Cygolite DualCross PRO NiMH Lights

• 8 total brightness / flashing settings:
  • Bicycling Mode: High / Med High / Med Low / Low
  • Special Mode: Fast flash / Slow flash / Walking / SOS
  • 3 stage battery level indicator integrated into the headlight
  • LED indicator on the headlight shows brightness mode being used
  • Optional Helmet Mount Kit Now Available
  • Cross-Fire™ design spreads the beams side-to-side for maximum ground coverage
  • Pocket sized NiMH battery straps to the frame of the bike
  • Two switches scroll up or down on the brightness settings
  • Durable shockproof LEDs
  • Smart charger
  • Heavy-Duty Flip-Lock handlebar bracket fits oversized & standard sized handlebars

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 03, 2009]
    thephoenixson

OVERALL
    Strength:

good price, pretty light weight, good beam pattern, decently bright, plethora of light modes

kind of big and bulky, helmet mount sold separately

the light is fine, especially for the price. however i got a Magicshine at the same time and will be selling this one off and getting another Magicshine.
    However, Cygolite's customer service is kick ass. i ordered the wrong helmet mount because the parts chart i used was wrong. called them up and they shipped me (2nd day for free) what was supposed to be the correct mounting plate, but it wasn't. so i called them up again and they shipped me the proper mounting plate for the helmet mount free of charge.
    buy the light if you want, but definitely enjoy the awesome customer service you get with Cygolite.

NiteRider Classic Halogen

[Jan 17, 2009]
    DrD

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bright, long battery life, customer support

bar clamp could be better...

Upgraded from a dual beam 20W halogen - this is much brighter, plus the run time is excellent! Smart charger is a plus, as is the battery gauge. First bar clamp failed on me (it was defective - it got loose, but didn't drop the light or anything) but a quick call and they sent a new one out immediately! got it in just a few days! I use it mostly for my commuter, so I have noticed that if I aim the light up too high, I get a dark spot in the middle (from the crossing beams) which is annoying, but nothing I can't live with. The strobe mode is nice for inclement weather riding (who doesn't get caught out in the rain now and then!) Overall, I am extremely happy with this light!

CygoLite 20W halogen (dual beam)

[Nov 01, 2008]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

rugged, simple to use, light head is well sealed, very bright for the price. Battery last exactly 4 hours as claimed. Hassle free charging system.

The helmet mount could be much better. It's just a metal bracket that has to be bent to get the light to focus where you want it to. Could be more compact.

This is a great light for the money. I have been using for about 3 months and am really enjoying it. It's at least twice as bright as my old halogen 15W light and I can see far more into the distance. For the most part I use it as a helmet mount and that seems to work the best. On the bar I found the light did not disperse enough to provide good ground coverage but I think there is a lens that can be purchase for peanuts that will diffuse the light for a bar setup. I have seen friends use many different lights, some more expensive (Dinotte 600L), blackburn, various halogen lights and weird flashlights configurations but overall for the money this is the best light you can buy. The Dinotte light is brighter then this one but it's far more expensive.

Last product used was a Planetbike Alias halogen light

[Oct 04, 2008]
    scott pokallus

OVERALL
    Strength:

very bright for the miney!!!!

smart chager!!!!!

I love the bright L.E.D light and for the price I don't think you can do better. The light is sweet but the battery charger sucks!!!! Ok it works good and in 4 HRS but after only 3 months of use it just quit working!

[Jul 20, 2008]
    Adirondack Blues

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very bright- excellent beam pattern for helmet light. Much brighter than halogen systems and with a nice white light. Light intensity and beam on high power is similar to some HID systems. Long run time on high (4 hours). Stupid long run times on lower power settings. Well constructed and intuitive design. No expensive bulbs to replace. Appears durable. Relatively cheap!

I'm running this on a helmet mount with a Cygolite HiFlux 100 LED on the bars. Together, these two lights are awesome. The dual cross is an exceptional helmet light. The various power settings are nice for situations where high power is not needed, i.e. when climbing, during inclement weather or dusty conditions, etc.

I tried this light on the bar, and I didn't like it- the beam pattern was two narrow and seemed to have a sharp horizontal cut-off which was unnerving when going down drops, etc. Also, the bar mount kept slipping. The old-style cygolite bar mounts are better.

Great light for those looking for high performance on a budget. No need to spend $300 on a TridenX or more on HID.

Cygolite Night Explorer 25w halogen bar mount, Marwi Nightpro Elite 12w halogen helmet light.

[Mar 30, 2008]
    ERIC WHITESIDE

OVERALL
    Strength:

Sturdy, reliable, user friendly, it does what it's claimed to do! No kidding 4 hour charge time, accurate run times as advertised

Helmet mount is not standard equipment...(comes with handlebar mount, but helmet mount must be purchased separately.)

Okay...so I finally got my lights back. It only took a little over a week but I was so excited that it seemed like forever. Anyway....

The DualCross Pro's ARE brighter than the 300s. Just like the 300s though...they are underrated on the street. Don't get disappointed when they seem kind of dim while you are commuting; these lights really prove themselves when you get on the trail. The diffusers are worth the money as well. They widen the beam a bit and they also get rid of the small dim spot between the two beams in the distance. You get a nice usable swath of white light in front of you.

As for the difference between the Pro's and the 300's...it is noticeable. Not dramatic at first...but DEFINITELY brighter. I replaced both of mine at the same time so I couldn't compare them side by side but to the best of my memory from using the 300's, the brightest setting (step 4) on the 300's is roughly equal to step 2 on the Pro's. Step 4 on the Pro's is almost twice as bright as the same step on the 300's...which is exactly what Cygolite told me to expect via email. I have only gone on one trail ride with them so far, but I did notice that they were brighter and the diffusers allowed me to see more trail on the periphery of the beam.

I definitely recommend buying these, but I would strongly consider getting two (bars and helmet), the diffusers, and the helmet mount. Buying two will cost you roughly the same as getting one HID (or other high dollar unit), but with two of these you will get great trail illumination, longer bulb life, and longer run time. Additionally, the advantage of a helmet and handlebar combo is that you can see where you look AND where the bike is pointed at any given moment.

Cygolite claims bulb life of over 100,000 hours...if you do the math, that's like 11 years!!! Also, if you bail really hard, your chances of breaking an expensive HID bulb are not an issue.

Lastly...they really do charge in 4 hours and they really do run for 4 hours on high but you can extend that time by using the lower intensities when you aren't riding fast enough to need full power. Low intensity IS bright enough for climbing, step 2 is great for moderate speed technical singletrack...steps 3 and 4 are definitely sufficient for high speed singletrack at night.

Bottom line: While not as bright as an HID, the DualCross Pro's are definitely a good bright LED light for night riding. There are brighter lights out there but I feel that you get more bang for the buck with these. They are easy to setup, easy to use, and they have a great maximum run time...how many other lights can claim 18 hours on low???

NiteRider 10W Halogen, Cygolite Nitro XM

[Mar 22, 2008]
    eric whiteside

OVERALL
    Strength:

bright, battery life is accurate, quick charging, light weight

slightly narrow beam

I recently went through Cygolite to upgrade my DualCross 300s to DualCross Pros. It cost me 40 bucks for each light (I have two.) I haven't received them yet, but I posted a review earlier about my 300s...they ROCK. My only complaint, and it was a small one, was that the beam is somewhat narrow...like another reviewer said...no "flood" lighting effect. My decision to upgrade was based on two things though...the first and obvious one is that the Pros are brighter (supposedly...still waiting on mine) and the you can purchase a diffusor for the Pros for 4.95 from Cygolite. It breaks up the beam pattern into more of a flood light while not dimming the light very much. Check this link from the Cygolite site to see it. http://cygolite.com/products/new/DualCrossPro/DualCrossPro_NiMH.html

I purchased 1 with each light as well and will post as soon as I try them on a night ride with the new lights to update as to how effective they are.

I'll rate the lights a 4 in advance because I haven't got them back yet. If they are everything that the 300s were and brighter, then I'll have to give them a 5. I am eager to try out the Pros because my 300s were AWESOME.

Cygolite DualCross 300

[Dec 10, 2007]
    Arekay

OVERALL
    Strength:

Battery life, the choice of four power levels that provide flexibility in light output vs battery life, good overall light pattern.

None noted so far

Beam pattern has great coverage but if you point the light too far out the cross pattern leaves a dark space between the two beams but for myself its really not an issue. I would guess the Tridenx would cover the void with the center LED. The blue/white tint didn't seem to contrast the shadows as well as the halogen but the better overall light output more than compensates for this. Wouldn't go back to halogen now. I have not rode more than 2 hours on any one ride but the battery level indicator never budged so I assume the 4 hour life on high is still accurate. Overall great light output with long battery life. The quality and detail of the construction seems to be very good.

NiteRider Digital 15w halogen, Cateye HL500

[Nov 09, 2007]
    Joe

OVERALL
    Strength:

Quick charging, overcharge protection, bright LEDs, tool-free mounting and dismounting, light weight

LEDs cannot produce any flood lighting.

I use my light a couple of times a week and this one has been trouble-free. The battery life is excellent and the crossover beam works well and the LEDs are very bright. It would be nice if more flood was available since the LEDs produce a relatively focused light beam making a bit hard to see the details when going fast.

Nightrider Dual Beam

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.