CatEye LD-500 Tail Lights

LD-500

[Jan 11, 2000]
Little Bear

OVERALL
Strength:

utilises very little battery power, bright .. it's a reflector as well, water proof (has that gasket thing)

none really, I thought that maybe the power-on button should be flushed a little more to prevent from accidentally switching it on while not in use, but then that would have made it less easier to turn it on while riding .. (say you need to do that).. maybe it could have been flatter ..

this is an absolutely brilliant piece of accessory .. I've used the same batteries since I got it & I have lost count the number of times I forgot that it was on/or accidentally turned it on .. it still flashes just as bright today .. LD250 got washed out in the rain, but this one doesn't ..

LD250

[Oct 09, 2000]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Bright, light, battery friendly, Cateye quality

there are cheaper lights, red taillight is average, not strictly legal.

Although the red version isn't the brightest it is still a good tail light but the white front lights are great. Only 3 LEDs but in flash mode they are very visible and even provide enough light to see by when it's pitch black (though I'm not recommending them as headlamps) I run two on my bars, pointing slightly outwards with a battery lamp in the centre, if you set them off in sequence the strobe effect is brilliant BUT illegal in the UK unless you strap them to your body!. However I'd rather break the law than get run over. The white light cost 18 quid but I guess the price will drop as white LEDs get cheaper.

All Kinds, Cateye battery lamps, Trek branded LED flasher, useless green LED flashers

[Sep 17, 2000]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Very bright light. Good flashing mode although in the UK only legal if you use in constant mode.

Rubbish fastening clip -day after I bought it I attached it to the LED tag on my saddle bag and went for a ride. After about an hour I turned to check on it - and it was no longer there. What a waste of money.

Good bright light but make sure its firmly attached or it will take a hike.

[Nov 12, 1998]
Tom Heisey
weekend warrior

OVERALL

The LD-500 is one of the brightest tail lights I've seen! It's rated to substitute for the rear reflector and the three LEDs really light up all those cuts in the lens. This means the light looks like one solid light, rather than three hot-spots.It is bright enough to light up a red circle 20-25 feet back! It's visible for a very long distance. The flash pattern three quick pulses and a pause. This is far more eye-catching than a simple on-off flashing.This is a solid performer and good bet for your money!

[Jul 16, 2004]
Corey

OVERALL
Strength:

Reflector and taillight in one unit. Light is very bright for flashing and constant modes.

Little difficult to change modes while riding (and know which mode you changed the light to).

Excellent, affordable solution to nighttime riding/commuting. Benefits of active and passive visibility at night with light/reflector combination. You'll definitely be seen at night when using this light.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.