Lizard Fork Boots Extras

Lizard Skins Fork Boots

[Mar 09, 2011]
summarex

OVERALL
Strength:

NA

NA

Dust boots ARE necessary just as air cleaners are necessary on car engines. Unfortunately the fashion slaves in the MTB world decided they didn't look good and therefore were not needed. The best boots are the old factory installed rubber ones. But if you don't have them and don't want to take your fork apart, then these stap on gizmos are the next best thing. There is nothing sexy about a naked fork.

Traditional boots

[Jun 03, 2008]
Catalin Strava

OVERALL
Strength:

Some protection for scratches when falling.

They DO NOT SEAL. Dust, sand and mud will get between boots and stanchions in the end and because permanent contact with stanchions there will be fine scratches on your precious stanchions.
The boots will remove all lubrication from stanchions.

Do not use these boots! Do not use ANY boots! If there would be a need for boots, Manitou and others would have put them in place.
These boots will scratch your stanchions with sand trapped inside. The sand and dirt are getting inside on the arch opening, no matter how well you wrap boots, even when you ride on roads!
The precious lubrication on stanchions will be removed after first hour of riding! The stanchions should be lubrified after every ride and with boots it's like you never lube.

If you are afraid of dirt getting inside you should think about special seals like Enduro Fork Seals. Manitou Evil Genius seals have double sealing rings and with proper service periods you should not worry about dirt getting inside.

Don't be afraid of basic service (cleaning only!) for your fork by manufacturer specifications, it's easy, believe me!
Enduro Fork Seals have excellent picture tutorials.

[May 11, 2008]
Darrin Wilson

OVERALL
Strength:

looks cool, protects fork tubes, keeps sand out, no more worries about scrathes on bike rack.

you actually have to read the directions when you install them. with a little triming in the right spot they fit perfect.

dont cut these to just cover the tubes! just trim the flap above the notch taken out to get them around the crown i that spot if needed. They work great and look cool if installed right. most complaints I see below did not read he directions or just plain installed them wrong. use your head, they need to be under the crown so the stay in place.

[Mar 14, 2002]
rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps the sliders and seals clean.
Keeps everything else out.

I'd prefer not to have to put them on, but after having my bushings replaced at a hideous cost, i'll give these a try to save money in the long term.

I don't know how a piece of gravel gets in these, unless the fork sliders are made of matchsticks. On my SIDs, nothing can get inside these because they are so tight on the fork.
I'd use them on all my forks, but always remember to take off when cleaning bike.

[Jan 07, 2002]
Ed Salazar

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps the dust off.

Need to keep them clean.

I started using these when my Mag 21 was the hottest thing out there. I use them now on a maintence nightmare of a SID Race. Primarily, the skins keep the summer dust and dry stuff out. They are not perfect but they come off easier than those stupid looking stock springy boots (which collect a good share of dust and trail crud inside). For the skins to be effective you need to take them off and clean them off once in a while. I give them three of the too much of my aunts authentic Mexican turds.

Stock boots

[Sep 13, 2005]
Jace

OVERALL
Strength:

They stay in position on your fork forever, as long as you don't ride or sit on your bike.

With minimal riding they slide up, exposing several inches of the stanchions. This makes having the boots on your forks pointless.
Another weakness is the price, $14 for 2 little squares of neoprene, what was I thinking!? And they are cut-to-fit so by the time I realized they blew ass I had already cut them, making it impossible to return.

Don't waste your money on this terrible product. Actually, they might work well if you have forks with a small amount of travel, but probably not. I would have to suggest buying the accordion type boots, even though they look stupid.

none, but I am sure anything else is better.

[Mar 22, 2004]
Kent

OVERALL
Strength:

Flexible, simple, easy to install, it really keep dust out of my fork tubes.

if dirt get on top of it, is hard to clean.

It does what it suppose to do. 5 falming chilis !

[Jul 26, 2001]
SPUD LEE

OVERALL
Strength:

NONE

MAKES NO SENCE, MODERN WIPERS AND REGULAR BOOTS WORK WELL.

LIZARDSKIN FORK BOOTS CONSTANTLY SCRAPE TEFLON SLIDERS, AND ANY DIRT WILL CAUSE TEFLON EROSION. THESE MAKE NO REAL SENCE.
CALL MARZOCCHI THEY WILL CONFIRM.

THE REAR SHOCK BOOTS MAKE MORE SENCE, AND FOR CHAINSTAY PROTECTOR, NOTHIN BEATS A CUT DOWN OLD TUBE WITH MATCHING ELECTRICAL TAPE.

CHEERS

[Sep 21, 2000]
Tom Cavenagh

Strength:

Didn't fit, Didn't stay put, Didn't do squat.

I bought them because my shock is bootless. They are absolute junk - don't waste your money. If I could zero chilis I would still be overrating them.

[Mar 24, 1998]
Celsete
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I really like them it helps me a lot when riding. I tried huffy 3M and all this other stuff that didn't work, until my lizard skins velcro i really enjoy it whole lot bedt thing that every happened my uncle is lance larson that owns all of the lizard skins man i she a reallly great man. Lance, if you see this, I really really really love ya man!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.