CatEye HL-MC200 VIS360 Lights

Micro-halogen safety headlight offers 360 degrees of visibility to keep you safe on nighttime rides. Clear case of light captures normally wasted light and illuminates the entire lamp body, making you visible from all directions. Runs for 3 hours on 4 AA batteries. Micro-halogen lamp uses exclusive micro-bulb technology that conserves battery life while emitting a brighter beam. Easy snap-in mount can be place on or below the handlebars.

[Feb 05, 2002]
Hart

OVERALL
Strength:

light, easy, bright

breaks easily!!! i have used it on two nightrides and it broke both times. loosing the battery cover the first then the actual light the second.

good light but very weak

[Dec 26, 2001]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Powerful,durable and well mounted

A good light. Could have been cheaper. But very durable.If you do alot of night riding but dont want to pay for a night rider. It is a very good choice

[Sep 12, 2002]
Vic

OVERALL
Strength:

The brightest $20 light available ... more than adequate for a "see me" light.
Very good light pattern makes use of available light.
Acceptable (but barely) for riding in dark conditions.
Battery life is good.
Compact (makes a good backup light, and doesn't take up much handlebar space.
Over/under handlebar mount.

Case is flimsy ... so much so that battery contact with the lamp is sometimes compromised.

This is the best $20 "see me" light I have used. It is bright enough to straddle the line between "see" lights and "see me" lights.

I use it primarily as a backup light for commuting, and on bike tours, I use it as a flashlight that can double duty as a bike light in a pinch.

Suggested improvements:

1. Add the capability to use an auxiliary battery pack with D-cells. This would extend battery life dramatically, and make the light useful for lengthy night rides.

2. Add a flashing LED (like the Zefal 635 HF).

VistaLite Road Toad (POS)
Zefal 635 HF (not bad)
NiteRider Digital NiteOwl (great)

[Feb 06, 2003]
CL

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap! $15 for the combo with a tail light.
sexy looking.
bright enough for open trail riding.

clip-on cover easy to fall apart if got hit.

Great price for the light XC or city ride, don't but if you anticipate any technical droping- it will fall apart!
other than that, it's a great value and nice looking light.

[Jan 18, 2003]
Johnny

OVERALL
Strength:

Good appearance with its clear case.
a good mounting unit, is strong and frim enough.

the "so-call" 360 degrees of visibility is not real. Only 100 degree is cover with relatively stong light, the others 260 degree is only fill with some weak light ray.
Alos, parts of the head light cannot be bought separately even i wrote an email to cateye.

this light can be used only within the bright enough street to let the cars which in front of you notice your existance. this head light can't be brought to country side due to its weak light bulb.
people like me, a city rider is suit for this head light.

[Mar 27, 2002]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

I run two of these on my handle bars during 24 and 48 hour Adventure Races. With lithium batteries these lights are long burning and lightweight. I have never any problems period!

The light given by two is adequate for night riding, but just barely. Wish they were a brighter.

If you don't need a lot of light try these. Double up and you will have a good inexpensive light system. And if one fails, you still have the other.

Specialized

[Apr 05, 2002]
bigcat

OVERALL
Strength:

good price, quality contruction

Seems to work pretty well for urban area. Construction of the unit is quite nice, not a cheap POS that some other lights are. Might want to get something brighter in unlit areas obviously. Battery life is not too shabby; if you do a lot of night riding consider getting some NiMH rechargeables (cheap if you buy them in packs) so you don't go broke buying alkalines.

[Sep 23, 2002]
George
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Well, I must say it is bright. Makes a nice pocket flashlight when not on the bike. Handlebar mount accepts other, different cateye product lights (interchangable). Incredibly inexpensive ($10 w/ tailight)

The 360 degrees of light isn't a good idea when your own light is blinding you! A piece of aluminum foil held in place by tape on the top-front of the light keeps you from staring at your own bulb as you ride. Light flew apart after minor accident and I couldn't find all the parts in the forest the 2nd time it blew up. I got another one with a tail light for $10, it flew apart in my garage when I was carrying my bike and the light hit the edge of the door. Decided to ride without light that night. Latter found the bulb (it's small!) under the steps and re-assembled "Franken-Light" from the two broken ones using gaffer (duct) tape. If you wrap one layer of tape around the light after you put the batteries in it, it keeps the light together. Changing batteries is difficult; the light and reflector try to "Pop-out" and the batteries won't come out without a screwdriver or other tool to pry them out. Why did they not keep the great design they had in the old HL-500? Oh, yeah, what's the deal with the light pattern? Instead of a round beam of light, it makes a cat-head like pattern; it's distracting.

I got one of these lights for my girlfriend; works for her but she rides her bike on paved, flat paths twice a year. If you are expecting a rugged light to use on the trails, wrap a piece of tape around it where the top and bottom pieces slide together; they tend to slide apart. Then tape a piece of aluminum foil to the top if you want to keep your night vision. I am still using this set-up, although I will break down and get a 30 watt set-up soon. I like the light with my modifications, but I shouldn't have to keep looking for the bulb when I am changing the batteries... I loaned my HL-500 to my friend Matt so I could have company on my nightrides and I miss its simplicity. Be prepaired for the light to go "Sproing!!!" when you change batteries, launching the reflector, bulb and lens, so do it where you can find the parts again.

Cateye HL-500

[Aug 04, 2002]
TopJimmy

OVERALL
Strength:

inexpensive
works well for the money
2.4 watt bulb sufficent for city riding
adjustable and rotates slightly
mounts easy

Lightweight construction -may break easily
Battery door (top of unit) pops off if you don't lock down.

Good for city driving. If you find yourself riding past dusk and the city lights don't instill confidence in you, this light will let others know "Hey, I am here!"

If you want to spend less than $20 on a light, this is the one to go for. It kicks the straw out of most of the other low priced bike lights. If you need see everything in front of you, spend the money and get a more powerful light.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.