Topeak Smarthead Tire Gauge Extras

This compact tire gauge has a digital read-out to precisely measure tire pressure. Smarthead valve adapter works on both Presta and Schraeder valves without changing any parts or adapters. Durable plastic housing with a rubber-like grip for comfort-- ergonomic shape provides an unobstructed view while in use. Re-set button returns the gauge back to zero for your next measurement.

[Sep 24, 2009]
azi

OVERALL
Strength:

It's small and light

Turns itself off too quickly, buttons too easy to bump, can't reset reading without turning it off and back on, hard to remove from presta valve without bashing knuckles

I concur with other reviewers - do they designers at Topeak actually ride bikes?

[Nov 07, 2008]
cabbgage

Strength:

everything, turns itself off too fast, buttons too sensitive, worst of all you can get a good reading with presta valve, and lose loads of air getting the thing off!!

Dont buy this! Waste of money.

floor pump guage

[Oct 14, 2008]
shieldwulf

OVERALL
Strength:

Large digital display.

Finicky switches, very easy to accidentally depress the switches thus resetting the display while measuring pressure.

Many! Very easy to accidentally press onto the switches while measuring. Auto power-off too fast, ridiculous. Sometimes hang upon power-on, I need to toggle the power switch again. I'm not even sure whether it is accurate as the PSI sometimes display quite differently when measuring multiple times (more than 5-10 PSI difference!). I think I need another gauge just to check whether is this gauge accurate. Totally weird.

None. But I have a floor pump with pressure gauge which I find more useful. But I bought this Smarthead Tire gauge for reason of portability.

[Jun 24, 2003]
Chris C.

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read gauge.

Not accurate. Poor chuck design. Electronic on/off too touchy.

After using this gauge for only a single day, I was totally unimpressed. I returned it for a refund the next day. It had the following problems: 1.) The electronic on/off switch was inconvenient. It was easy to accidentally turn the gauge off. Also, after every pressure reading, it was neccessary to turn the gauge off and then on again to get it to reset to 0 psi. Not a big deal, but a time-consuming pain. 2.) The gauge was inaccurate. It seemed to read about 8 psi too low. For the price, it should be accurate to +/- 0.5 psi or better. 3.) The chuck design was poor. When used with a Presta valve, it was difficult to press the chuck onto the valve stem without letting some of the air out of the tire.

The bottom line is that I could not recommend this gauge to anyone.

Zefal gauge.

[Jun 24, 2006]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Accurate, fits where I need it to, looks well made, ability to change pressure units.

In a word, frustrating. Turn the guage on and it goes through a self-check for about 3 seconds. Put it on the valve and it displays the current pressure...for a long while. Here's where the annoyance starts. If you need to let out air to get to your target pressure, you will have to shut it off and turn it on again and wait for the whole 3 seconds for the startup. You can't just place it back on the valve to see your new pressure reading. It will show you the first reading until you shut it off and restart it. Kind of like starting your computer up and waiting for all the programs to start up before you can jump on the net.

This guage is overdesigned, in a bad way. Too frustrating to use.

Sam's club digital tire guage for $10. Works just fine and not annoying to use.

[Nov 04, 2003]
charles muller

OVERALL
Strength:

neat, precise digital readout

I couldn't get it on and off the presta valve without a bunch of trouble/force. It went on with some difficulty and then it would not come off. Finally with great force and hissing of lost air it would pop off. Campmor was gracious in returning. They tried it on some bikes in the store and found some were fine and others were like my experience. the "zip-zip" change over mechanism from presta to shraeder seemed to have something to do with my difficulties. some grease on the valve stem did not help. Customer service at Topeak had no sugestions.

try it on YOUR valves before buying (or make sure you can return it easily). My "chili" ratings are medium good because it is inexpensive and potentially accurate. Just didn't work for me.

bought a zephal analog instead, seems to work, not as hi-tech though. Had an old ?prestographe? gauge that finally fell apart.

[Feb 26, 2005]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

simple to use (buttons and controls), very accurate, good for schrader valves so it will work better on your car.

Very tuff to get off of presta valves, I almost always smash my hand into something trying to get it off. Have your bike pump ready too cus if you don't get it on just right you'll lose a bit of air.

This device sure was a good idea, but in real life its not going to live up to its expectations. If you have patience and remove it from a presta valve with care its not that bad. Whats worse, a little fuss to check your tire pressure before a ride or be riding with improperly inflated tires? If the fuss will save me a possible flat or damaged rim then this product is well worth it.

[Mar 10, 2008]
Bruce Brown

OVERALL
Strength:

Works on both bikes and cars. I tried it on both my tubeless Shrader and Presta valve wheels - perfect. Tried it on my car tires - perfect. I always read the directions first - and in this product's case - I read the directions in English and in German to make sure I had everything covered. It worked exactly as described. I will say that it works much easier on Shrader valves, but I have had no troubles with Presta valves in spite of it being a tad more user focus oriented when checking Presta.

None so far.

Seems to be a very accurate measuring stick. My floor pump is too "generic" in terms of measuring the psi. I was surprised that my air was so low in my tires using the digital when compared to my floor pump which seems to have gone wacky as it measures everything at about 20 psi even if it really should be reading 40 psi. The digital Smarthead told me a clearer picture immediately on all my bike tires and my car tires.

A nice addition to my toolkit - that's for sure.

[Feb 29, 2008]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

None - its crap

Its crap.

This gague sucks. I actually have tried two, I returned one to Perfomance thinking it was broken. Nope, it worked fine, the second one sucked just as bad. The suckiness seems to be designed right into it. It will not seat, and will not read. I have tried it over and over, on different tires, and nothing. The only thing this thing does right is turn off - it turns itself off faster than any device I have ever had.

This should be sold as a tool to let the air our of your tires, because that is all it does well!!

I'd give it negative chilis if I could. What a turd.

[Apr 24, 2004]
troy

OVERALL
Strength:

actually reads tire pressure, agrees w/ my zefal, might work better on schraeder (but i have not tried)

ridiculously bad design; very hard to remove gauge from presta valve w/o hitting on/off/reset button resulting in no reading; even worse, the "smartgauge" dual head lets out way too much air on presta valves (the schraeder valve release mechanism doesn't retract far enough and engages the presta valve)

don't waste your $ on this piece of crap. there are plenty of gauges that will work better.

zefal

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.