Polar Accurex Heart Rate Monitor

Polar Accurex

[Sep 28, 2015]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

I purchased the Polar Accurex II in 1991, and it is still going strong. I use it 3 times/week at least.

Not as up to date as the new ones, but it is still functioning as it was designed.

Great product! Very happy with it.

[Mar 05, 2002]
Jason Nieman

OVERALL
Strength:

Very accurate. Good features without being overly confusing.

Somewhat short battery life, but not really too bad.

I bought this thing used about 7 years ago. It has served me faithfully ever since. I have changed out batteries in the watch two or three times and in the chest monitor about four. The chest battery is really not that hard to change out, you just have to be careful and not lose any small parts. Also, Radio Shack will test your battery and say it is ok. DON'T BELIEVE THEM. These batteries don't have to wear down much before the transmitter won't reach the watch. The nice thing is it works, or it doesn't; not in between. If you don't have a HRM, you are likely working out too hard, or not hard enough. It will make you a better rider, and I can't think of a better brand than Polar, given my experience. Mine was a 5 for value, but as they are pricy, I'll give it a 4 value for most. Overall, though, this baby is a 5ver.

Cardiosport

[Oct 03, 2001]
Burgess Norrgard

OVERALL
Strength:

Downloading this watch onto my computer using the interface that is sold separately is a definite plus. Being able to see you workouts on a graph is very helpful. Also it keeps very good track of laps, and will also show these on the computer graph.

It can be inaccurate at times, giving you a heart rate you don't really have. You can't be in close contact with anyone else who has one either, it gets all messed up. Battery life is bit sporatic, I've had it last weeks but also years. It also seems to get damaged a little too easy.
It would also be nice if it had more memory, and a shorter interval of giving you your heart rate

Overall good product, because of of it's ability to download. The newer high-end ones though are even better

[Apr 05, 1999]
Leo
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Has all functions, looks great. Does not pickup interference from other transmitters around.

I bought my Polar Accurex+ a year ago, after that I had done some research about all the alternatives on the market. I don't know what problems Polar might have had earlier with the Accurex models, but with the Accurex+ they have a perfectly functioning world class heartrate monitor. I wouldn't change it for nothing less. One more thing, I can agree that the Xtrainer and Protrainer don't have that good bikecomputer functions(slow updates and so on), therefore I got the Accurex+ and I use a Sigma BC800 bikecomputer instead to get accurate readings on trips. Btw, I even got the battery replaced for free with the warranty, after 11 months! Great and fast service, atleast here in Sweden.

[Mar 31, 1998]
Larry Parker
racer

OVERALL

Polar Accurex II. I'm a marathon - long distance cyclist. I've been using the same monitor for four years (27,000+ miles)and just now the readings have become erradic when ever my HR is up over 90% MHR range. Under that it seems to be still accurate. I have friends who have had problems like others that have complained about but mine has worked great and I recommend them. As with all electronic equipment you can get a lemon.

[Aug 09, 1999]
Larry
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Features are nice if they work.

Unit will not download
also no display
poor customer service

Bought a Polar Accurex Plus for $249.00 which I use every day. After first week tried to download to computer with Polar Interface Plus (another $250.00) Monitor quits downloading when ever it reaches the first interval set. Took it back to dealer and was told that Polar does all warranty.
He did loan me another monitor and chest strap that I could use to make sure that the interfacer was working OK whick it did. Now the display is gone in less than 30 days and I have to pay another $15.00 each way to sent it to Polar for repairs. Bottom line I'm out $530.00 for a monitor that never worked add to that the fact that Polar customer service is totally rude and unhelpful.
A very poor product with useless customer service.

Polar Xtrainer

[May 11, 2000]
zelig

OVERALL
Strength:

Accurate HRM whose functions work as advertised. I've had my Accurex since 1990 and have used it daily in all conditions. As long as the batteries have power, the HRM functions. I like being able to set an upper and lower heart rate limit as well as the recovery time. My unit does not erase the information unless the timing cycle mode is started for a new series.

The lack of consumer replaceable batteries in the current transmitter and monitor (can be done but not recommended by the manufacturer). The original chest transmitter allowed for consumer replacement of the batteries but when that failed and was replaced you had to have it done by the factory.

Battery life is very uneven and this applies to both the monitor and the transmitter. The shortest period has been 9 months and the longest was over 2 years.

As you would expect, the monitor can be affected by EMF from buried power lines. However, I've never had a problem with overhead high tension wires.

I have the monitor positioned on the stem using a velcro device called the Shuper mount which I bought mail order from a place in California which had a small ad in the back of Velonews in the early '90's. It has velcro straps which take the place of the wrist strap and then wraps around the stem with another piece of velcro lined with rubber (to prevent slippage) which wraps around the stem. Its neat and simple. No big donut or that bulky plastic bar mount.

As products go, its been great despite the units' appetite for batteries. I've also gotten very good service from the Port Washington, NY service center and now in the UK have had a similarly good experience with their service center in the UK.

None as it was the only commercially available HRM at the time.

[Apr 06, 2000]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Many options

Difficult to operate, small heart rate display,

I bought the version that performance is selling and it is going right back. I just bought the new freestyle HRM and it is far superior. The Polar is too difficult to operate, and I find that the memory erases itself by the time I get back to the car and record it in the log book. Its about time that Polar got some good competition from another company. Check out the freestyle watch. Ill give it two chilies because it accurately detects my heart rate

Polar Beat, Freestyle ECG5

[Oct 18, 1999]
wolfer

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliabiltiy

COST

I have an Accurex Plus....it's work extremely well for me personally. The dog chewed up my transmitter which Polar replaced cheaper than I could have bought retail. Overall, I'm happy. The battery did quit after the first 1.5 years, simply opened it up (not what Polar wants) and replaced with Wal-Mart/EverReady replacement. No Sweat just be careful and take time.

[Jul 15, 1999]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Features are nice when they work.

Constant problems. Not picking up signal. False readings, blank display

Features are nice but quality stinks, poor customer service. I have sent this in twice. Like an earlier review I quit sending good money after bad and purchased something else.

Currently using a Freestyle

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.