Yakima Big Tow Trailer Extras

Whether an enthusiast on an extended tour, or a dedicated commuter, this gear trailer will help you bring along all you need. Strong lightweight frame includes an expandable bellows style bag that just begs to be overstuffed. Built-in fairing protects the waterproof PVC bag from road debris. Single wheel design follows your bike with precision. Crafted with Chrome-Moly steel tubing, maintenance-free sealed bearing hubs, tough alloy rim and stainless steel spokes. TowBag is custom designed to match the frame's shape with reflective trim, compression strap system to keep load tight and padded handle. Fits most bikes and is easy to attach and detach from bike.

[Jan 30, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

i have used my yak for 10 years now and i can safetly say its one of the best purchases ive ever made.its strong, lightweight,and easy to pull. mine has at least 12000 miles on it and not one problem. its been from maine to key west and back. ontario to new orleans, and many, many other rides ive taken. ive pulled it with both road and mountain bikes with just a simple change of the squeir that came with it. it takes the panniers off the bike and puts almost all your gear on the trailer. i love mine.

the only complaint i have is the avalibility of replacement parts. i was hit by a car a few years ago and had just the squeir in my wheel. it was bent beyond repair. icontacted yakima but they were not very helpful at all.no warehouse parts or replacement parts to be had. found that bob part worked ok.

to bad yakima quit making this item. from a short shopping trip to one of my 3000 mile rides,its served me well and added alot of extended life to all my bikes.anybody out there have one they want to git rid of? let me know!

[Sep 23, 2002]
David Bourgery

OVERALL
Strength:

Works well in bad weather, the fenders and the fairing keep your stuff reasonably clean. The stiffer your rear triangle the better it works. It's very useful if you want to tour with a stiff road bike. I also like to put an extra 10-20 psi in the tires for better handling when I use it. Right now I'm using it with an old road racing bike. The PVC bag is very useful for commuting, I just use it as a large duffle. The trailer has a very nice quick detach system. It tracks fairly well, and handles reasonably well. It really helps if your bike is tuned and the wheels are trued.
I got it on sale at REI, normally they are 270$.

Mine did not come with a gear bag, I bought a (BOB) gear bag at a bike store for 30 bucks. A couldn't find a store with the Yakima bag in stock, special order was 70$, too much for a PVC bag.
The tube should come with some self sealing stuff in it. It would add a little weight, but your never going to get good accel with trailer, it would not lose any real performance.

It's pretty good for commuting, and trips to the store. So far no duability issues. I'm planning some bike tours, and I think it will work ok.