Yakima SpareROC Bike Rack

Get the strongest spare-tire bike mount made! SpareROC carries up to two bikes with adjustable, gentle World Strap Cradles. Patented design with solid steel TreadPlate will mount to most spare tires. World Strap Cradles provide integrated bike stability and are easy on your bike's finish. Outboard location of bikes offers excellent ground clearance and doesn't interfere with your access to the vehicle. Upgrade frame fits, security and visibility with optional accessories, (all sold separately).

[Oct 04, 2002]
JC

OVERALL
Strength:

DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, COMPATIBILTY

EXTRA COST FOR SECURITY FEATURE

SEARCHED LONG AND HARD UNTIL I FOUND THIS RACK. ABLE TO MOUNT MANY ODDLY-SHAPED FRAMES LIKE RAVEN, SUPER-V WITH NO PROBLEM. SCARY (W/O OPTIONAL $40.00 LOCK) LEAVING VEHICLE UNATTENDED FOR ANY REASON OR PERIOD OF TIME. VALUE SUFFERS BECAUSE THE LOCK IS SOLD SEPERATELY.

NONE

[Mar 24, 2003]
JD

OVERALL
Strength:

Customer support! Solid construction. Fast installation - once the male bracket had initially been installed under the spare. Rides high and out of my rearview line of sight. Doubles as a repair stand in a pinch.

The bike cradles come with bungee straps and the ratcheting strap cradles are about $72 a pair. It would be nice if they were like a $20 upgrade. I can't complain for the price I actually paid. Vibration is distracting but I'll get used to watching my bikes shake in the rearview.

I was going to spend all kinds of $$$ on a cartop mount for my RAV4 until I stumbled onto this mount. Then I found a couple on ebay. I paid $27 plus $37 for shipping. I need to replace all the rubber straps and that's another $18, bringing my total to ~$82 used vs. ~$205 new (w/ CA tax).
It's really a great bike carrier. I'd give it 5 chilis for value but having to shell out extra $$$ for a whole new set of better cradles could be improved. But hey. How many cyclists buy a complete bike just for the frame then dump the components on ebay? I guess this falls into that bracket.

Various cartop racks or take the rear seats out my RAV4 and toss a bike in the back.

[Aug 13, 2003]
JP

OVERALL
Strength:

Holding ability...That's about it...what is a rack supposed to do???

I guess cost...but I spent way too much money on my bike to worry about it getting ran over once it fell off my jeep...

Good stuff...for all the folks that said it moved around alot on the tire...come on now...did you just buy your jeep? I don't know about yours' but my jeep drives like a radio-flyer...

N/A

[May 07, 2002]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

solid design
mounts bikes high- no chance of scraping on hills or dips.
easy to install and remove.

unless you buy a security upgrade kit, the rack is easy to steal. Though it would be useless without the mountly plate, I'm sure eventually someone would take it. other than that.... I don't see anything bad.

It was this rack or have a hitch installed and buy the 2-inch hitch model. I saved over $250 going this route and it seems just as solid.
I've seen other spare racks and this one looks to be the strongest out there. Feels more like a "real rack" than just strapping you bike to the tire.
This rack is perfect for Jeep owners, or anyone with a spare in the back. Very solid, well made and really easy to use.

[Jun 25, 2002]
Jeremy

OVERALL
Strength:

Very sturdy design!
Easy to install and take off
High ground clearance
Easy to get bikes on and off

The only one is security issue, although it is easily resolved by buying yourself a Master Lock bec. the lock fits the holes in the attachment bolt. Quick easy fix instead of buying Yakima's security kit!

This rack is awesome! It is so easy to use and the bikes go on secure. I have never had a problem with this rack. It works great for on the Jeep! I am happy that I went with this model instead of the other ones (not from Yakima) that look like they just hang the bike from the tire!

The bottom line is: You have a Jeep, you have a bike, you need this rack!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.