Sigma Sport Sport BC 800 Computer

BC 800

[Jul 19, 2011]
djape48

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to mount, very good sensor (wired unit), resistant (occasional rain and few drops to ground) and reliable

none after 6 years

I can't believe those tards saying "this product sucks". It was very easy to mount and stayed mounted for many years (rubber straps so what?!). Sensor is good, detects every pass of a magnet regardless of bumps or anything. Battery lasts for aprox. 3 years (every day usage except during winter). I found this product to be awesome quality for the money, I'm not sure if you can still buy a new one (it's old model) but I just wanted to share my good experience with Sigma BC 800

Sigma BC 1200

[Jan 15, 2011]
gpz1170

OVERALL
Strength:

Doesn't suck nearly as bad as having cancer, but close.

Held together with rubber bands.

sensor that attaches to the fork does't have enough adjustment to pick up the sensor on the wheel.

General overall bad design.

I picked this up new at a local swap meet for $7. With that money I could have bought Chinese food for lunch and got explosive diaherra which would have been less frustrating that trying to get this junk to work.

Never buying Sigma product again!

I gave the "value rating" and "overall rating" a 1 because -10 was not an option.

[Jul 13, 2003]
Tongue

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple to instal, Customer Support, Size, easy to read and figure out, double sided tape on mount and sensor. Haven't had any problems with the wire even after bushes and crash.

O-ring for front fork is a little small. Broke the first one in a week (stretched it too much). Went back to the place i bought it and they gave me a couple free of charge. Needs larger o-ring to compensate for front shocks.

Good product bought because it was inexpensive and had all of the functions I wanted for a bike Computer. No problems with autostart or stop. Computer stays on a little bit longer than I want it to after I get done riding, but no big deal. Then button to change the functions also pushes a little bit harder than I like. I would recommend it to anyone who has never bought a computer and would like something that is simple to instal and use.

[Jun 05, 2003]
Almoe

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity compared to other computers. Value. Good basic info for the money. Have had no real problems with the rubber band straps - easy to remove base/fork unit for cleaning.

Would recommend only for Roadies. I wouldn't put it on my mtn bike. Sensor can pop loose at times.

Decent basic unit with few problems. Great value for the money. Don't have to pull out the manual too often. Over 4k miles on it and still ticking.

Vetta wireless that died in 2 weeks, Cateye.

[Jan 16, 2002]
dave winter

OVERALL
Strength:

I had the wired version first and i hated it, all those loose wires mad me very nervous. Now I have the upgraded wired version and I love it, it is small, light, easy to set up and very easy to understand.

Wouldn't buy the wired version, wires a weak and will break.

If u spend that little extra on the wireless, a flawless product.

[Dec 08, 2006]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy Set Up, Simple to Use

Rubber bands! Unrealiable

Piece of *^$#! Don't waste your time. Completely unreliable sensor. Many times i would hit a tiny bump and would have to stop to readjust the sensor. It just decided to stop working on me after a few weeks of use. Also, the rubber bands are ridiculous. I had one snap on me a day after i put it on. You get what you pay for don't bother with this thing.

Cat Eye, Vetta

[Jan 14, 2002]
William Brave

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read
No wires to break
Price

Very difficult to find the accurate spot around the fork for the sensor
The rubber strip that supports the sensor breaks easily under the strain of the wide forks of mountain bikes (one month in my case) and was told by the dealer that that particular issue wasn't covered by the guarantee.
Do the factory mounts uncharged batteries? When riding with cool weather (0ºC or so) on shadowy hills it doesn't work (it displays crazy speed or no speed)???

Good price for a product that could be great solutioning a couple of little problems like unsecure instalation of the sensor and the 2nd hand batteries that it seems to bring from factory

Cateye miti 2

[Sep 13, 2002]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast install (20 min), Easy set-up and program, Wireless, Removes from base easily. Auto start and stop works perfect. Very accurate, and easy to read display.

I was a bit nervous about the tie wraps for the receiver base mount, and thought I would at the very least have to replace with a set having a metal pawl. I haven't needed to yet.

The rubber band mount design for the sender is shameful.

I used this installation technique for the initial set-up, and then secured it properly with two 5/16" wide nylon tie wraps with metal pawls. Seemed to do the trick, it no longer moves or vibrates. I do plan a more serious fix this winter.

Excellent product.

I really put it through some wicked rooted and rocky downhill trails in northern WI, and it never skipped a beat. Its a hard tail bike, so this unit can take a real pounding without failing (so far).

I have the distance from the magnet to the sender at about 3/16" with no problems. Sometimes the base slides about the bars while re-installing the computer (those darn tie wraps!), but it continues to work fine, so its not very fussy on mounting position.

Bottom line: I am very pleased with it so far, and would buy it again. Just note the mounting issues and simple fix.

None.

[Mar 17, 2003]
Alden

OVERALL
Strength:

I have several of the BC800's and Targas on my bikes. I have had a water logged problem after getting poured on while touring. The computer did condensate. Had a few problems with the wireless set up too, but all of these problems were easily and quickly fixed by Sigma's customer service dept. They have awesome support and stand by their products. I got rid of my very expensive Flight deck cuz I could not stand it stopping all the calculations if you bumped the button on the shifter. The mounting systems is great! MTB will have problems with the rubber band type straps but for roadie's this is super!

Like any computer, these too will have a few problems.

You will not find any better customer service in this industry than Sigma! Look for the new RDS wireless coming out - very cool! If you can find it on sale all the better. Found the wireless set-up at Performance for $12.99. A while back Performance had the RCS wireless set-up and BC800 for $27.99 - what a deal!

Avocet, Flight Deck, Cateye, Trek, Axiom, & Vetta.

[Jan 06, 2004]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, no tools required for installation!!! Easy to use and set up. Can mount on stem to save space on handlebars (screwdriver required). Lightweight magnet, great for road racing.

Magnet can rotate on spokes when you brush against it. I replaced magnet with one that is held in place by a screw. No average speed.

Easy to set up and use! Holds up well, several rides/races in mud/light rain/snow with no problems. Computer twists off instead of pushing straight on, so much less chance of accidentally bumping it loose (lost my Vetta this way). On carbon fiber road bike forks it can be tough to fit sensor and magnet between fork and spokes -- buy a rear-wheel cyclometer instead or use wireless kit. *** TIP - on mtb forks you need to use two of the mounting bands to hold it on.

cateye, avocet, vetta

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.