Polar Edge Heart Rate Monitor

Polar Edge

[Apr 04, 2013]
George P.

OVERALL
Strength:

It's easy to use, large read out face... simple is simple... Now for those of you who had the battery c/o for $40, you can do this yourself for $4... battery #2025.... just be careful of the rubber seal... I had it for over 10yrs... paid $25 for it on close out sale

no average HR...

Good monitor for the price I paid...

[Jun 07, 1996]
Ron
weekend warrior

OVERALL

model: Edge If you're doing any sort of serious training you need one of these things. You might think you're exercising in a certain zone, but this will tell you for sure how hard you're working. Get a book to go with it-- the instructions that come with 'em don't really go into how to train with it. 2 tips: the chest strap has to be damp to work-- lick it, or spray some H20 from your bottle on it for serious types-- take your resting pulse every morning. If your resting pulse is up 5-10 over normal, you're overtrained or getting sick.

[Jan 02, 1997]
Chris White
racer

OVERALL

I just purchased the Polar Edge NV monitor and find it very helpful for training
purposes. You definately have to have the sensors wet for this to work. The book is fine for setting the HRM up but I would advise getting a training book for your target heart rate training. One thing the book leaves out is periodization. Training in cycles. I originally set my Min and Max HR too high for pre-season riding. One problem I found is that if you are too close to the TV while riding rollers the monitor won't work for beats per minute. All things considered the product performs as one would expect.

[Jan 11, 2001]
SAM Bills

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity,Functions are just what are needed-no more

sealed transmitter not allowing battery to be changed,rendering it disposable after a couple of years. No average HR

A good monitor,very reliable.the 10 minute blocks which appear on the left of the display are mega useful in that they let you know at a glance how long you've been in your preset zone.
Polar say that you should send it back for watch battery replacement,beleive me it can easily be done at a fraction of the cost yourself, buying a battery from a jewellers.
As for the transmitter strap,that has to be thrown away once it is dead as the battery cannot be replaced.But do not despair,as for the same cost as a replacement polar strap you can get a cardiosport one which works on the same frequency as polar,and has a replacable battery.

[Nov 25, 2000]
Gene

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple to use. Usually fairly accurate.

$40.00 to replace a battery!

Bottom line... sooner or later (probably within 2 years) you WILL have to replace the batteries. With a Polar unit it will cost you $40.00 for a $3.00 battery. I replaced mine twice and it is dead again. I was stupid enough to give them my money before, but now it is time to try another HRM company that designs consumer friendly products.

[Feb 16, 2000]
brett zwick

OVERALL
Strength:

large, easy to read heart rate display. adjustable range. works with Crosstrainer in the gym. audible warning when outside of target HR.

headphone cord interferes with reception between transmitter and receiver.

One of the best training investments that I have made to date. got mine at Performance for $79.

[Oct 25, 1999]
George

OVERALL
Strength:

simplicity

no average HR measurement

Very simple and effective. It does its job. I have had it for over 2 years and it hasn't skipped a beat. I wear it everyday as a watch and use it to train. The bike mount works fine for road racing, but wouldn't try it off road. A solution is the old piece of foam around the handlebar, and put the entire watch on it. The contacts definitely have to be wet for it to work, but that is a simple thing to fix. Minus one chili for the lack of an Average Heart Rate function, but other than that it works fine.

cadiosport

[Aug 31, 1999]
BOB
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Takes a liken and keeps on ticken.

The model I have does not have a light.
Must be sent in to replace battery in heart strap.

I purchased this heart rate monitor in january of 1994 and its still ticking. I have never had any problems, nor have I replaced the batteries in the watch or the heart strap.I plan on replacing just the strap when the time comes to send it in(when the battery dies). My only gripe was that this model did not originally come with a light, I believe that it now comes with the light.

None.

[Jul 12, 1999]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use, night feature

Occasionally doesn't work, especially when running

In today's world of toys, the last thing I need is a heart rate monitor with too many features & buttons. The functionality is great, and I haven't had a probelm while bike riding. However, it doesn't work sometmes when running...I'm not sure if it is because of excessive jostling or not?

[Jul 08, 1999]
Ann

OVERALL
Strength:

Does what it's supposed to do.

Not as fancy as some others.

This is a basic unit that does what it's supposed to. Nothing fancy, but it keeps track of my hr, and makes noise outside of the target zone. The bike mount looks really flimsy, I don't think I'll try it.Five stars for the hrm, minus one for the bike mount.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.