Trek RADAR Wireless Computer

Trek RADAR Wireless

[Jul 05, 2003]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Temperature - nobody else has temperature
Easy to install
Easy to read

Temperature gage is unreliable in the sun - worse than the old wired Radar

Knowing how hot it was has saved my $#! in Moab and Fruita on several occasions, as we were riding epic rides and starting to run short of water. Knowing the temperature made me turn back a couple times, and proceed a couple times. I hated to turn back, but its better than the alternative. I don't know why more computer makers don't put temp into the computers - its fairly cheap to do.

The new wireless Radar isn't as good as the old wired one that I had for three years - its harder to read, navigate, and in the sun the temperature is about 10 degrees higher than the old computer (I did a side by side test on a 95 degree day). It also does freeze up too often. For those that have had trouble with the new Radars, don't dispair, they are redesigning the Radar an it will be out this fall. I sure hope it is dependable this time around, or I will have to go back to a [email protected]##[email protected]! Cateyes!

Also, the Radar has features you don't need on a computer, like the ability to move it between two bikes. What a waste! And the readout is much more confusing on the new Radar compared to the old Radar. Keep it simple and cheap...

Old Radar wired computer

[Feb 10, 2002]
Jafah Jahromi

OVERALL
Strength:

Generates power for you cell phone & other devices while you cycle. Looks great, well designed handle bar mounted universal phone holder, charger unit neat, light & removable.

Not widely available on the high street yet, but I suspect this will change. Dynamo driven, works well with my own hub type dynamo.

Wonderful idea really & I ask myself why wasn't this thought of before now. Great eco-friendly product & lets face it, we all have cell phones now days. I cycle to work daily & always plug in my phone to top-up the battery. I feel I'm getting something for nothing, probably saving a few pennies per year also. I have recommended this many time to people & they all tell me afterwards, they love it. It is possible to re-charge almost any other low powered device as long as you can get a car-cigar charger lead to suit the device you want to charge.

None, this is a first

[Aug 22, 2002]
Peter

OVERALL
Strength:

very good & functional design; fantastic features e.g. training window, temperature indicator

started to become unreliable after 1 year; starting to late; stops during ride; complete failure after 2,5 years

its a shame that such a well designed computer becomes so unreliable after 1 year!

cicle computer from ciclosport for 9 years (big but 100% reliable; long battery life)

[Aug 19, 2000]
adrian

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read, easy to mount.

Came off more than once in endos,18 bucks to replace holder,once dropped the computer and now sometime works and sometims doesn't, loses all info and is pain to to keep pushing the button to start it again....

Good for free but buy something else.

Gary fisher Axiom- wire always broke on 3 rides, relpace 4 times and then threatened Trek for money back and they sent wireless to me so I woudn't buy Nashbar wireless.

[Jan 21, 2000]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

I like the temp and time always on. The obvious: No wire to break.

Damn thing won't auto-start! I have to remember everytime I've stopped for more than a couple of minutes. The problem may not be as bad for not aflicted with C.R.S. (can't remember shit). Who ever is building these thing better get with the program and make these auto-start!

This is the only item on my bike I both hate and love. Does everything it's supposed to, it just won't start when I start, unless I happen to remember to push the #@*&%@# button!

Wired ones only.

[Sep 16, 1999]
Jake

OVERALL
Strength:

Everyething except it dosent work

Battery prongs, goes out, piece of crap

WHAT A POS! It worked fine for a month and the prongs go out. It fell off the mount, I replaced the battery and the POS didnt work! Don't but it, the cateye is way way better

Cateye Wireless 2? Trek Radar

[Aug 24, 1999]
STEVE

OVERALL
Strength:

4 ITEM DISPLAY, TEMP,CLOCK, WIRELESS

SITS TOO HIGH ON HANDLEBAR,NO BACKLIGHT

THIS COMPUTER IS ALMOST PERFECT. IT NEEDS AN OFFSET MOUNT, BACKLIGHT, LOW PROFILE DESIGN. i LOVE THE WORKOUT WINDOW AND TEMP AND TIME DISPLAYED AT ALL TIMES.

WIRED VETTA & SPECIALIZED

[Aug 22, 1999]
cullan

OVERALL
Strength:

temp is it

everything else won't start
bad wireless design phases out
temp is eratic
speed won't start right away

It sucks really bad and it doesn't do what the manual and box says it does
manual is vague on sensor placement. When mine broke the shop gave me the gary fisher one and it still didn't work right I like trek but they need to work the bugs out.

cateye enduro
gary fisher wireless same thing it still sucks

[Jun 18, 1999]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

Wireless
Workout window
Looks
Temperature

Magnet mounting

Well my friend with a y-3 got the wire one so i got this one.All my other computers were ripped at the wire so i went wireless. IN my 4th race of the season the magnet came loose and was bumped out of position so i couldn't record. But the temp helps alot and the only other possible thing you could want is an altimeter but those cost 90 bucks.

Cheapo from target
Avocet 45tt

[Jul 31, 1999]
Air-Knight

OVERALL
Strength:

No messy wiring.
Workout window.
Thermometer feature.

Too DAMN big!
No auto-on.

I knew I'm gonna get this super computer when I first saw it. And I got it from Bert's for $60. I didnt know it was so huge 'till I actually install it on my bike. The size made me worried 'bout the computer falling off my bike first, but now I think it's okay. Another draw-back of the wireless is that the computer wont start itself when I start riding. I have to push a button to start it, little inconvinence. But other than that, it's a great accessory if your budget allows it. If you are short on cash, a trek sensor is a much better choice. Trek Sensor offer some very close function (except the thermometer, workout window, and speed increment by 0.5mi) at a much much lower price.

Cheap-ass computer from K-mart.
Trek Sensor.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.