pointed, but with a cheap light mounted on helmet, it can't be beat.

I had absolutely no compliants, for the money this light worked like a charm, even on tricky trails in the dark. It was scary but fun!!!

[Sep 29, 2002]
    J. Brink

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price. Very nice light output.

Battery constraints.

This is a *great* light for the price. I was looking for a light that could offer more than the 2.5w lights, but that wasn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg. I simply have no need for a light that is worth more than my bike! :-) This meets all the requirements. I am cycling both city and rural roads early in the morn, or after sunset. With this light, I feel like I can travel 15-20 mph and see far enough ahead that I won't be caught by any surprises in the road.

The downside is the battery. I am used to my cellphone, cd player and laptop all charging as much as they need automatically. The whole concept of noting the amount of light usage and charging accordingly - with the danger of ruining the battery by either under or over-charging - feels a little outdated. But, that's why the price is so low, and I can live with that.

This light is a *tremendous* value and I highly recommend it if your usage is anything like mine.

Cheap little 2.5W jobbie.

[Sep 27, 2001]
    Frank'n'speed

OVERALL
    Strength:

cheap.

Lightpattern barely visible on asphalt.
    Cateye batterylamp has more lightoutput than this.
    Cheap

As a commuterlight it doesn't work. Wouldn't even think of using it for offroad or 24hr races.
    Maglights are even better...

nightsun, cateye, dynamopowered lights

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.