VDO C3DS Computer

The C3DS overcame seven other wireless computers in the price range of 35 to 70 Euros. Top scores (5 stars) for functional versatility and usefulness. Menu is logical and easy-to-navigate, distinct large display and easy mounting.

[Oct 09, 2011]
Ginzo

Strength:

Slow response, did not work on back wheel as advertised, not accuate compared to wired unit off by 2/10. Even on front wheel the response was slow. Bad purchase...will return

I purchased the wireless unit to install on rear wheel for winter training as stated. However, the transmitter must be within 23 inches of computer, which makes rear wheel mounting impossible. Also magnet placement way to touchy, slight movement and unit stops working. Mounted on front wheel side by side with Sigma and response to speed change was very slow and inaccuate. Compared with two different wired units.

Sigma wired.

[Sep 12, 2011]
lodya

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read display. Nice feature set.

Multiple problems from day 1.

I bought this on sale thinking I was getting a great deal on a wireless computer. The clip for the spoke magnet broke on installation. I contacted VDO and they sent me a couple of new magnets. Once mounted, the unit only worked intermittently; then it stopped working altogether. I replaced the battery and reset the computer - no luck. I contacted VDO with this issue but they have not responded. I will stay away from VDO products in future.

Cateye Enduro

[Mar 02, 2011]
Robert Broberg

OVERALL

This is a great computer. Thus far, have had none of the problems other owners have described. An advantage is that the sensor can also be put on the rear wheel. I'm happy with it as I paid a fraction of retail ($23 vs $89), it is well constructed, good looking, has nice features including a navigator mode, and is easy to set up. Just ordered -- from Nashbar --the cadence kit for $10 instead of the $40 retail price.

Also have a VDO C2 ds that seems to work fine.

[Oct 19, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Wide range of functions, automatic start-stop, dual bike capability. Its the same easily-available and inexpensive batteries for the pickups and the head unit.

I have C3DS computers on two bikes. They started to lose signals from cadence and wheel sensors. Replacing the batteries and swapping the units from bike to bike helped for a short while, but not long. I could never get the mileage to read correctly or even correspond to a second (different brand) computer on the tandem or on a second solo bike.

The orientation of the head unit on the handle bar is very, very sensitive - I guess it can't handle much variation in signal strength or direction from the pickups.

According to the user guide, you have to send the unit back to Germany for any warranty repair.

Given VDO's reputation in other areas of electronics and instrumentation, I expected a reliable and accurate product.

This was a disappointing waste of money and a time-wasting experience.

Older Performance CM300's - no longer manufactured and several years old, but very reliable and accurate.

[Sep 12, 2009]
Yan Duval

OVERALL
Strength:

Great features when it works. LED is a good idea on sensors.

Various problems. I had my first one a few years ago. Worked pretty well so bought a second kit for my wife. Frequent need to change batteries. My computer started to fail after 2 years. After a year, my speed sensor developped an habit of failing to work below 15C. My wife's computer was never able to calculate trip distance correctly.

The general design is good, but there are quality problems plaguing the product. In the end, I spent so much time messing with batteries, positionning and all that requested warranty repair at MEC. They were kind enough to reimburse the whole thing.

Cateye Mity: More than 10 years of flawless performance.

[Apr 27, 2009]
peter

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple menu. easy setup

one quit after 2 weeks. Spotty signal acquisiton. couldn't get cadence to work regularly.

The good: Mine works great! Setup and programming was very easy. I like the straightforward and simple menu. No complicated button combinations to remember. The menus are all easy to find and figure out. I did not set up cadence on my bike (never use it).

The bad: My wife's quit working after 2 weeks. Couldn't get a regular signal, cadence was spotty, etc. New battery didn't help. Electronic devices have a habit of not working when my wife handles them, but in this instance i believe it's not her fault. Exact same problems many others described.

Wondering if the cadence combo screws it up. Anyone else besides me hook up the computer only?

Cateye, Sigma

[Jan 19, 2009]
crikki

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to read

doesn't work worth beans!
will work for awhile then quits!
i replaced all batteries too
not worth the money

do not waste your money!

how about coming up with some black chili's for negative reviews?

garmin 301

[Jul 30, 2008]
Jeff B

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to navigate. Easy to set up, if you read the instructions.

Cadence is spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it pretends to work but is giving info that can't be right (cadence of 20 when I'm doing something closer to 100)

The computer has only ever given me problems when the batteries were dying. Once I replaced the batteries, it worked great again. I've never had any problems getting the wireless to work.

Cateye

[May 11, 2008]
Drummer

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple and logical menus, nice keys, strong casing.

Signal range about 10". Doesn't work when mounted on the bars.

It doesn't work. Changed all the batteries, moved the sensors and the computer itself all over the bike, nothing helps. Optimistic as I am, I also bought a cadence sensor and a complete "second bike" kit with sensors & mounts. Total cost 250 US$. Total waiste.

VDO C2 & C3 wired.

[Jul 16, 2007]
Harold

Strength:

hard to say when the product doesn't work.

Purchased this when I was building up the Look frame because I wanted something with cadence. I'd seen other VDO's reviews and they seemed to get fair/good ratings. I tried several times to get this thing to register with no luck. I've replaced batteries and that didn't help either. I've sent manufacturer several e-mails with no response. This has got to be the worst product I've ever used, and adding to the insult is the manufacturer complete lack of support. Spend your money on something else that works. I only wish MBR would allow me to give it negative Chili's.

Sigma, Cateye, Specialized

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.