Avocet Watch Computer

Avocet Vertech Watch

[Apr 02, 2011]
Aryati

OVERALL
Strength:

yes. I always took a good care and maintain consistent at Avocet reapair

a good design and very neat

suunto

[Dec 19, 2010]
munrorunner

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool, easy to operate with gloves on and can be worn on outer sleeve. Good function for recording number of runs etc.

Battery replacement costly and frequent. Stop watch is seriously inaccurate and this is recognised by Vertech. Other functions are not accurate enough for serious outdoors activities. Casing can crack easily. Not reliable. Strap it comes with cracks after a couple of years and needs to be replaced with the elastic strap. No UK servicing station.

Cool for its day because it packed new technology at a good price but most of its functions are inaccurate and unreliable. Battery doesn't last long and is expensive to replace. Bottom line is that it is a false economy compare to a good equivalent such as a Suunto or Garmin.

Suunto Advizor.

[Nov 07, 2010]
Paul Gambin
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read, Easy to use, Holds daily, weekly and monthly accumulative data. Easy to reset, Love the Ski runs skied and the meters/feet skied data that is at a glance.

Its big, It doesn't fit under your SKi jacket sleeve easily, It looks like its from the seventies, A light would be great for night skiing/ walking. A lack of compass on an intended to use in the outdoors is a sin.

For all the gadgets, sometimes normal folk only want to use the basic functions. See weather changes before they hit. See how many ski runs I have for the day, and accumulated for the week / month etc. Ditto for the meters / feet skied. and tell the time. For this, my Vertech avocet ski watch has never let me down. Oh by the way. Its not that bad a thing to have to send the watch for a service and battery change. Cause when it comes back it works as well as the day i got it... That's not a bad thing when your relying on the watch to get you back safe.
Thanks Paul

NA

[Dec 26, 2009]
RideOnRideOnRideOn

OVERALL
Strength:

Fun to use and compair with known elevations

Short battery life. Same shortcomings as any altemeter. No light

This is an antique now. With today's GPS systems, using an altemeter and a map is so old-school that my younger companions look at me like I am taking readings with a sextant.

Realistically, I never used it for a serious trip. If I was going on a trip that needed an altemeter as if my life depended on it, I would bring another piece of equipment. So, at best it was an expensive novelty. It was fun to look at the storm warning come on and I could look at the sky and guess at least as accurately as the Avocet.

Oh, ya, by the way, it tells time (when the batteries aren't burned up.)

[Jun 10, 2009]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

Altimeter is very accurate once you learn how to use them. Works great with for trending. Good features like switchable from Alpine to Ski, Multi stop watch, Weather trending, altitude tracking and storing. Lighter then most. If damaged can get case replacements. Not as expensive as simular models that have simular featurs and test as accurate. I have beaten the daylights out it on many climbs and case was crushed once by postal service so Avocet replaced for free. Hold up to cave mud and moisture as well as alpine winter summits.

The watch band is cheap. Replace it. I use the elastic one most of the time. It could use a light. Worst complaint about it.

I have been reading the reviews and seemed surprised by some of the extreme pro and negative comments. Truth be told is has some missing things. You can change the battery but be careful of the clip that hold the battery. Don't take out the main guts. There are small parts that you can easily loose. Hate sending it in to change the battery, but do most of the time. It seriously needs an internal light, but I always keep a headlamp near by anyway. I love the replacement case idea. If you are looking for something to monitor pressure, altitude, trending has an alarm and time then seriously look at this. You have to replace the batteries about every year or every other, depending on climate and use. It's a pain but you seriously can do so yourself. It takes a CR 3032 watch battery, that's pretty common. Sending it off to be redone though has a plus of a tech looking it over and recalibrating if needed. Buy an elastic band option or replace with some funky nylon one. The standard one is lame. The product if very accurate. I have been using it since 1995 and use it to nail spot on topo points. I use it to check myself as well as trend weather. Be it kayaking, climbing, riding or backpacking in remote areas I try to always bring it in the backcountry.

Several models of altimeters, including GPS internals

[Oct 01, 2008]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Like the very easy controls (buttons).

The replacement battery wore out in less than three months??

The altimeter did not seem to accurate.

If I can get the battery to last I will use this often.

Garmin 305

[Jul 17, 2007]
Joy Fitzgerald

OVERALL
Strength:

Ease of use, durability, accuracy--used on AT, Rockies, and on fireline in KY & Indiana.

Temperature sensor tends to read higher than ambient air temp.--probably due to influence of body temp on wrist.

I have used this instrument to avoid incoming storms especially in tornado alley in Midwest and snow storms in Rockies. I will purchase another when this one quits. I purchased mine in 1998.

Brunton Kestral

[Apr 06, 1999]
Hiroshi
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

‚f‚‚‚„ appearance.
Smaller than CASIO.
Watch does work.
20laps stop watch: Good for race.
‚l‚‚„‚… ‚‰‚Ž USA (If Made in Japn,
Zero chili)

Only official distributor can exchange battery.
And it took 2 months.
Hard to use option functions.
Thermometer is a clinical thermometer.
Useless barometer.
Poor waterproof.

Please do not be nervous adout the altimeter.
It's enjoyable for a few hours ride.
But do not climb high mountain with this watch. (Nobody do?)
You will be a victim.

[Apr 06, 1999]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Works perfectly, very durable.

Have to send to factory for battery replacement.
No backlighting. (-1 chili!)
Face scratches easily.

Have used one for several years without incident, including Search & Rescue work in various conditions. I replaced the rubber strap it came with with a large nylon one from REI. The altimeter and barometer still work great, as do all functions. The altimeter has proved good to the manufacturer's claims of +/- 10 feet as long as you calibrate it like you have to with any altimeter. I just adjust it when I put it on in the morning.

[Mar 15, 1998]
Larry Thornon
downhiller

OVERALL

The Avocet watch has performed very well over the past few years. I have used it extensively while snow skiing in Colorado. It would be great to have some easy way to attach the watch to my ski jacket without having to stretch the band over my ski jacket. I would appreciate information on additional parts on the watch

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.