Avid Rollamajig Extras

Avid Rollamajig

[Sep 06, 2015]
William

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use but do not loose the small parts.
It took the sluggishness out of the shifting.

Plastic

They could make it out of tougher materials.

[Aug 22, 2011]
jakob

OVERALL
Strength:

simple, it works, cheap

none yet but its too early to judge durability

Unlike the original this model has tabs to stop the cable from popping off the unit which is good. This thing made a huge differance in terms of shifting action-its much lighter.Unlike trigger shifters that actualy push the cable out and have loads of leverage, thumbies are simple indexed items that mearly pull or "let go" cable therefore one really can notice the improvement in the cable friction department. Very happy. Get these if you use thumbies!

the original alloy unit

[Nov 24, 2010]
Stratocaster

Strength:

The piece that goes into the derailleur. It broke. Plastic and not strong.

The unit failed on the piece that goes into the derailleur. I can't even say that it helped the shifting. Use quality, fresh cable and housing and I doubt there will be a need for this. But I guess if I had a two-niner I wouldn't ... well you know....

Cables

[Sep 26, 2010]
gear freak

OVERALL
Strength:

if you are having sluggish shifting this may very well fix it. many years ago i built a bike for a woman installing early shimano handlebar end derailleur controls. she used a handlebar bag & i thought the best way was to route the shift cables under the tape to the stem. the shifting was bzrely ok. the following year the rollamajig came out, i installed that & it now shifts fine.

this does what they manufacturer claims, it is elegant & inexpensive. most bikes shift well, which is why i have only installed this on two bikes. if the bike shifts well, there is no point installing this.

[May 31, 2003]
HC

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap

Looks cheap, all plastic, hope it does not break

Only had it on for a few rides now. I have the new very cheap plastic one. Looks like junk but, shifting with the XT rapidfire seem to be quicker and slightly smoother. I am not sure because I made two changes at once. Added the rollamajig and shortened the cable housing between the frame and rear triangle. I have not had any problems with the device. If installed correctly, it works. I can't figure out why people are posting to put the adjuster on the back and not on the derailer where it goes. I set mine up per the directions and it works. Make sure you leave enough cable off the frame into the bake/top of the rollamajig.

N/A

[Jul 23, 2007]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

I have to say, the previous reviewer is completely uninformed about this product and about bike setup. The Rollamajig works great to reduce friction in your cable and allows the cable to be much dirtier before it needs to be cleaned or replaced or your derailler adjusted. Does the previous reviewer realize that all SRAM dereaillers are designed using a similar method as the Rollamajig and they are known as excellent shifting deraillers? Everyone I know that has used the Rollamajig has been happy with it.

None that I can see.

If you have a nagging shift problem, try the rollamajig, it could save you a lot of headaches. Not saying it can fix every problem, but it sure helps in a lot of cases. And if you ride in a lot of dirt/mud, etc. and don't like to constantly clean/replace your cables and adjust your derailler to keep your shifting perfect, this product is for you. Despite what the previous reviewer said, it is not a scam by bike shops. In fact, they are doing you a favor, as without it, you will be in much more frequently to have your shifting adjusted or cables cleaned/replaced. They are saving you money, not ripping you off.

[Mar 29, 2006]
Bernie Resch

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to install, works great, cheap

Fixed my ongoing shifting problem. I had a kink in my cablehousing I found out when I installed the Rollamajig.
Buy shortening the housing to install the Manjig, it probably offsets some of the (minimal) weight gain.

[Mar 13, 2002]
Charlie Devine

OVERALL
Strength:

Improves shifting no matter what. Gripshift, Shimano, and Rode bikes all can benifit.

New plastic model looks terribly ugly compared to old aluminum model.

My mountain bike came with gripeshifters. I tried everything. I first put a Powerspring in my rear deraileer. You see, I could completely disconect the shift cable and turn the crank and the thing would only make it to the third smallest cog on its own. That was thanks to Shimano's new Light Action Spring. Junk. Somewhere along the line a shop tried to sell me a Bassworm. They said, "everyone with gripshift uses these." Well in my case what was that going to do, push the cable at the rear derailer and acuate a shift? I don't think so. Gripshift still didn't work.

When I first say the rollamajig I thought, "what a wonderful idea." Although it didn't make the gripeshifters work, it did wonders for my shifting when I put the XT shifters on. That was the cool-looking alluminum mode (black). It worked so well that when I go a road bike I imediately ordered another one. This time red plastic. Although it looks like junk compared to the old model, It does compliment the thick red alluminum frame. Being twice as wide as the old one, It somehow goes better with the look of the wide rear hub and ultra skinny rear tire.
Get one even if your bike shifts perfectly (has Shimano shifters.) It can shift even better.

[Feb 08, 2006]
vince Raj

OVERALL
Strength:

- neet little device...I love Avid products!
- VERY fast, smooth shifting
- NO noise
- Not too hard to setup: instructions say to shift to middle chainring in front, and smallest chainring in rear, and make sure the Rollamajig is aligned with rear derailleur with correct housing length. And as long as you know how to adjust the gears, it shouldn't be too hard.

None yet

I recommend this product for those looking to improve their shifting. Match this product with Hyper premium derailleur cable/housing kit (compressionless) and you got a pretty good setup.

[Jun 04, 2007]
Bill Miller

OVERALL
Strength:

Good money maker for an LBS to add onto your bill.

Causes uncommanded shifting back and forth between two gears. Anywhere from about two to 20 times a minute. I am not kidding. VERY bad. Worse in the middle of the cassette than the large or small gears.

My fault. I agreed to a good sales act........
"it will make your shifting better"
"How so, my shifting is fine"?
It takes the slack out of the loop in the back, so it will be crisper"
"but the slack doesnt seem to cause any problem, it shifts fine"
"all the new derailuers will have one built in, it really is the way to go"
"ok, put it on"..... I had no shifting problems, but what the heck, only 25 bucks. Big mistake. Bike started uncommanded shifting from then on. After trying to let it break it, I went to a different LBS with a different mech. He immediately took it off and explained the problem with it. That "slack" has a purpose. The cable has to make a 180 degree turn from the front of the bike into the derailuer. That slack is there to prevent putting a kink in the cable. Which is what the rollamajig does. It wraps your cable around the rollamajig in about the same radius that you would have it if you wrapped your cable around your handlebars....not the proper way to rig a cable. That kink changes the cable from a straight pull tension device into a bending moment loaded spring. Depending on where your gears are ....and cable kink....it will change the load on the cable pull and start shifting on its own. Lots of stellar reviews, with a few reviews that had my problem. I suspect the rollamajig is a useless add on that has lots of psychological value if it doesnt noticably harm your shifting. Obviously terrible functional value if it does harm your shifting. Think about it....you are bending a metal push/pull cable 180 degrees in about the diameter of a dime. Like one reviewer said, if you have shifting problems, remove the rollamajig first. Good luck.

N/A

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.