Yakima MightyMounts Bike Rack

These versatile connectors grab the crossbars of virtually any factory-installed roof rack, adapting it for use with Yakima accessory mounts. Available in vertical and horizontal styles, and a variety of shapes to fit different kinds of crossbars. Can be used with a wide variety of Yakima mounts and accessories to carry skis, snowboards, bikes or luggage (refer to Yakima's Fit List). Install easily without tools. Refer to Yakima's Fit List for the right size/shape to fit your specific vehicle.

[Aug 18, 2003]
Russ

OVERALL
Strength:

does what its supposed to, cheap

none so far

if your car already has racks, $30 Mighty Mounts beat the hell out of $180 Yakima rack

trunk

[May 13, 2007]
Josh
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

The universal mighty mounts enables you to install any type of factory rack cross-bar system.

The design allows easy access for a thief, thus the DESIGN is the obvious weakness. I bought these universal mighty mounts for multiple racks,and specifically for mounting my ski rack to rental SUV's when traveling. These mounts are basically clamps that pivot on one end and tighten on the other through multiple set-ups. The design flaw is in the nuts that tighten onto the bolts. These are basically nuts with finger wheels mounted on the outside so that there is no need for any tools. It also lets a thief steel anything above the roof rack, i.e. bikes, skis, rack attachments, etc in a matter of seconds. Of course, you can purchase the optional lock attachments ($12.00) to accept the Yakima cores ($9.00), times 4 for a grand total of over $130.00. How Yakima can justify the costs for this system is simply beyond my comprehension. Horrible design in this regard, but they do clamp well. If I had to buy these I would throw away the wheel nuts and replace with locking washers and regular nuts, but these clamps are plastic, so beware of over tightening.

I guess if you use these to mount your bike racks to the top of an SUV, you could also buy a cable to loop through your bikes, wheels, and back around the factory roof rack, and then feel safe enough on the road, but you will still have to worry if someone will steel your rack if you keep them attached. Yakima's response to my complaint was that if a thief wants something, they're going to get it. I find that an insult and an easy way for a kid to get into trouble by making it idiot proof to steel. After many years of preferring Yakima over Thule, they lost me on this blunder in design. I returned before I even finished mounting on vehicle.

For ski racks, the vehicle specific MM's such as the 2V and 10V, but these are simply too light for bikes.

[Apr 17, 2008]
Carl G

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive and sturdy mounts. They put a kung-fu grip on my Forrester cross bars. No playing. Simple to install, and they work with many of the Yakima roof products. I also believe I read they work with some Thule products as well. They accept the SKS lock cores. You only need one since if there is just one mount that wont come off, its as good as secure. They also come with some bolts you can use instead of the wing nuts. In any event, let the mounts mount and the security devices provide security.

They are plastic. This means a thief can dremel through them in a matter of seconds.

I would buy these again. I recommend them to friends as well. They get the job done.

Saris Guardian

[Sep 26, 2007]
William

OVERALL
Strength:

Super easy installation, they allow you to use your factory rack instead of buying cross bars, they adapt to anything you want to mount on your roof. Oh, and at $30 for a set it is super cheap.

Sold in sets of four, but you need three to mount each Yakima Raptor that I've got. I am not sure how many mighty mounts you need to use the other bike racks or ski racks, etc. but it would make more sense to sell them one at a time so you don't have to buy extra mounts (I have another Raptor for my wife's bike so I needed six mounts in all). Why am I complaining though when a set of four is only $30?

Listen, if you are so afraid that someone is going to rip your gear off your roof either replace the bolts that come with it with something more unique, like star pattern screw heads instead of wing nuts. Or better yet, buy a bottle of crazy glue and soak those bolts with it. Or even better, buy a different system. The theif would still need an allen/hex wrench to get my bikes because the Raptor/Mighty Mount combo requires nuts and bolts not the big plastic wing nuts (all hardware possibly needed is included, by the way, in the $30). I also sprang for the Yakima lock system. This is a good product that does what it was meant to do. Allow every day weekend warriors like myself to travel with their bikes without having to spend a zillion dollars.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.