CatEye HL-EL530 Lights

This light sets a new standard in brightness for an alkaline battery lamp, producing over 1500 candlepower from a single white LED. The latest in LED design and Opticube lens technology.

[Oct 24, 2014]
Mark G

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatile tool-free mounting. Actually this is a disadvantage because then I'll use it.

Beam too narrow and not very bright. Also poor as a visibility light, as it has neither a flash mode nor low power setting, so is always draining batteries as fast as it can.

Cateye was clearing these out for $5 at Velo Swap, but I will probably throw mine away. If you can possibly afford it, get an Ixon IQ by B&M, an excellent German light (and by the way, it's an OLDER model than this Cateye.) It also runs on 4 rechargable AA's, is the same size and weight, but it floods the road with light in properly designed pattern. See Peter White's headlight beam comparison page.

Busch & Muller Ixon IQ, Cateye Uno

[Oct 31, 2013]
Dallboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Cannot think of any

Expensive, eats batteries and worst of all if you drop it it will break! The bayonet screw on bezel is not strong . After my second light I gave up with Cat Eye.

Rather spend a bit more on a quality light that is rechargeable

[Aug 25, 2011]
Richard Beck

OVERALL
Strength:

I have been using two of these EL 530 mounted on both fork blades on two machines and I love ‘em. Takes 4 AAs, lasts all night, and oncoming traffic lowers their high beams for me! My fork blade mounting brackets puts the light beams lower to illuminate objects better. The beams light up reflective road signs 300 yards ahead. Mounting them on the forks also keeps my handlebars free of clutter. These are the only lights I need for night riding on roads.

Totally satisfied.

[Apr 06, 2011]
Thuli

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice bright light, quite powerful for aa battery powered

The clip broke and now the whole thing is broken, won't turn on.

Was great until the clip came undone while riding, now it's gone, if you buy one, secure it yourself otherwise it'll be toast!

Home made lights, tiny cheap dual aa powered light

[Jan 18, 2011]
OOShabadu

OVERALL
Strength:

Very long run life, no need to recharge, just swap the batteries. Good point of focus, has good long range. I would compare it to a LED headlamp I have rated at 110 lumens. But with a longer range due to the beam focus.

Like everyone says, the strap clamp is substandard, but i have found the cure, wrap some athletic tape around your bars 3 or 4 times, then use the strap. It has stayed in place for a few months that way. It is a little bulky, but so am I, so who cares.

I will be buying another, plus an extra strap so I can swap between trail and road bikes. I'll use both and really light up the trail. I like it for straight line speed, cuz the beam really gets out there. Plus, pointing it out 40 ft casts a good shadow over the little bumps that you don't see til you're close anyway. I have a helmet light for my peripherals. It's nice to have that long burn life if you're gonna do a 24 hr race, don't have to worry about charging the battery in between laps. Bottom line, it's $40 for a decent light with excellent run life, buy 2 and a $25 headlamp from Wally World and you've got a good set-up for half the price of a decent Li-ion scenario.

Coleman Xtreme LED head lamp, Cree

[Oct 25, 2009]
Shawn

OVERALL
Strength:

Bright light in focal zone. Easy mount

TOOOOOOOOOOOO bright in focal zone. EL500 is a much better light. EL530 is way too focused. You cannot look from focal zone to edge of light without feeling like you are blind. Stay with the EL500 PLEASE.

Come on Cateye!!!! Why did you go and screw a good thing up?

Get a EL500 and not the new EL530.

El500

[Sep 06, 2009]
bikemaniac

OVERALL
Strength:

Very very bright for at battery light using AA batteries.

Contcacts, see below

I used this front light on my trike for my self contained bicycle trip around Australia (14000 km, paved roads). The light was mounted on the bike at all times by means of the supplied strap. I did not have any problems with the strap. The light IS water resistant. The light showed a problem never seen before: Due to the virbrations from the pavement, the metallic contacts inside the light would occasionally malfunction during service: During the night the light would suddently stop or start flashing. I had to stop the bike and twist the light back and forths (as for changing batteries) and this would help for a while. After a while it became so annoying that I carried the light in my panniers to reduce the road vibrations during daylight. I would not recommend this light for such a trip again - however it is very good for commuting.

[Jul 03, 2009]
PEDALman

OVERALL
Strength:

the mounting braket is asomw you can put in seconds it fits all handlebars i very power full

is too focus the beam and big

i very good for single track but not for very fast desents

schwinn and bell

[May 13, 2009]
Muddy Puddle

OVERALL
Strength:

It lights up when you switch it on.

Central beam too narrow and diffuses quickly at the edges.
3 years on and this Cateye product still has a crap handlebar mount consisting of a flimsy plastic strap that passes through a cheap screw thing which shears the thread if tightened too tight but if you don't tighten it up, enough the whole unit starts to rotate around the handlebar and you either end up illumunating the heavens or your front wheel. (Beware Cateye's rear light also have similar clamps and just as crap)

Obviously Cateye don't listen to their customers or can't be arsed to.

Luckily I found my old Cateye headlight mount (10 years old) and it fits perfectly and is so much better quality and is solid as a rock

If they sorted out the clamp, which they haven't in 3 years, this would make a reasonable lamp for commuting on roads that are poorly lit. As an off-road light I would suggest you look elsewhere. The last thing you want is to be hurtling down a dark singletrak and light decides to illuminate the 2 feet in front of your front wheel.

Cateye! Try listening to your punters once in a while and act on what is being sai

2 Flamin' Chilis due to reasonable main beam and I am sure there must be worse lights out there deserving the lowest

As I said an old Cateye front lamp model not known

[Oct 17, 2008]
Mortiss

OVERALL
Strength:

Plenty of light for the price.
Easy to mount (no tools required)
Simple design.
Uses AA Bateries
Works!

Mounting bracket is not the sturdiest and light tends to move around if bumped or on long bumpy rides.
No dim setting (but then I did buy it because I wanted more light)

Its a great light if your going to stick to tar. I have a 10 mile commute home in the dark every night that includes a 2mile downhill section with no street lighting and the light does the job. The light will move if your going to go off-road. I would suggest something smaller rugged and more compact. Even mounting 2 smaller lights (Good for 3d vision!)
I know I complained that the light will move around if you touch it but it also means that you have some on the fly adjustment. Sometimes you want the beam close in front and sometimes further ahead and with this it is easy to just thumb the light up or down or left or right)

Petzl Head torch, blacks Head torch

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.