Cygolite Night-Explorer NiCad Lights

• Thumbscrew easily adjust beam direction up and down
  • Easy-to-mount, rechargeable NiCad water bottle battery
  • Runs up to 3 hours on a single beam- 1 hour on dual
  • 3 beam patterns (15w narrow, 10w wide, 25w combined)
  • Easy to install/remove quick release mount
  • Sleek, low profile, aluminum alloy casing
  • Side-to-side swivel for excellent peripheral vision
  • Bright anodized colors: Red, Blue, Black
  • Upgradeable to helmet mount (HELMET MOUNT KIT SOLD SEPARATELY)
  • Charge time 15-17 hrs

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 25, 2003]
    Joe D

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, well constructed, aluminum housing, heavy duty wires, nice battery. Good hardware (switch)

Charger, not a "smart" charger nor does it really indicate that the battery is actually charging so if you are not making a connection you dunno.

Great light. Well made, I loved it. I paid so little money for it yet it works so well! I bought it brand new and I think it is a great product. I normally don't post up reviews but this company deserves recognition for such an excellent product. I personally use the 15 W narrow beam, although the 10W is fine. I liked this light so much that I am buying another Cygo lite for the helmet. Testament to a truly great company and a great product. As far as a "smart" charger. This can be remedied by going and buying an outlet charger at Radio shack, set it for 17 hours and walk away. There are also some aftermarket chargers that might work with this. I cannot recall which but it is worthy of investigation. You really want something that is a "peak" indicating charger. One that will detect when the battery is 99% full and keep it there on a trickle charge till you need to use it.

[Jun 03, 2003]
    Bugzee Malone

OVERALL
    Strength:

White light,
    Small alloy case,
    3 hrs plus at 10w
    10w is enough for most trails

Battery is heavy...can't be helped, I guess.
    15 to 17 charge time.
    No smart charger

This light system is VERY good value for the money.
    It has survived quite a heavy crash and didn't miss a beat.
    I get a 3hr plus run on the 10w setting.
    As I said the 10w is enough for most trails and I only use the full 25w for real fast stuff.

I always run the light at 25w on the way home to try to run the battery fully down before charging it again. (Sometimes I have had to go for a ride the next day as well:)

I am thinking of buying a helmet mounted one as well...thats
    how pleased I am with this product.

Various

[Sep 03, 2003]
    adam

OVERALL
    Strength:

wicked bright!! don't even need the 15w very much. never need the total wattage, not even on the trail! aluminum body, sealed bulbs against water and a lightweight "water bottle" battery. priced right

it would be perfect if the 15w spot was angle 5 degrees like the rover, but still pretty good.

i don't use this light a lot yet, but i will as fall and winter roll in. i got it now (summer) so i could familiarize myself with night riding. the light is so bright that i unknowingly rode towards a guy late at night and he thought i was the police! if you buy this light and add a helmet light for "spot lighting on demand", you will have a winning combination when riding at night.

[May 28, 2003]
    Georg

OVERALL
    Strength:

Obviously the strongest point of this product is its excellent VALUE. For under $100 you get bright light, good quality and a reliable product. No problems so far in 9 months of commuting (2 hours in dusk/at night on paved back-roads). The 10W single beam is sufficient most of the time.

Yes, a smart charger would be nice. The charging time of 16 hours is too long if you want to use this light with its full capacity every day. However, the system never let me down even if I charged it only for 12 hours.

If you are on a tight budget (or think that $350.- is too much to spend on a pair of high-tech bulbs and a battery under any circumstances) and you are looking for a good reliable set of lights, then this may well be the best system for you. Mine has worked very well for me and I can fully recommend this system.

P.S. Is there an electronics-crack out there who came up with a home-made replacement battery or -better still- a smart charger? I'd be very interested; contact GEORG AT MAILBLOCKS DOT COM

[Jan 31, 2007]
    Chris Andersen

OVERALL
    Strength:

Reliable, dual beams, tough (I OTB'd with it on my handlebar, which dented the metal casing... but didn't harm the performance at all).

Heavy battery, slow charge times, limited burn times.

I've used this light for more than 3 years, for training and racing 24-hour MTB events. My first 24-hour race, I used this light alone (no helmet light); it got me around the course without incident, but I wised up and got a helmet-mounted light in addition to this one the next time around. Anyway, this light has been a great value for the money. Sure, I'd love an HID light or something with longer burn times, quick charger, etc... but you've got to pay big bucks for that stuff. If you're looking for a basic, dependable light to give you 60-90 minutes of burn time, this one will easily do the trick. I would note that the difference b/t the 10w wide and 15w narrow beams are not significant, so I've found it best to just use the 10w wide setting (which gives the longest burn time). I never use the two beams at the same time. Finally, I was impressed with the durability, considering I crashed my first night ride with this thing--dented the case and scuffed it up pretty bad, but it still worked perfectly, and still does to this day (more than 3 years later).

Vistalite.

[Dec 06, 2006]
    Scott Messenger

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great bright light! Dual beams, and multiple settings.

Get's hot. Limited run time in "high" mode - only about 1.5 hours. No smart charger. Battery heavy, and failed after two years. Still, a great product, and a great value!

I was able to do 35mph descents (on the street) w/ reasonable safety at night due to the incredible beam this thing made. I did many night rides on the streets without incident because I was actually able to see the road. I also felt it made me MUCH more visible to motorists.

It's definitely on the heavy side. Not an issue for me, I figure since I'm riding at night, I'm getting in bonus training already, and the extra weight wasn't worth the price of a smaller light to me. I figure I can just pedal a little harder - and when the sun comes back out - I'll be that much stronger and lighter!

I give it 5 chilies for value, and 4 because it's not the "Best" - HID is going to kick this things butt - but you'll pay three times as much... It's a terrific value though - you'd be hard pressed to get this much light out of a less expensive product, and I always felt like I could see. Great for roadies, and would probably be great for trail riders as well! Highly recommended!

replaced this item w/ the Cygolite 300 DualCross - it's a better light, but more expensive...

[Oct 18, 2003]
    Rob

OVERALL
    Strength:

Simple to use, lights up the track really, really well!

Charge time of 15-17hrs sucks but if you splurge on a second battery you can get 6 hours from the 10w wide globe.

In 2002 I rode in a 24hr race (as part of a team) with old cheapo lights - you know the kind you had as a kid with a couple of C cell batteries in them! Damned if I know how I survived. I have just done this years race with my Cygolite and it was a thousand times better. Did the whole thing on the 10w wide beam and it was more than enough light even on the twisty downhill sections. Highly recommended.

Even on the darkest nights in the forest that felt like something out of the Blair Witch Project - the cygolites turn night into day.

None.

[Jul 25, 2001]
    Glen Murphy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Insanely bright.

Less than ideal controls.
    Complicated recharging procedure.

Super bright lights - I'd hate to imagine the number of people I'd blind if I purchased the helmet mount kit.

The controls are nowhere near as funky as I've seen on cheaper system - you basically have one button on the light which toggles between wide - dual - narrow, and with the light mounted close to the stem, it makes switching beam strengths less than easy (a remote button that can be placed away from the light ala the nightstick would be nice.)

Charging the system is a bit annoying - there are no lights to indicate that it's actually charging, and there's no autocutout/trickle charge - you're just supposed to charge the lights for 15-17 hours, and NO MORE than 24 hours (otherwise permanent damage results.) This wrecks havoc with my unscheduled lifestyle.

On the roads, the widebeam is more than adequate, and on the trails, the dual beam makes you look like you're out to hunt some oversized monster. Mount is secure, the waterbottle battery stays where it's supposed to, it just works the way it should.

This was purchased at the only store in melbourne I could find that stocked them, and the price ended up being A$300, which is a bit more than ideal. The value rating below is based on the US RRP, though.

If they had included a better charger, this would be getting 5 chilis, but as it is, I have to spend too much time worrying about overcharging. *grumble*

[Feb 02, 2003]
    john

OVERALL
    Strength:

durability, reliability, tolerance to cold, effectiveness, design and economy.

not bleeding edge technology, lack of coil cable, non-smart charger and lack of velcro to hold battery in cage.

unless you have $400 to get the HID system, you may as well get this. it kills my nightrider digital niteowl II like you wouldn't believe. it will easily last two hours in sub-zero (celcius) weather. i've been using it for nine months now of nightime city riding and it totally meets my needs.

vistalite and niterider since the original pro-6.

[Mar 31, 2003]
    Chris Andersen

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price and durability (I've wrecked twice and banged up the aluminum casing pretty good, but the light itself still works perfectly). This light seems to be just as good as some of the more expensive systems I've seen on the trail.

Charging. I still don't know how long I should charge for, especially if I've only used half of the burn time. A smart charger would be awesome. On a positive note, I also overcharged my battery on accident (24 hours plus), but it didn't seem to do any damage at all.

I think this is a great light for the price. I'm using it in the 24 Hours of Adrenalin series, and it works just fine. I'd recommend a helmet-mounted light in addition to the bar-mounted system, but if you can only afford a bar-mounted system (like me), this one should do the trick. I'd definitely recommend this system to a friend.

None; this is my first system. The guys I ride with use Specialized Fireballs and NiteRider systems, and this system compares favorably. Of course, the HID lights blow these away, but unfortunately I don't have $350 to spend on a lighting system!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.