Planet Bike Protege 8.0 Computer

Planet Bike 8.0 Protege Computer features a four-line, easy-to-read macromonitor LCD display provides upTo five pieces of data at a glance. Mode changing is easy: pushThe computer forward inThe spring loaded bracket andThe computer isThe button. Auto start/stop and LCD shut off Heavy-duty, oversized wire harness and ultrasonically welded case ensure a durable, weatherproof unit Fits handlebars 25.4-26.0mm Current speed Speed comparator RideTimeTrip distance Dual odometer (for 2 wheel sizes) Aver

[May 17, 2008]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

None as I never got the chance to use it. No buttons seemed like a good design.

The tiny rubber program buttons on the underside started sticking rendering it impossible to program correctly. Their FAQs state to use a paper clip to free them up. Didn't work.

Waste of time.

Cateye

[Sep 06, 2003]
J

OVERALL
Strength:

displays 4 lines at one time, several modes

reset switch is overactive

Worked great for about 1 month. After that, every time I rode in the dirt the computer would reset two or three time. Reset during a race, during easy rides. Almost all the time. Computer has buttonless design, you push unit forward to change modes. If you hold it forward it will reset. If you ride anything other than flats and pavement it will eventually reset when you hit bumps. I removed mode switch from bottom w/pliers and now I use it on freeride bike. Out of the box it will be worthless in less than 1 month if you ride agressive/technical trails. Since I removed mode/reset button I can't change mode, but at least is get ride time, current speed, distance and time.

Cateye Enduro

[Jul 03, 2002]
smokey strodtman

OVERALL
Strength:

large, easy-to-read display with lots of info. ease of use. good instructions, easy to mount and set up.

handlebar clamp has to be very tight to keep from moving.

this computer ROCKS! one of my biggest complaints with other computers has been the small buttons that are hard to use while riding. with the planet bike model, you just give it a gentle tap forward in the bracket and the display changes. most of the important info is always there on all screens, but you can also find out your trip average speed, highest trip speed, and time very easily. it's also easy to remove from the bracket, just push it back and it pops out. i only use it on one bike, but it is set up so you can use it on another one with one easy adjustment. i don't run a computer on my mountain bike, wouldn't have that much time to look at it anyway. fortunately, i have not tested the crash-worthiness of the planet bike (yet, anyway!). i also have a planet bike cable lock, and have been impressed with it, also. after seeing how well this computer is designed, it's apparent that the people running the company are all riders and know what we need. five BIG flamers!

vetta RT-55 (had terrible luck with that one, see my review).

[Jul 02, 2002]
Manny

OVERALL
Strength:

Large screen with exactly the data that I want to see at once.

computer mount and zip tied sensor. So whats even worse?! My computer popped off after riding off a curb to avoid pedestrians. The horror I witnessed as it slid on the blacktop and was smashed repeatedly by incoming traffic. :(

An awesome computer! I'm a techno geek and like lots of data all at once. This does the trick! I just start riding, push UP 3 times and my screen gives me the numbers. GREAT!

5 chilis if u ride like a wimp because it'll never fall off.
3 chilis if u ride like a maniac.

[Dec 28, 2006]
Jerry Payne

OVERALL
Strength:

Big display, Easy to read, four lines od data at once.

The LCD screen will get dark if the air temp is way lower then the computer temp.

If you want a computer that is easy to read and be dead on then get the Planet Bike 8.0 computer. And at $16.99 it is hard to beat.

Bell Bike computer.

[Nov 16, 2003]
Scotty B

OVERALL
Strength:

One Screen. No buttons.

Computer will stick,resetting inadvertently.

The computer body itself started to stick about a month after use. I have to push it back AND forth to avoid resetting data. There is no second trip distance feature which is about the only feature I miss from my Cateye. I like to buttonless feature and being able to tell 5 readings w/o scanning through screens. Bottom line,this computer is adequate.

Vetta, Cat eye

[May 11, 2003]
George

OVERALL
Strength:

Compact, weather-sealed, easy to mount, sturdy wire, lots of info. on a single screen, easy to remove the computer unit, clock, good instructions. Accurate/easy to calibrate.

Back-light would be kind of nice. Maybe just a wee bit bigger display would be nice, too. Neither is required, though.

Another very nice product from Planet Bike.

[Jan 25, 2004]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

PRICE, buttonless design, easy to set up, basically everything

this computer really has held up for me thus far. hopefully, i wont get problems like the other reviewers mentioned. i had a race when the computer was literally covered in about a centimeter of mud (my whole bike was), and it has been fine ever since, never had any problems or anything with it.

Highly recommended

[Jun 04, 2006]
Christopher Krenz

OVERALL
Strength:

Continuously displays speed, mileage, and trip distance. Offers one of three other measurements while displaying the previously mentioned info. You can choose from the time of day, total mileage, or ave. and max speeds per trip. Easy to change from total mileage to time of day with a simple click. It records info for two different bikes if you choose to use it that way. It's a great training tool and I recommend it to all my friends.

The cord should be about a foot shorter so I wouldn't have to wrap it a dozen times around my front brake line.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced Cyclocomputer with everything you really need...GET THIS. You will be very happy you did. You can e-mail your THANK YOU to [email protected]

[Sep 18, 2003]
Mike English

OVERALL
Strength:

No buttons to push, easy to read and use.

Sometimes I can bike all day and not have any problems. Then other days, it just goes blank for a few minutes or a few hours. When it eventually decides to start working again, all of the settings are scrambled. I liked the design of this thing so well, I bought two of them. One with temperature and one without. They both have the same problem with going blank and then resetting. The temperature readings never were accurate, even when the rest of the computer was working.

It's a shame this thing is so poorly made because the concept is great. I have finally given up on these. I am hoping Cateye or somebody else makes one like this that works.

Cateye

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.