Yakima Viper Mount Bike Rack

The Yakima Viper Bike Mount carries any bike with 9mm stainless steel Long Throw Skewer and is compatible with single and dual piston disk brakes thanks to its unique die cast head. Mounts equally well to round or square crossbars. Drive as fast as you want, the Viper is completely secure at high speeds and on rough roads. Quick to install, secure, and fits the widest range of tires and rims with new wheeltray and wheelstrap.

[Jun 28, 2012]
Tim308
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Ease to install, remove/adjust.

Plastic clamp will not stay tight after long term use, and new skewer design hits mountain bike fork legs

There are two problems with this tray.

First is the plastic lever clamp design, the old steelhead trays had the same problem. Over time especially if you drive on a lot of bumpy roads / off road to get to trailheads the clamp develops slop, while the tray won't fall off the roof your bike can move around and the tray and slide at the skewer end on the round bars. All of the trays using this quick release plastic tension lever have had this problem I've used. On the old steelheads you could drill and bolt them on the round bars but that's not an option with the Viper. There's even youtube videos documenting this problem with the viper trays. Mine is only a couple years old and it's my middle tray so it doesn't see a lot of use unless it's a long trip with multiple bikes and it's already loose enough I can slide it on the round bars at the clamp. You can add a shim but it will just keep getting looser over time (played that game with the steelheads before I drilled and bolted them) Since drilling and bolting them I've used them for 10+ years and never had a problem.

I recommend the copperhead/boa trays, their bolt on design means it's never going to loosen or fail. Plus they are cheaper, it's win-win.

The second problem is the new skewer, the knurled adjustment area on the lever side is so big that it won't work on either of my mountain bikes, only my road bike. It hits the fork leg on both my fox forks and doesn't allow them to seat all the way onto the skewer.

Overall.....I love the yak stuff but this one is a total failure. The only way I'd recommend it is if you drove only on pavement, and only transported a road bike, even then buy the copperhead/boa, it's cheaper and does a better job.

Yakima steelhead, boa/copperhead

[Oct 06, 2006]
Peter

OVERALL
Strength:

This rack has truly been worth the money. I got a great deal for this on eBay.

Zilch

I have absolutely no worries about the stability or the security of my bike. It's so much more convenient than putting my bike in the trunk of my sedan.

Trunk of my car.

[May 24, 2004]
trailtoad

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, easy to use. The whole yakima system/bike took on my garage last year...wish the car had held up like the rack did! (did I say that out loud?)

Price

The viper does everything I need it to. Locks easily and holds the bike firm...(As for security, not sure why you would leave your ride on top of your car overnight...if someone really wants your bike, and you give them that kind of time, leave the key in the lock and save yourself the damage)

Hollywood Racks

[Apr 10, 2003]
Mocky

OVERALL
Strength:

Does what its suppose to. Easy to secure/release rear wheel.

Hard to open/close the fork clamp. Bike wobbles a bit. I think I paid too much.

Wish I got Ankle Biters instead.

Thule Velo Vise

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.