Cygolite Night-Rover NiCad Extra Lights

• Runs up to 6 hours on single beam- 2 hours on dual
  • Battery Low L.E.D. Indicator
  • Exclusive pitched dual beam gives full road coverage
  • Thumbscrew easily adjust beam direction up and down
  • Easy-to-mount, rechargeable NiCad water bottle battery
  • 3 beam patterns (10w narrow, 6.3w wide 16.3w combined)
  • Sleek, low profile, tough thermoplastic casing
  • Easy to install/remove quick release mount
  • Side-to-side swivel for excellent peripheral vision
  • Upgradeable to helmet mount (HELMET MOUNT KIT SOLD SEPARATELY)
  • Charge time 15-17 hrs

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 22, 2005]
    Scotty
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Value, duration of charge, 2 lighting choices.

None for me so far.

[Though this is an ATB site, it's the only good bike product consumer rating site that I've found.] I only use this light for commuting a few miles each night on a busy suburban road, and neighborhood streets. My main concern in this setting is to be seen, rather than to see (except on trash day when I scour the local neighborhood for stuff to scavenge--I use it like a flashlight). It has worked well in this regard. Because of all the street lights and traffic on the busy road, I haven't been seen at intersections by some negligent drivers when I'm using the 6 watt light; therefore, I switch on high beam when approaching intersections. No car driver wanting to turn in front of me has not seen me when both lights are on. Six watts on the low bulb doesn't sound like much when compared to household bulb wattage rating, but when I looked at this light from a distance (~30 yards), I was surprised at how bright it is, and surprised that some cars either didn't see me, or ignored me when only the low beam was on. I believe that this light would be plenty of light on dark country roads. Because I'm not riding for hours at once, I can't comment on the actual duration of charge for my light. I don't keep track of the hours I get from a charge. I don't seem to have to charge very frequently. For my purpose, this light was the best value. Sure, it'd be nice to have a light as bright as car lights, but not for as much or more money than my bike cost.
    Oh, and I haven't experienced any of the problems with the switches or anything else that others have complained about here.

Before this, I've only used cheap crap with standard consumer non-rechargable batteries. Never again. I carefully screened the reviews of lights on this site before making a decision to buy this.

[Feb 19, 2004]
    Deadhead Archer

OVERALL
    Strength:

Long use period, bright, small.

Connection between light and battery. Long recharge period.

I purchased this product because I wanted a bright riding light for jaunty night rides, and the lengthy usage was a significant plus!

My biggest complaint about this product is the weak connection between the battery and light! I have to wrap a rubber band around the light assembly to hold the connector in, else it doesn't get a good charge. Without the rubber band, I get a "low battery" indicator almost right away even with a freshly charged battery and the light flickers on/off if it even illuminates at all. That makes this light irritating and annoying to use.

When it works (after wrapping the connector and light together with a rubber band), this product functions well otherwise.

2 Flaming Chilis for the value due to the poor quality connection. A light that doesn't stay lit outside of comsumer modification isn't a great product, IMO.

Cats eye products. This is my first rechargeable light.

[Jan 06, 2004]
    mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

value for price, good light spread for nightime cruising, long run time.

no smart timer, but took suggestion from other viewer and bought $6 timer at local hardware store, no problem. low bulb burnt out after 2nd ride. called cust. serv., faxed receipt. new bulb in a week. free. no problems since.

wasn't sure about riding at night so didn't want to shell out big bucks. glad i chose this product. opened up a new avenue to ride. i just cruise xc so this light is just right for me. i will buy a higher end lamp for my helmet now that i know how much fun riding at night is. replacement bulbs are around $11 so i plan on ordering up a few as backup and it will still be a value.

[Oct 03, 2002]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Unbeatable price for a quality dual-beam system; clear, focused beams are bright enough to light your way; durable and simple to mount and remove; helpful, personal customer service

My burn times have been very disappointing; spare/replacement bulbs are expensive; long recharge time could be inconvenient for daily commuters

With a very limited budget, I ordered this light based only on the reviews from this site, and it really is an excellent light for the price; it's perfect for my short errands and commutes on mostly suburban streets. The bright 10w narrow beam is great for street riding, especially in bad weather or when going down hills, but I've been using the 6w wide beam exclusively and have had no problems seeing the road. The recharge time is 15-17 hours, so commuters will need an alternate light or battery if they can't reach the weekend on one charge. I would easily give a '5' rating if my burn times weren't so bad; the battery should last up to 6 hours with only the 6w beam (3 hours with the 10w and 2 hours with dual beams), but in my 4 completed charge cycles, I've gotten 3, 4, 2:15 and 2:10 hours of '6w time'. I haven't seen this complaint from anyone else, so if your battery is normal, you'll give this light 5 flamin' chilis; for me, I have a 6w light that lasts for 2 hours before needing a 16 hour recharge, so for someone who hoped to use this light for daily commutes, I can only give 3.5 'smoldering' chilis.

This is my first 'real' bike light

[Jul 31, 2001]
    Skillet

OVERALL
    Strength:

Inexpensive! Great lumination! Long Life! Easy to recharge! very convenient.

Havin' to turn the light on with the switch behind the light instead of the switch bein' on the handlebar. That's all of my complaints.

I had a better ride up at Tsali at night than I did in the daytime. Cygolites kick! Never will change name brands, maybe models but that's it. If want good deals email this Kat and he will send you a list of items he has for sale. The cheapest prices in the US. From cranks to jerseys to rims to hubs and everything in between. This dude is the bomb.
    [email protected]

Nightsun

[May 25, 2001]
    Jon

OVERALL
    Strength:

NiCad battery with extended run time
    LED indicator on head unit to show battery is low

This light has the basics you need to ride at night. I got the light because of the extended run time, 3-6 hours depending on the dual or single beam use. The NiCad battery fits in my water bottle cage and the LED indicator is helpful for extended rides. I reccommend this light to anyone since I haven't found a comparable light at such a great price.

[Feb 25, 2000]
    Tim Lee

OVERALL
    Strength:

6 hour runitme
    PRICE
    Looks Good

None I have seen

I went looking for a new light after my old light gave out on me after 2 mo. (BLT). I commute everyday, so I needed a light with a very long runtime. The dealer told me about the new Night Rover Xtra has a 6 hour runtime. I was thinking great, how much $$$$. The best thing about my new light was I didn't have to hand over hundreads of dollars ($90). I have used the light everyday for 3 months and it is perfect for my commute.

BLT

[Feb 17, 2000]
    Terry David

OVERALL
    Strength:

RUNTIME
    Red Indicator light

I have recently bought the Night Rover-NCXT, after using the Night Rover religiously for 2 years. The main reason I went with the Night Rover-NCXT, was runtime (6-hours). For $89, you can't find a better light with all the perk. It comes with a indicator light on the headunit letting you know when to charge the battery, it also has a safety of 15- 30 minutes, battery life just in case. Like I said above no better light for the price.

Nite Rider

[Feb 12, 2001]
    Randy Beach

OVERALL
    Strength:

price and the amount of battery life. 6 hours is hard to beet. You can buy a helmet mount that greatly increases the lights convenience.

The plug into the light vibrates out over ruff terain but a small rubber band fixed that.

For the money you will be very hard pressed to find a light/ battery combination that is as bright and lasts as long as this one. I have tried a few other lights from the same company and they all seem to have the problem with the plug. I comute everyday about 6 miles from "ALL" weather conditions and it hasn't let me down yet. With Alaska's long winters you must have a light that is bright and reliable.......This is that one.

other cygolights

[Aug 18, 2001]
    Rod Paille

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lots of light. Lots of burn time. Seems like a great company for customer service!

Had to make a special mount for my bike. Conventional bikes would not have a problem

So far I'd recommend this light and this company. Most of my night riding is done on dark country roads and quite honestly the 6.3 watt is fine most of the time. It's bright enought that most cars dim their lights for me! I use the 10 watt bulb only occasioinally. It's nice to know I have a spare bulb. However the 10 watt bulb burned out after just a short time (probably no more than an hour or so total time on that bulb). I'd had the system for almost 3 months. I called the company and they informed me that it was still under warrantee. I faxed them the receipt from the bike shop and in less than 2 days I had a new bulb. No charge. No shipping charge. That's service!

Cheap 2.4 self contained lights

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.