CatEye Triple Shot Lights

CatEye Triple Shot is the brightest LED bicycle light available, and uses 3 higher power LEDs combined with Opticube technology to focus the light in front of you. It features a tough die-cast aluminum body, locking cable connectors to prevent blackouts,

[Feb 20, 2010]
DaveS

OVERALL

Need to follow-up on my earlier post:

I still don't like the Cat Eye support website, but Cat Eye SUPPORT itself is EXCELLENT! My unit is 3.5 years old and developed an intermittent problem with the power connectors so the light wasn't working reliably. I finally was able to send a one-line message via the support website and got an e-mail from them the next day. They said to send the unit back and they would look at it. I sent the lamp and battery back, but not the charger. When I got home yesterday I found a box on by doorstep with brand new lamp and battery units!

I'm normally very careful, but I will need to be extra careful not to stress the cords going to these connectors so that they don't fail again. Even though the battery has seen 3.5 years of use, I didn't detect any degradation in performance.

It looks like the connector design of the Triple Shot Pro is superior than this classic version. The Pro version also has the advantage that you don't have to remove the battery pack from your bike in order to charge it. The same connector that goes to the lamp is used to connect to the charger. Of course, the Pro version came out just after I purchased the now classic version.

The Triple Shot Pro is the way to go!

[Feb 08, 2010]
Dave S

OVERALL
Strength:

Works great for commuting, fairly rugged, good light output, reliable charger, NMH battery has held up all these years.

Unwrapping the battery pouch to charge it is a real drag, as is removing it and reinstalling it on the bike. Finally, the molded connector from the lamp to the battery is intermittent, and I don't know how to get it replaced. CatEye's support website totally sucks.

After getting over the 2 to 3 day per week inconvenience of removing the battery to charge it, then reinstall, I've been fairly happy with this lamp. Except now that one of the connectors has failed, I'm not sure how to get this repaired. This is a very unusual locking connector and I haven't been able to find anything like it from the commercial electronics supply companies.

After buying this model, CatEye came out with the TripleShot Pro, which may address some of these problems.

This is not the brightest light out there, but it's got to be in the top 3. I mostly commute, and I find that by using it during daylight hours too it helps prevent drivers from turning left in front of me.

Non-rechargeable bar-mounted headlamps.

[Jan 11, 2008]
benjamin lovett
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

great spot that reaches far
long running time much longer than the 3.3 hours on the box

no flood! no good as a solo trail light just not enough light I supplement with another light on my helmet. the total system cost as much as a single nice HID or go cheap with a Night Rider classic

Great commuter light not good enough for a solo trail light therefore to expensive for what it is

night rider classic

[Feb 25, 2006]
spiro vagenas

OVERALL
Strength:

bright light- so as to be seen; excellent allround construction

not enough light to see where you are going

I spent allot of time researching which lights I should buy. I finally decided on the cateye triple shot. In Denmark they cost an astronomical 412 dollars. I was confident that because of the company cateye, the look of the product, the price and not least the reviews that I had read of the product that this was the one. This was afterall the latest light technology on the market. That evening after charging them I tested them in my back garden. I was absolutely shocked. I just kept saying to myself that this could not be possible. There was not much more light than my 33$ 2,4watt halogen lights. I don't think I have ever been so dissapointed with anything I had ever bought before. I was extremely gratefull though to be fully refunded.

smart bl-117fh halogen; sigma sport ellipsoid

[Jan 24, 2006]
al simmons

OVERALL
Strength:

battery life, durable, bright white light, wide beam w/ a bright center, led

short battery connection cable, weak plastic mount, no helment mount

I was happy to see a led light hit the market that will allow me to go full speed on the trails. I picked this up and was happy with the bright white light output, but a bar mounted light doesn't always aim were you want to go.... On a singletrack with fast or sharp turns I will not go full speed with just this light. I added a 5 watt led light for my helment and now i can go about 85% at the local tracks. Very hsppy with the product.

I would like to note that the with the short battery cable I have too few options for mounting. Its a real chore to mount this battery pack on my superlight frame while in the dark due to weaving the strap between the cables & frame. Eventually I will extend the cable to give me another mounting option for the battery. I plan on mounting this on my helment for a try sooner or later. The trails I ride on really only require a helment mounted light.

homebrew stuff....

[Jan 18, 2006]
James Hancock

OVERALL
Strength:

Well made, Lightweight, Durable, Cateye Mount.

High UK prices (RRP £349). Having to remove battery and unwrap before charging. No dimming.

I paid £220 for this in the UK without resorting to eBay. A mate of mine bought one from the US for $249 (£145) on eBay and was stung with VAT and about £70 in duty charges thanks to UK customs. I think this light compares to a 20-25W halogen but is not as bright as the 10W HID that I also have. Nevertheless, it has proved reliable on 10 rides with no problems even after dropping it and crashing in ditch!. The spread of light is pretty good and more than adequate on pitch dark rides, eg. in the woods. However, I still can't understand the extortionate prices charged in the UK for these as Luxeon III prices are falling fast. I wouldn't recommend using this as a commuter light as it really dazzles oncoming road users and a few have sworn at me! Hence a dimmer would be useful. Halve the UK price and it gets 5 Habaneros!

Trailtech HID

[Nov 11, 2006]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Compact light head, compact battery unit. Excellent build quality, beautiful to look at. Charges very quickly.

The best part is that this light actually lasts 4 whole hours! The claimed burn time is 3.5 and the light actually lasts longer than this. It also seems to be reliable, even after a few rides in the rain. The whole unit is pretty light for what it is and it you mount it on your stem, it's pretty neat and won't get into your way.

Not a smart charger, I don't always remember to unplug it on time. If you can remember, then it's not a problem for you.

Sadly, this thing is not very bright. It's not horrible, but I have a single-bulb Blackburn X3 too which is almost as bright as the Triple Shot! I expect more light from 3 LEDs.

Also, this light is too expensive at 320 MSRP, for 200 bucks on eBay, it's an OK deal.

If you get this light, you need at least another helmet light to see properly. Do not pay full retail for it, you can get it on eBay for a lot less.

I gets dimmer after 4 hours, but it'll last 4.5 hours before really dying. Not a bad light if you like long rides. Just remember it's not the brightest light out there though.

Blackburn X3.

[Jul 29, 2006]
neal

OVERALL
Strength:

provides good light. compact size. appears to be a well designed, high quality product.

battery holder interferes somewhat with use of water bottle on downtube. removing the battery for recharge may be a bit of a hassle with all the velcro. instructions are good but hard to read (small print due to multiple languages).

i will be able to do a lot more riding at night now. downside is the additional weight. quick and easy installation.

have only used cheap generators in the past. the cateye puts out far more light.

[May 19, 2006]
Don Jaime

OVERALL
Strength:

Bulletproof. I have made prototypes with the same 3watt Luxeon emitters and they will outlast the batteries and switches and maybe the rider. They are also cheap at under $8.00 a piece.

Battery mount is not the cleanest. I would like to see a Lithium battery.

I have constructed some single 3 watt Luxeon emitter (LED) prototype lights. Running 3 of these emitters is just right for a handlebar light and Cateye is clever on the optics giving good dispersion with a strong center beam. Compared side to side with a NR Blow Torch HID it is actually quite close, giving up a little in the peripheral light, but definitely in the same ball park. On my last nightride, one guy with a Nightrider HID had his bulb blow, the other guy with a Light and Motion HID was using his light constantly and ran out of juice and it was my Triple Shot leading the parade down the final long downhill. This was an aprox 6 hour ride. Luxeon's atrong points are you can turn it on and off constantly and regulate instensity easily. HID's do not take well to constant on and off switching which decreases bulb life. The other cool thing with LED's is there is no threshold when the batteries weaken. Unlike an HID which gives you it's "rainbow warning" and sputters out, an LED just gradually gets weaker and weaker and stays efficient, so it will give you some light through the entire night. Improvements: Cateye needs to add a low light setting or two which can be done inexpensively. Next I would offer a Lithium battery for lighter weight and improve the battery mount. Still, I consider it one of the best units on the market. When price is factored, it is not even close. I have used HID lights for a long time and that is my honest opinion.

Nightrider Storm HID.

[May 15, 2006]
Ronny

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb Proof, looks great, super bright white light, nice focus plus flood, solid cabling, 3 hour charge for 4 hours of use on FULL power (only two setting, FULL POWER and OFF, thats all you need)

Battery could be lighter. a little expensive if bought from a retail store.

Better than Halogen, longer BURN time and looks super cool. Pure white light. BUY it.

Halogen 20W, dodgy $50 LED blinkers

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.