Blackburn System X4 Lights

The Blackburn System X4 light is a superb choice for a primary light while on the roads commuting or riding, or as a second light while mountain biking. The redesigned Li-lon battery pack lasts up to 4 hours at 100% intensity and stays at the full brightness for all of it! The Blackburn System X4 can be mounted to your handlebars and is powered by a Luxeon lamp at 85 lumens.

[Sep 01, 2016]
Jack Ross

OVERALL
Strength:

Settings and ease of operation. Flashing setting is very useful

Weak brightness compared to other available lights. Recharging batteries have short life span

For the money you'll spend on this, you can do much better with other products.

Magic Shine

[Aug 27, 2012]
Sigfod

OVERALL
Strength:

Decently bright with a good beam pattern.

Battery has to be removed to charge, poorly designed strap.

This light is a much better light than the Night Rider Classic it replaces. Relatively light, with decent brightness. Lasts forever. Highly recommend this light. Oh and mine came with a spare replacement clip.

Night Rider Classic

[Jan 17, 2011]
GAnightrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Good light for most night trail riding.

If any the charger. I have X4 which may not be enough for fast track night riding.

This light worked great in all conditions for 2 years with no problems, then the charger gave out. Sent email to Easton Bell Sports and within 7 days received a new charger and up and running again.

[Apr 07, 2010]
Christopher_CK

OVERALL
Strength:

good beam

horrible customer service!!!

I've owned numerous Blackburn products (System X8, System X4, Flea) The bottome line is: DON'T BUY ANY BLACKBURN PRODUCT! The charger for this system failed in less than a year. I wrote their customer support and it took three emails to even get a response. Their response was "you can buy another charger at this website." HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

[Sep 20, 2009]
rickyg

OVERALL
Strength:

compact, lightweight, battery level indicator is useful, good light for the price

It's stopped working after one winter.

Just charged it up for the first time since last winter. It charged ok but the light is not working. Disappointed I still haven't found a lighting system that will last more than one year.

[Apr 30, 2009]
1max2nv

OVERALL
Strength:

It's very easy to use and mount on the handle bar. Very light weight and compact looking. Lifetime warranty.

Not very bright so I would atleast use a helmet light along with it.

I needed a cheap handle bar mounted light so I got this from Jenson USA for $90. It wasn't as bright as I expected but I guess you can't expect very much for $90. Lifetime warranty is nice.

Dinotte 200L.

[Nov 08, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

The light is relatively inexpensive and puts out enough light at full power to see the road / trail in complete darkness.
Mounts easily and is relatively simple to move from bike to bike if needed.
Blackburn warranty

Power of LED beam and optics could be better (compared to others currently on the market).
Cannot see charge indicator (if mounted anywhere but top tube )when in use so there really isn't any warning if battery is about to give out.

I bought this light when I was in a hurry (fading light during commuting) and on a budget. It is adequate when there is no surrounding light from streets/ cars etc, however, I would not use this on singletrack. This light will illuminate objects at a respectable distance but it isn't bright enough to make out all details until you are fairly close (and I have better that 20/20 vision at night). The bottom line is that it was the right price when I needed it. I also like of Blackburns lifetime warranty which has always been no-hassle. So if you are looking for a good commuting light for in city and on wide maintained trails, this one is adequate.

n/a

[Jul 09, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Smaller, lighter battery than the X3.

Designed by monkeys! Cheep Cheep!

History: I bought the X3, the predecessor to the X4, about two years ago, and wrote a review on MTBR. What I loved about the X3 was the separate, sturdy connector port for the charger, so you don’t have to worry about wearing out the mini pins for the headlight by constant unplugging and re-plugging. I loved the usefulness of the battery charge indicator light on the batter, which was visible on the side of the battery. I hated the large size and ugly appearance of the X3’s battery, which was designed by the Pontiac Aztec team.

Later, I learned that the X3 had another flaw. The way-too-thin bracket at the bottom of the headlight breaks after about 3000 miles of road vibration. The first time the plastic broke, Blackburn replaced it with another X3. The second time it broke, Blackburn replaced it with an X4.

I was delighted to see that the X4 now has an appropriately small, lightweight battery. But seriously, what kind of banana leaf were the designers smoking? They went backward on two key features that I had loved about the X3. If you mount the battery of the X4 below the top tube, the top tube blocks access to the battery re-charge port. So now you have to remove the battery in order to charge it, which takes time and patience due to a clumsy mounting strap that works poorly with top-mounted cables. And the indicator light has been upgraded with a retro-rocket look. Unfortunately, this fabulous new indicator light is now located directly below the top tube, so you cannot see it while you are riding. To top it off, the headlight bracket design has not improved since the X3, so I expect it to break after another 3000 miles.

Question: did the monkeys try this light before they put it out to market? Don’t pay money for this light. (For a warranty replacement, it’s not bad.)

By the way, angry commuter was not a choice, so I had to pick "weekend warrior to describe myself."

Blackburn X3. Niterider Classic. Niterider Trail Rat.

[Jan 10, 2008]
Tommy

OVERALL
Strength:

Light (not heavy)
Light (plenty of it)
Easy to mount
Fast, smart charging system
Inexpensive.

Cord is too short to put battery in pack when helmet mounted.

So far, this has been a great product. I have the light and battery mounted on my helmet, and it is not too heavy to be a burden. The charge seems to last planty of time (it's claimed to run 4 hours on 100%). It puts out enough light for how I ride at night, which is mellow. Fast riders may need a HID, but the X4 is enough for the average guy, in my opinion. I'd buy another. Plus the price is right.

Performance analog light, homemade LED light set-up

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.