Bob Yak Plus Trailer Extras

The Yak setThe standard for all otherTrailersTo come:Tough, dependable and readyTo roll wherever life moves you. With a 70lb carrying capacity and low center of gravity,The Yak can haul almost anything you could ever need onThe longest of rides. Attaches quickly and easilyTo a bicycle's rear wheel usingThe BOB Quick Release or BOB Nutz system.Low center of gravity keepsThe weight off your bicycle frame for improved handling and performance and better aerodynamicsThan racks and panniers.TrailerTr

[Jul 14, 2003]
SGT. ROCK

OVERALL
Strength:

Well built
Easy to rig up to bike
Tracks well
Relatively quiet

Stresses bike's rear triangle

After years of hesitation, I finally bought one of these things. Why? Two reasons - to do self-contained trips with an inflatable cataraft, and to be able to carry enough gear with a full suspension bike to do camping trips with my girlfriend. Got a good deal from Performance - $230 for the trailer, $22 shipping to Canada.

Rigged the trailer up with 30kg of ballast this weekend for a test ride. First, I agree with the other reviewer about using a bike with a stiff rear end. Hooked up to my dual sus Trek, I could feel the trailer flexing the rear - and this was on the road. Offroad, I think my hardtail will be the ride of choice. Second, I'd hesitate to rely on rim brakes pulling this puppy - they feel a little frail with an extra 80 or so pounds of additional inertia.

As far as bigger rubber than the supplied 1.75 incher, it can be done as follows: Flare the edges of the fender out with pliers, then replace the hex head fender bolt with a flat head phillips bolt. This will give you enough clearance to fit a 16 x 2.25" BMX knobbie under the fender.

Happy trails!

[Feb 19, 2003]
Andy Gates

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, handles trails and crappy road surfaces easily, waterproof bag holds *lots*, attachment system is sweet and easy.

Unstable when heavily loaded and you're going very slow or very fast. You need a stiff rear triangle to really load this up.

Great trailer for light to moderate loads. If you want to haul really daft things like sofas get a two-wheeler and go slowly. This is fast and will take a good load - rathed to 32kg I'm sure I've had fifty in mine. We've used two for our shopping for over a year and they have served us well. The waterproof bag has an Ortlieb-style roll closure which has been 100% waterproof so far.

When it's empty, there's almost no effect on riding; it's well-behaved on trails/towpaths. On-road, keep the flag on for visibility.

Get your bike shop to check the wheel's trueness on delivery: both of ours had a wobble that needed to be straightened out before we could ride smoothly.

None.

[Jan 07, 2003]
Andrew Kalter

OVERALL
Strength:

Can carry alot. Goes on and off the bike easily. Tracks well. Waterproof bag.

Heavy, sharp edges on welds, bag can be hit by rear wheel on turns if it is not properly secured. Wider tire doesn't fit with the fender on and then the bag can have a hole rubbed in it.

Probably the best for off-road touring. I rode the great divide route from Canada to Mexico with it. It takes some time to learn how to pack it correctly as it makes the front wheel light. You definitely want a good handlebar bag with some weight in it for better handling. You can also strap lots of stuff on top of it. It took a lot of torture and held up. For hard off-road abuse a wider tire with less pressure makes a big difference.

[Aug 10, 2002]
Bryan

OVERALL
Strength:

excellent tracking, holds way more than posted weight limit.

front steering bracket rubs hole in the sack.

rode over 600 miles and the only thing that went wrong was the sack and the nut that holds the mud flap.

[Sep 14, 2005]
Bert CameroN

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability. It also tows(rolls)very easy. I have put 2000km on this unit since May and have absolutely no issues. My payload is approx. 22kg and the trailer is approx 6.5kg. Most touring has been through the Rocky Mountains. I found it tracks very well inspite of reviewer warnings that a wobble may appear at higher speed. It does take some time to become confortable towing at higher speed (35 - 50km/hr)

It would be nice if it had a stand to allow free standing. (I constructed my own from a plan I found on the net)

Buy one - they're great!

nil

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.