Vetta V100 Computer

Vetta V100 computer has the following features: Temperature, Current, Average, Maximum Speed. Speed Comparator, Cumulative Odometer, Intermediate & Trip Distance.

[Nov 02, 2011]
Samantha

OVERALL

The V100HR WL2X combines the functions of a cycling computer with the HR features in a fitness monitor. It offers 21 functions including Vettas exclusive special features Timer, Dual Bike Memory, multiple Freeze Frame Memory. This is triple wireless with speed, cadence and the heart rate.

[Jul 12, 2003]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Clear displays, fairly intuitive controls, wireless kit , can convert wired kit to wireless .

Speed transmitter failed at 3 months. The transmitter case uses plastic loops that can break when the plastic tie-wraps are pulled tight, esp on front forks that are slightly bladed. I broke one of the loops on mine but I found that a pair of long tie-wraps will also hold the transmitter and latch on to the grooves in the case.

I had some problems with the speed transmitter pickup but now that the transmitter is completely dead perhaps it was never really working? I am waiting to see if Vetta will replace the transmitter before I give up. In contrast the cadence transmitter is further away and has never failed.

This could potentially be a HOT computer. I want the wireless because it makes for a VERY clean speed/cadence setup.

I think if I bought it today I would get the one with altimeter V100A instead of the plain V100.

The design of the atachment points of the wireless transmitters is poor but if you don't pull too tight on the tie-wraps you should be OK.

I think I got a bad speed transmitter and as long as Vetta replaces it proper I think this is an good product.

Topeak Panorama wireless , various Cateye.

[Jun 14, 2003]
Larry

OVERALL

I'm using the cordless version with cadence. Right now it's setup on a road bike, and it works great. Also train with a Polar HRM, and find all these wireless transmissions don't interfere with each other. My first V100 was defective as it would spontaneously reset itself or blank out and lock up. Bikeworld promptly sent me a new unit, and it's worked great over several weeks now - not one glitch. Just hope it stands the test of time, and keeps working over the years. It's real nice not having wires running around your frame. Can't think of any significant negatives. Bikeworld was great to deal with. They price matched another vendor and sent the item quickly.

The V100 has a great set of features, and it's pretty easy to operate once you use it a couple of times. I believe it's the only dedicated cycle computer that offers both wireless speed and cadence (some Polar HRM models also offer this feature).

[May 22, 2003]
Yas Katagiri

OVERALL
Strength:

Great displays, lots of functionality, easy to read, great manual, looks cool!

I ride an upright mountain bike and a recumbent. I have the V100 wireless version w/cadence. The Cadence never worked on my upright because the transmitter was about 5" too far from the receiver so even though I spent extra cash on the thing, I had to by a seperate wire mount...$20. The speed and the cadence didn't work on the recumbent at all because the signal was too week if I mounted the head unit on the handlebar. So I had to jerry-rig a cross bar lower on the handlebar to bring the receiver and transmitter closer. A little inconvenient since it became harder to read because it wasn't on the handlebar anymore and sometimes it would rub up against my leg...but at least all the functions worked. Then, one day during the downpour something happened and now the speedo give totally inaccurate readings. My assumption is that some water got into the transmitter. So I have given up on the wireless and am in the process of spending another $20 plus shipping on another wire mount but it has to be the extra long one since a standard mount will not extend enough for a recumbent cycle.

All in all the head unit itself is great but the wireless is pretty much useless. Don't waste your money on the wireless and stick with the wire mounts. You'd think if we could put men and women in space, we could build wireless transmitters that are strong enough to work on a little bike! Go figure.

Great head unit. Worthless wireless mount. Don't waste your money on the wireless...stick with the wire mounts.

I give it 2 flamin' chilis for value since I thought it was pretty expensive for such an unreliable wireless mount. 3 for overall rating since I like the head unit.

Trek

[Jan 07, 2007]
Tomgb

OVERALL
Strength:

This is the simplest, most straightforward, and only wireless bike computer I've ever used. I have the version with Cadence and HR. The HR has become a crutch to me, and the next one I buy will definitely have this feature. Set-up is easy on a roadbike and the sensors stay in place pretty well. Vetta's three year warranty is great and necessary.

RELIABILITY and BATTERY LIFE!!! I've used this for 3+ years and Vetta replaced everything for a double-bike set-up over the summer 2006. That is two receivers, two sets of sensors, and HR strap, all under warranty. The new HR strap came out of the box with a leaky battry and non-functional. This was the second time around for this stuff, having already been replaced in 2004. Battery life on Alkaline Energisers and Duracells varies widely runs from horrible to marginal. Horrible is about two weeks, marginal is about 3 months. The only "battery indicator" I've seen is that the speed/cadence/HR stops working or gets erratic. Oh, and Warranty replacement took 5 weeks the latest time.

Buy it, use it, enjoy it, and be prepared to replace batteries often and be without it for unknown periods. The 3-year warranty was extended from 1 year by Vetta in 2004 for obvious reasons and there are still some bugs present. My seemingly off kilter value rating is based on the 3-year warranty as I have never had a wired one last more than 2 seasons.

Cateye Mini (~1987-ish), Cateye Solar w/cadence, Vetta RT-88, Sigma something with cadence.

[Dec 19, 2006]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Very visible, easy to install, lots of capabilities, wireless. this is for the V100A.

slightly difficult to calibrate, but once you get used how to it is no problem

Great computer, performing better than expected. Altimeter is a fun feature as well as the temperature gauge. I feel like a got a great deal. Everywhere I looked it was retailing for $139.00. beyond bikes had it for $89. and came out to $100. with shipping.

NA- looked at cateye,sigma, and others

[Jan 21, 2006]
Nathaniel

OVERALL
Strength:

When working, everything is great. Very accurate distance!! A lot of features. A great computer.

Have had to get it replaced, 1 week later it does not pick up speed. Back to REI...I'll try replacing the battery. Really annoying. They need to improve the efficiancy of it. Burns a battery in just a few days.

Well, good computer when working. I would not recommend this b/c of short battery time. Oh well, I'll give it a few more chances before I trade it under warrinty for somthing else.

Old Trek computer, Bell. This is my first "nice" computer.

[Feb 16, 2004]
Malcom Moody

OVERALL
Strength:

NOTE This review is for the wireless speed/cadence model.
Totally wireless, heaps of functions

If you have zero'd its timers and start to ride, the comp will auto start from wheel rotation - good.
When you ride off and then pause for a while it will go to sleep - good.
When you take off again, it will not wake itself up!!! BAD
To wake it up, you have to remember to push a button to manually kick it off which of course you don't think to do until your miles down the road and glance down at your non-existent speed.
While its asleep it does not continue to accumulate data such as distance etc so when you do wake it up you've lost heaps of data. - VERY BAD

Small text around the outside of the display is rather hard to read as its very close to the bezel edge.

In concept its a great computer but its totally let down by this one problem.
How stupid that it can start from a wireless trigger (front wheel) but can not re-awaken itself via wireless (the wired versions are ok) input.
I always forget to stab a button to wake it up so I loose heaps of data before I look down and remember (and curse).
Only takes a couple of minutes to go to sleep so this happens all too easily.
Rather sorry I bought it. I'll be buying the new Mavic to replace this joke computer.
Only 2 flamin' turds as what point is there in having the extra weight of a computer that isn't recording anything.

Shimano Flightdeck, Cateye Astrale, Enduro, Mity 3, Velo 5, Vetta C5, Echo F2

[Oct 29, 2003]
tracy

OVERALL
Strength:

wireless, durable, big display, big buttons, thermometer.

over 16 months now and the batteries are still going.

bike I and bike II, i flip back and forth for mountain miles and road miles.

do any computers light up ? i wish this one did.

my first computer, but i can tell it's a good one.

i don't stress about replacing a 2-cent zip tie, most bike shops will give you one for free. 16 months of hard riding and only 2 have broken, one on the handlebar and one on the fork.

no adjustments have been needed for this wireless V100 model.

i accidentally washed the head unit at the laundromat the other day, in one of those front-loaders. i know it got roughed up because the previous day's data was reset, and the new timer had reached 7 mins. those of us who own these units know that the flat button on the face needs to be pressed for 2 or 3 seconds in order to reset the timers, and pressed again to start a new one.

tip: when you snap the unit off the handlebars, do it over grass until you get used to it, because it will squirt through your hands to the pavement below.

[Sep 19, 2003]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a review for the cordless V100HR. This is a pretty sweet piece of equipment, if you ask me. As far as the cyclocomputer functions go, it's great. You've got your current speed, trip distance, average speed, max speed, and odometer. Plus two tire sizes, so you can use it on two bikes (which I do - I have the wireless mount kit that came with it on my mountain bike, and I bought an extra long wired kit so I could mount it on my road bike and be able to use it on my trainer. It will keep separate odometers for each bike, too, which is cool). It also has an optional tune-up timer, which I guess is a neat feature for someone who might need a reminder for when to service your fork or something - I was too lazy to set it up, though, personally :-).

With the addition of the heart rate monitor features, this thing is awesome - I don't have an awkward watch HRM cluttering up my handlebars anymore. And the HRM features are great - current HR and percent of max HR while riding, or at any time you can freeze the computer so you can look at time in and out of (above and below) your zone, as well as avg. and max HR for the ride (you can do this at the end of your ride, too, which is what I have been doing to review the info afterwards).

Both the batteries in the head unit and the transmitter are user replacable, which is a bonus over many of the Polar HRM's with similar features, from what I've heard. It's also cadence compatible - so if I ever want to do that, all I have to do is by the cadence kit. The wireless kit has been working pretty well out on the trail, too - this is my first computer that is wireless, and I wasn't too sure how it would perform off road, but it's doing quite well.

The only thing resembling a weakness that I've been able to find is that the handlbar mount is secured to the bar only with a kind of rubberized adapter and zip ties. Yeah, it's secure, and yeah, it doesn't require any shims to fit yer bars (like my old specialized comp did), but if I get a new bike or new handlebars or something, I'm gonna have to get some new zip ties. Which I guess isn't that big a deal, but still, it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

This is a sweet computer - computer plus HRM functions all in one. Coupled with the deal I got it for on eBay (NIB), It gets straight 5 chilis from me!

Specialized Comp classic.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.