Sette Alpha X 17 Computer

• Calorie Consumption

[Nov 01, 2017]
phillman5

OVERALL
Strength:

back when the price was under $40, this unit was a very good deal. Wireless! and cadenance. I usually have it show cadenance, speed and time of day. I liked this unit so much I got a second one for my other bike.

cheaply built. No problem with electronics, but the unit (after 6 years) is loose in its holder and easily falls out, the battery door on the transmitter I have to tape shut as the tabs to hold in in place wore or broke off.

I think the litespeed rider that gave this unit a poor review didn't know how to adjust the arm that swings out to sense the wheel magnet. You can mount the transmitter up and down the left stay, figure out were to put the magnet on the crank arm, and then loosen the screw holding the wheel sensor arm and swing it out until the arm is near wheel/spoke magnet (which you might need to slide up and down the spoke). Then tighten up the screw. With all these adjustments I don't see how it wouldn't work on an aero TT bike.

Several from Cateye and others. This is best/price unit I've seen.

[Dec 26, 2011]
Litespeedrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Ok for price.

Not good for aerobike frames. Sensor mounts too close to wheel spokes making it necessary to mount further back on chainstay. If this is describes your bike, it renders the candence sensor useless since that installs on the crankarm.

Ok product but not for every frame.

[Sep 01, 2011]
Big John

OVERALL
Strength:

Works exactly as advertised, and works well. Easy installation and setup, accurate speed and cadence, no interference seen (at least none yet).

Display was dim out of the box - could be because the battery it came with is old - I haven't tried replacing the battery to find out, it's not (yet) so dim that I can't read it.

If you want wireless speed and cadence, and don't need extras such as offered by the high-end Sigma ROX or Garmin units, this is the computer for you. Priced right, and works well.

Serfas 3.3 (which is junk in comparison to the Sette Alpha X 17), Sigma ROX 9.0(definitely better than the Sette, but also costs about 5x as much)

[Sep 16, 2010]
woj

OVERALL
Strength:

Works as advertised. Good stem mount. No problems what-so-ever.

I don't have a lot of experience with cycle computers, as I've only used three in my riding experience. Both Sette FX-3 & Alpha X have worked for me as advertised & no problems. I'm of the mindset that I would rather spend money on my bike rather than a computer. So if you're looking for a basic computer that has speed & cadence, looks good, very readable display, easy to work (& remember how to work it), you can get this computer for about half the price of others.

Sette FX-3, Trek Incite 6i