Cygolite Night Rover NiMH Lights

Description:

• 12w dual beam halogen headlight
  • 3 beam patterns (6w wide, 6w narrow, 12w combined)
  • High Capacity NiMH battery
  • Compact battery is 1/2 size of a water bottle
  • Exclusive high beam pitch for better road coverage
  • Side-to-Side swivel for excellent peripheral vision
  • Sleek, low profile, tough thermo-plastic casing
  • 3 hour run time (1.5 hours on dual beam)
  • Quick release mount
  • Upgradeable to Helmet Mount(Helmet Mount Kit sold separately)

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 04, 2008]
    fightnut

OVERALL
    Strength:

Inexpensive, fair amount of light for price that I paid. Battery on this model is smaller and lighter then some models.

Battery is still big compared to many new lights on the market, handlebar mount doesn't fit oversized bars well.
    Light is typical incandescent yellowish tint. Would need more light for deep woods mtb'ing.

I got mine on sale for $49, so not too bad. I would be bummed if I paid full price for them though, as they just aren't bright enough for my needs.

"Pondscums"

[Aug 31, 2007]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

When it works, the light is adequate for the price.

The connection between the battery and the light has a gap at times, causing it to just turn off.

Bottom line is that there is a short somewhere in the cable connection coming out of the battery that causes the lights to shut off. I happened to me on a trail ride once and left me in the dark. I would stay miles away from this product - have a friend that had similar issues - the stuff is crap. Don't skimp on lights - it's too important to have a reliable unit. I recommend the Nite Rider stuff - far superior.

Nite RIder Rat

[Oct 06, 2005]
    Jim Wrona

OVERALL
    Strength:

Inexpensive. Holds charge a long time. Simple. Excellent value. So cheap, it's almost disposable.

Manual, not automatic charging. Not a big deal, however, because of the price. For trail riders this thing may lack power.

Terrific value for road riding/commuting. Questionable if used on trails because of low wattage. I'm very satisfied with the product and price.

A bunch

[Jan 15, 2006]
    Christian Blackburn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price

Durability the lights burned out twice within a year!, the battery started loosing its charge, and the plug from the battery to the light no longer stays in, so it's basically useless.

I highly recommend putting your money down on something that'll last longer and be brighter. The Black Diamond Zenix IQ is 35 dollars at REI and is brighter, lighter, and uses 2 REPLACEABLE AA batteries. That's good if you're cheap, the ViewPoint EVO Dual Headlight System was about twice as bright, more reliable, but still problematic, if you can afford it take a look at products from Light and Motion or Lupine.

ViewPoint EVO Dual Headlight System, Black Diamond Zenix IQ

[Jul 23, 2006]
    Tony

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bright for entry level light. The beam pattern has good spread. The runtime is enough for those nighttime adventures. The dual bulb design gives you peace of mind. Compact battery, compact light housing, and low overall system weight.

Tends to be overpowered by street lamps. Not enough light if you're flying, the way I like to ride. The housing overheats if you're not moving. Mine came with a blown bulb from the factory, but the problem was immediately resolved by the seller and factory. 6 watt, 6 volt MR11 halogens are hard to find.

Great entry level rechargeable light. This little system puts out way more light than the AA or AAA powered lights and has the dual bulb design. It is a great upgrade from the non-rechargeable systems, and has enough output for those strolls around town. This is the step up from the "be seen" strobing LED lights to the "see where you're going" headlight. This won't cut it for offroad use or for riding at more than 15mph unless you're on a straight road/sidewalk.

This is my first lighting system. I'm upgrading to a Niterider Flight :) so stay tuned.

[Sep 06, 2005]
    EHargrove

OVERALL
    Strength:

Compact, lightweight design. Bright Lights.

The bulbs that came installed in the light housing blew after only a few minutes use and are expensive to replace.

Installed the light on my bike, charged up the battery per the instructions and waited for darkness. After it got dark I plugged the battery into the light housing and as I rode around for a few minutes in my yard, the wide beam bulb stopped working. A few more minutes went by and the narrow beam bulb quit as well. I double checked all connections, and then checked the battery. I used a 12v test light and got juice from the battery and all the connections in the housing. Then I check the bulbs and discovered both were blown. I called the CygoLite Company in California and told them my dilema. I was told the bulbs were $11.95 each, but that the light was still under warranty and they would send me replacements for free. But still, the lights at $11.95 a piece, not including shipping, and they seem to not hold up well to shocks and bumps.

Other than the bulb problem, I really like the light. Extremely bright and provides excellent lumination on trails and roads.

[Feb 17, 2005]
    Paul Robbins

OVERALL
    Strength:

The battery is truly a featherweight.The light more than lights up the roadway.

1.5 hours of battery time if both lights are being used.

Excellent light and value. I tried other lights in this price range and this is the best for the money. I purchased this light in used condition on eBay. It arrived without the handlebar mount. I called Cygolight, explained the situation and FOR FREE they gave me a replacement one that day. Andrew could not have been nicer-they have and deserve this customer's loyalty.

Cateye; Night Hawk 5 watt lamp; Brite light sealed beam headlight & 6 volt SLA batttery

[Aug 28, 2004]
    Walter

OVERALL
    Strength:

Dual beams, one for wide angle coverage and the second narrow beam for distance.

none with the slower speeds when XC mountain biking

After reading other reviews I was concerned it this light would be bright enough for mountain biking good single track. My second concern was battery run time. I just completed a full moon ride in the desert and this light worked great. Climbing hills I only travel between 2-4 mph so the wide angle was fine. On the flats I travel between 5-10 mph and the narrow beam was lit up the trail a good 50 feet. Enought time to avoid hazzards. Going downhill with twists and turns I traveled between 10-15 mph and had both beams on.
    As far a battery life goes, I used one beam for 1 hr. and dual beam for 30 min. and when I got home I still had 1.5 hours of single beam life left. The last half hour the light gradually got dimmer giving you lots of warning of when you battery is about to die.

[Dec 03, 2005]
    Michael

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very good light output. Outstanding customer service.

For the money spent, none

Bought this to be used as a supplemental handlebar-mounted light, pointed barely in front of the front wheel. In other words, the helmet light is used as the primary light, and this $70 light would be pointed to provide light out to maybe 20'.

When we first took it out of the box, one of the bulbs was dead. I called the 800 number in the box, explained my problem, and they sent a new one via Priority Mail straight to the house, and they included a spare. Four days, no questions asked.

This light has proven to be extremely reliable, and the simplicity is a bonus. If you expect to bomb tight singletrack with this as your main light, you will be in for heartache. If you use it as supplemental lighting, then you will be very pleasantly surprised. It lasts over 2 hours, which is the longest we have had it out.

NR Digital Evolution (junk), NR Trail Rat (excellent) and L&M Solo Logic (exc.)

[Sep 29, 2005]
    Peter

OVERALL
    Strength:

Two-bulb redundancy, long burn time on one bulb

No low battery indicator LED

After my other fancy $200 digital light broke, I was so happy that REI took it back, gave me full credit, I then bought the Cygo for only $74 and I am so happy with it. I go from dark suburbs to well-lit city on my commute, so I alternate between the two lights, narrow vs wide, as I progress to work. I don't really burn both at one time, one is plenty bright for commuting at 15 MPH.

NiteRider Digital Evolution

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.